• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
The Jan 9-10 Storm Part 3

MotoWeatherman

Please forgive me I'm new...I'm confused as to how NWS RAH is issuing WSW for all of Central NC while no precipitation is making it to RDU...How can there be so much discrepancy?

I was talking more about the 0z nam run. There have been other model runs that have brought .5 qpf w/ some snow, sleet, and freezing rain. If we ended up w/ something like that it would definitely reach warning criteria. The NWS has to be cautious and keep the general public safety in mind.

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love this run to death. In the big picture, its upping amounts, further east, so the trends are what you look at from a determistic model standpoint, plus we remain colder in NC. The 5H vort is way stronger than any model showed in Miss., so that alone argues for better moisture and rates here, regardless if the NAM sees it, which I hate that model, but its trends are useful. I'm still a little afraid of too much moisture and warm advection , per RUC though, which would give western TEnn and nrn Ala and Miss the big snow, and some areas around Arkansas a rare huge snow. Hard to pinpoint now, but the trends are still in the Srn Apps favor, especially around northern and extreme northeast Georgia, which could be the sweet spot. We'll see what the GFS thinks, but for the western Carolinas its about RUC and SREF time.

I don't know how you can look at the trends and tell me that they look good for anyone except far SW NC.

It is a mistake/data problem....or else Cheeznado has gone mad....which is entirely possible.

Maybe I have tried many areas in Tennessee and they are all below 5 degrees so I was wondering if anyone else has noticed the same thing??

I don't know how you can look at the trends and tell me that they look good for anyone except far SW NC.

I was wondering that as well. There is a brick wall up in western and southern NC through which no precip passes. The vort is "much" stronger and the precip here is even less. What should we be pulling for here? I'm totally confused now.

per the nam I think Robert is about spot on.. I think the ice on the back end will be tricky.

either way we should have some fun :snowman:

yes the interiror of the Carolinas and northern third of Ga will have a bout of freezing drizzle aftter the snow, per all models. The incoming strong s/w divergence will keep mid level moisture falling lightly into 26 or 28 degree air.

So how do you explain the NAM not showing any precip for RDU?

I said "I love this run" , obviously I'm not in Chapel Hill , but the runs are continuously holding the 5H in tact further and having trouble showing the qpf for your area, but who's to say thats right. This could be Dec. 2000 in reverse, where the models nailed the piedmont and the WC sent Jim Cantore here under sunny skies. Its really going to come down to the track of the 5H vort and how long it holds together, and it will fall apart, eventually ( I guess) but the trends are futher east. You'll somehow still end up more than me I bet. You always do.

Maybe I have tried many areas in Tennessee and they are all below 5 degrees so I was wondering if anyone else has noticed the same thing??

The local forecast is showing 6 degrees here in Chatt...in reality we will be in the upper teens...All their weather is digitally extracted...someone just hit a wrong button or else a processor fried somewhere along the way to publishing. But this thread is not really for TWC computer problems. :arrowhead:

I love this run to death. In the big picture, its upping amounts, further east, so the trends are what you look at from a determistic model standpoint, plus we remain colder in NC. The 5H vort is way stronger than any model showed in Miss., so that alone argues for better moisture and rates here, regardless if the NAM sees it, which I hate that model, but its trends are useful. I'm still a little afraid of too much moisture and warm advection , per RUC though, which would give western TEnn and nrn Ala and Miss the big snow, and some areas around Arkansas a rare huge snow. Hard to pinpoint now, but the trends are still in the Srn Apps favor, especially around northern and extreme northeast Georgia, which could be the sweet spot. We'll see what the GFS thinks, but for the western Carolinas its about RUC and SREF time.

Foothills...I have to agree with you 100 percent and I'll tell you why.

By looking at this new run...IMBY we have all the incredients needed...

Precip...

more than suitable 850's...

good lift and 700mb RH from around 12z Monday until between 0z and 6 z Tuesday...

So in other words, we have 12 hours in which we'll have the QPF, the 850's will be in the -3 to -4 range and there will be enough saturation at the dendric level (which was a great concern in GSP's afternoon forecast package)

Infact the 0z NAM would argue, as you said for more snow and less mix especially for those along the US 74 cooridor and Northward in Western North Carolina.

I have to admit, I'm about ready to throw in the towel for the RDU area. Very dry air, combined with anemic lift means that it will take twice as long to saturate the column. If RDU only receives .3 total QPF, half of that will go into saturating the column, leaving virtually nothing left. This is beginning to look like a nasty, cold, drizzly mess.

I agree...It's looking like we're going to end up w/ 3 cold, cloudy, drizzly days.

I have to admit, I'm about ready to throw in the towel for the RDU area. Very dry air, combined with anemic lift means that it will take twice as long to saturate the column. If RDU only receives .3 total QPF, half of that will go into saturating the column, leaving virtually nothing left. This is beginning to look like a nasty, cold, drizzly mess.

Do you work at the NWS?

Two questions:

1. What is the typical bias(not just for this storm) of the NAM at this point? Is it too far NW, too far SW, does it wrap-up the low, qpf, etc?

2. Foothills mentioned that warm air advection and moisture to far west would mean more snow out west and I am assuming less the further east you go. Is that because the reflection of the low going west of the Apps would go too far west? What are the implications for all west of Mississippi if that happens?

Robert, I noticed a significant increase in moisture off the coast just south of Charleston on hours 45-54 vs the 18z run, does this have to do with your trending stronger and east? From your posts you sound like the upper air features look good but the surface features have not completely caught up. I'm hoping that since our moisture is progged to begin 12 hours after yours that it will take 2 extra model runs for the precip to match what should be happening. I guess in the end, our CAD that we normally are dying to have is going to squash our moisture. You win some you, you lose some.

NAM just wrecks NW Georgia! I'm in the 7-8" range which would be amazing :scooter::thumbsup: Near Rome gets close to 10"!! This is going off Raleigh's page btw

Yep...hard to believe we are less than 24 hours from kickoff and it still looks this good for us. I do feel sorry that not everyone is going to cash in on this but I sure am ready.

perfect comma head been showing up for the Carolinas run , after run , after run.

36, 42, 48. This is a dream storm.

post-38-0-46183800-1294541447.gif

post-38-0-01730100-1294541456.gif

post-38-0-13180900-1294541467.gif

You have really been out front on this one Robert. Looks like the models are trending towards the thoughts you put out days ago. I like how the models are trending wetter and wetter in N GA and southwest NC. All that snow should be headed your way.:thumbsup:

Where is Dawson? He just got crushed on that run.:snowman:

Archived