Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
New England Storm Dicussion - January 11-12

Baroclinic Zone

Agree 12-16 should be good to start

like ryan says i'm kinda lookin at the gfs and the ML centers.....seems messenger is trying to will that solution to fruition.

Matt noyes says 495 down to E Ct. for Jpot.....so i guess i'll go with him.:whistle:

poor bigrombalski.......she says her snowblower can only handle 6 inches...........pretty sad LOL.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The EURO gave n NJ 1" of QPF right before the blizzard and it worked out pretty well for them.

I'm not sure why you keep hammering away on that; we all know that no professional should relay that to their clients, but storms like this are capable of that.

I'd go 9-18" if I were you.

The difference is that the H7 low pivoted right over them. I'm not quite sure we'll see the H7 low stall and pivot like that.

If amounts over 20" occurred....I think they will be confined to a relatively narrow area where a band from hell sets up for a long duration. The storm simply isn't long duration enough for this to be a HECS.

Maybe that will change at the last second, and we see a 06z NAM type run from last night where it prolongs the heavier snow...but until that happens, I think people need to realize that you might end up with 7-10" if you miss out on banding or are just unlucky.

Its possible too that we see a ton of high end MECS amounts too, but expecting that as the floor for this storm is setting yourself up for disappointment. The one positive I'll say is that qpf has slowly been rising amongst the consensus of guidance rather than decreasing.

Who is expecting those amounts? They are mentioned as a possibility because there is a chance some spots see those type of amts

The EURO gave n NJ 1" of QPF right before the blizzard and it worked out pretty well for them.

I'm not sure why you keep hammering away on that; we all know that no professional should relay that to their clients, but storms like this are capable of that.

I'd go 9-18" if I were you.

Sure its capable of dumping 2 feet on someone if it works out perfect, but perfection is not easy to attain in every storm. Its possible nobody anywhere sees those amounts.

Peabody, MA had 36" in Dec 2003....my dad had 26"

W ME had near 30" in Dec of 2008....the 2nd of the double barrel events.

Right..the areas that get that are small..and impossible to predict where..but the chance is certainly good enough to be mentioned. I would if I was on air..Just mention amts like that in a few select spots are within the realm of possibility

Who is expecting those amounts? They are mentioned as a possibility because there is a chance some spots see those type of amts

yeah but think about it...if weenies on here get pissed when someone puts out a range of 9-14 and they only get 10...think what people who don't know crap about the weather think when they hear 12 to 18 with some spots seeing 24 to 30. all they hear is 24 to 30. LOL.

The difference is that the H7 low pivoted right over them. I'm not quite sure we'll see the H7 low stall and pivot like that.

Ok....I realize it takes a fluke of luck and I already said that I expect around 1'.....even if someone does greab 25", I don't expect it to be me because of where the cf is likely to set up.

I'm not going to flip out if I don't get 2'.....I know that is what Will is thinking.

Yeah that's going to prevent this from really going crazy in any given location. I'm worried that the H7 low starts to wrap up too late for my region and areas in E MA could cash in.

I saw the WSI RPM/WRF really goes nuts with the CCB pretty far west... basically north of NYC!

let's let that sink in.

i would think i nice 8-12 snow is on the way with lolli of 16 -18

why people try to set themselves up for something less stellar is beyond me.

i really am not gonna have much patience if someone gets 14 inches and is bitching. i mean it is their perrogative but it is mine to b**ch back as well.

Are you kidding? People freak out in this state over 3'' of snowfall, stores become packed...everyone acts like they will not be able to get food for weeks.

Plus when you mention a range of snowfall totals people ALWAYS pay attention to the higher number you have listed rather than the lowest number you have listed.

People bug out in this state whenever a "major" snowstorm is forecast all thanks to '78. the likely hood of that ever repeating(in terms of shuting down the state for three days etc.) is very remote...but people are paranoid

Right..the areas that get that are small..and impossible to predict where..but the chance is certainly good enough to be mentioned. I would if I was on air..Just mention amts like that in a few select spots are within the realm of possibility

Totally agree...and it is pretty impossible to predict exactly where right now, this is why I basically have that broad area on my map, as we get closer and get a better idea than you can fine tune these sort of things.

yeah but think about it...if weenies on here get pissed when someone puts out a range of 9-14 and they only get 10...think what people who don't know crap about the weather think when they hear 12 to 18 with some spots seeing 24 to 30. all they hear is 24 to 30. LOL.

Right....I already said that I wouldn't mention that if I were a pro.....

The last two years have been tough on sne as a whole. It seems its been a long time since all of sne saw a uniform event, region wide, this should be that storm. I think the enthusiasm is to be expected because of the aforementioned statement. This looks like a fantastic daytime storm, especially east of the Ct. River, I hope everyone cashes in and nobody is left out.

Bring it.

LOL..all I know is what I expect in MBY 13-14

Well after last storm when people were kind of disappointed over 12"...I think its reasonable to say those types of amounts are unlikely....even if its meteorologically possible. If we see more signs of a mid-level capture and subsequent 6 hour stall....then we can consider the possibility a bit more seriously.

Yeah that's going to prevent this from really going crazy in any given location. I'm worried that the H7 low starts to wrap up too late for my region and areas in E MA could cash in.

I saw the WSI RPM/WRF really goes nuts with the CCB pretty far west... basically north of NYC!

Yeah I've been watching that. It's come west, but the model can do strange things.

People bug out in this state whenever a "major" snowstorm is forecast all thanks to '78. the likely hood of that ever repeating(in terms of shuting down the state for three days etc.) is very remote...but people are paranoid

I might just take a gander into Stop & Shop tomorrow and witness all the craziness that will be ensuing.

Ok....I realize it takes a fluke of luck and I already said that I expect around 1'.....even if someone does greab 25", I don't expect it to be me because of where the cf is likely to set up.

I'm not going to flip out if I don't get 2'.....I know that is what Will is thinking.

This may be a little more juiced up, and if it slows..I suppose a 20-24" amount is possible, but I would never go for that right now...unless 00z does something crazy. I know what you mean though, you're saying it's possible.

Well after last storm when people were kind of disappointed over 12"...I think its reasonable to say those types of amounts are unlikely....even if its meteorologically possible. If we see more signs of a mid-level capture and subsequent 6 hour stall....then we can consider the possibility a bit more seriously.

When people get disappointed over getting just that and start expecting insane totals that's their fault for expecting it :lol:

I think we could certainly see some isolated totals >20'' but in no way, shape or form am I expecting to see that occur here nor will I be disappointed if it doesn't happen. I expect at least a good 10'' here, so if I end up with around that I'll be happy.

Archived