joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Coastal Storm Potential - Jan 11-12 II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

before we start going nuts on the 18z please folks remember iITS THE 18Z RUN!!! does not include actual upper air and the 18z runs, particularly the GFS, have the worst verification of ANY run of ANY other time....I mean no offense to anyone but once you take a Numerical prediction class you understand not to take on run literally..look for 3-5 run trends and use the means and spreads

That'd be AWT.

Gun to head, which way do the NAM/GFS/Euro go?

I think I mentioned before, I favor a track closer to ACK...maybe a hair SE. Basically right between the BM and the more amped up solutions. The 5h seems to want to support something like that...though obviously there's enough time for that to change.

Agreed 100%

I bet the GFS and NAM pretty much hold serve from 18z.

15z SREFs had some incredibly amped up solutions!!!

One of the early signs will be the handling of the older 500 up near the Dakotas. The 18z's that went east displaced it west a bit. The 18z RGEM and NAM are in an identical spot in SD east of Ellsworth AFB at 48h. I think we want that east too, it was a pretty big shift that started early in the run. It's all tied in together of course but something easy to follow. The further east the better I think overall.

The RGEM spilt the difference maintaining a better structure into the TN/OH Valley which would be important but it too rotated that feature west from earlier runs in the Dakotas.

I think everyone needs to understand it's one run, and we're merely discussing one run. It was't a trend, it was one run.

Agreed 100%

I bet the GFS and NAM pretty much hold serve from 18z.

15z SREFs had some incredibly amped up solutions!!!

meh, I don't think the NAM holds. There'll be notable changes. Not say it brings the low way NW again, but the 18z run WAS a little funky. I think we'll see some tastes of the 12z NAM and 18z GFS come together

Well guys have fun, here. I probably won't post again until I am in Mississippi in two months. I hope the rest of the winter treats everyone well. Now that I am leaving on Tuesday, but really I won't have internet access tomorrow afternoon on, I just want to say that Cape COd, MA might see a three foot snowstorm this winter. Heads up Phil. Lol

I think I mentioned before, I favor a track closer to ACK...maybe a hair SE. Basically right between the BM and the more amped up solutions. The 5h seems to want to support something like that...though obviously there's enough time for that to change.

Will, earlier (and a couple of times) Tip was mentioning this event having an analog of 12/9/05... did that come up on the CIPS site, or are there other similarities? It seems weaker, but I really don;t know much about how analogs are derived.

Well guys have fun, here. I probably won't post again until I am in Mississippi in two months. I hope the rest of the winter treats everyone well. Now that I am leaving on Tuesday, but really I won't have internet access tomorrow afternoon on, I just want to say that Cape COd, MA might see a three foot snowstorm this winter. Heads up Phil. Lol

Good luck! My bro is in the Air Force (reserves, now). Enjoy TX

good luck, bro!

Hey good luck...stay safe...and thanks for your service in protection and support of all of us!

Be Safe!

meh, I don't think the NAM holds. There'll be notable changes. Not say it brings the low way NW again, but the 18z run WAS a little funky. I think we'll see some tastes of the 12z NAM and 18z GFS come together

It's interesting that right from the get go it's handling the vorticity up near the CAN border differently while having heights with the easterly moving s/w more in line with the 12z. Sure I know there will be "changes" each run but it seems we cannot get any stability at all.

Will, earlier (and a couple of times) Tip was mentioning this event having an analog of 12/9/05... did that come up on the CIPS site, or are there other similarities? It seems weaker, but I really don;t know much about how analogs are derived.

I doubt it would show up. There are distinct differences. The half wavelength of this storm is like 5 times that of Dec 05 lol.

Tip I think was comparing the potential convective potency over SNE.

No I think there's people that take things out of context. I could say what I think which is that the UKMET is largely way east, the GEFS/NAM just trended significantly east and the 18z NOGAPs trended east too even though it wasn't a hit to begin with but I'm for some reason afraid of offending people over weather. Why dont you leave the comedy to Seinfeld and we stick to the weather during the storm?

I also wonder why there is no talk of the potential for an inverted trough again this time.

CONUS_UKMET_1000-500_SLPTHKPRP_72HR.gif

LOL, No, we full time residents of the SNE thread are a jovial bunch and enjoy playful banter throughout the year. This time period is BEFORE the storm not during. Also, if you're seeing trends that lead you to believe this storm will fizzle or be OTS make the call. After accusing Phil of making bold predictions only after the event has passed I'm sure you wouldn't want to be guilty of the same thing. I have read an immense amount of analysis from Pro mets today and I don't think anyone is talking about this storm sh iting the bed. Sam has expressed some concern about a 'screw zone' with a center leap but the consensus seems to be this is a fairly straight forward show. Again, as I have said before I actually am interested in your thoughts and as a true proponent of free speech I would never seek to silence your or anyone's thoughts. However, I am not afraid to point out that you seem to have a penchant for looking for all the ways a system can fail. Who knows, perhaps you will be the one that nails this as a failure but in the face of overwhelming opinions to the contrary I'll stick with the idea that this will indeed be a major system. Please, keep ferreting out possible problems/pitfalls with this and any other systems that come our way. That's what an open forum is for , the free expression of thoughts and ideas. Just don't be surprised when people choose to comment on your comments. It's part of the game. This isn't a matter of life and death, keep it in perspective. Have fun Scott and Think Snow !!

Archived