Newest Member
    e46ds1x
The Jan 9-10 Storm Part 3

MotoWeatherman

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't it happen last Winter?

The GFS is going the way of RUC tonight. Much stronger 5H in northern La. Precip more north and expansive, yet still not enough, per real data from RUC. Its getting there though.

Might still get something descent even verbatim out of the GFS since the light snow sticks around longer with the lower temps drunk.gif

The GFS is going the way of RUC tonight. Much stronger 5H in northern La. Precip more north and expansive, yet still not enough, per real data from RUC. Its getting there though.

I had snow on the ground, but it was old, somewhat patchy. This will be a solid fresh blanket Monday AM.

But, I'm not greedy, if you could have it, I would let all you guys have it all. I'm hoping we trend away from any freezing drizzle.

At least here, it seems like every snow we have had has involved models catching up and doing basically what you had suggested, so I'm expecting nothing different this time.

hopefully the colder temps can help with ratios to still give a nice accumulation. it would be nice to see the models really ramp up the qpf tomorrow like they did with the christmas storm on christmas eve

edited to add: just saw the snow map on twister, showing a solid 3" across n al, n ga and the upstate by hour 39

Might still get something descent even verbatim out of the GFS since the light snow sticks around longer with the lower temps drunk.gif

This run is great at 5H and even better but obviously fails at the QPf which its doing from teh get go, and it will play catch up. The cutoff will bring a nice swath either side of it , and that crosses right across western NC around 42 hours.

I had snow on the ground, but it was old, somewhat patchy. This will be a solid fresh blanket Monday AM.

But, I'm not greedy, if you could have it, I would let all you guys have it all. I'm hoping we trend away from any freezing drizzle.

At least here, it seems like every snow we have had has involved models catching up and doing basically what you had suggested, so I'm expecting nothing different this time.

Your'e golden for a big event. Smack in the middle. Probably over 6".

Geez Louise, this is starting to become a faith versus science issue. I feel like I'm watching an episode of Lost! We all know how that turned out!! I want to give up on this storm seeing all the global models forecasting a minor event for Charlotte. But Robert keeps my hopes/faith alive. The 0Z NAM had me going there but the GFS keeps me back to reality. Why can't the globals just bring it home?! I don't know what to think anymore.

This run is great at 5H and even better but obviously fails at the QPf which its doing from teh get go, and it will play catch up. The cutoff will bring a nice swath either side of it , and that crosses right across western NC around 42 hours.

Your'e golden for a big event. Smack in the middle. Probably over 6".

Yeah I was about to complain about the low QPF it's printing out, glad to see the run has redeeming qualities to it...I'm sure it's not helping FFC's confidence though, they're right on the edge of dropping amounts it seems like.

00z GFS is depressing for pretty much everyone in NC, even in the SW corner.

Luckily, folks there are watching reality, called RUC and SREF.

Geez Louise, this is starting to become a faith versus science issue. I feel like I'm watching an episode of Lost! We all know how that turned out!! I want to give up on this storm seeing all the global models forecasting a minor event for Charlotte. But Robert keeps my hopes/faith alive. The 0Z NAM had me going there but the GFS keeps me back to reality. Why can't the globals just bring it home?! I don't know what to think anymore.

It looks like precip expanded more in NC geographically this run, but not enough, per SREF and probably RUC. I've never seen the GFS accurately forecast a snow storm in CLT or points west, except maybe AVL region. The trend matters.The 5H is coming right across NC and I don't see it evaporating instantly.

sticking with my 3-6 with ice /crust on top call from yesterday. I'll have to say the 3 looks alot more likely at the moment. I'm not as swayed with model to model runs, and feel that we should accomplish a few inches and some freezing drizzle on top minimum. If im gonna change anything it will be tommorow night, but the track for this storm doesnt get any better for our area. Everything is in place, just have to keep the vort closed as long as possible and be weary of the very dry airmass. I still feel confident at the moment.

i just dont see how our area overcomes the 850s all the models are showing even it we do see enough moisture to produce. if it were border line than maybe but when the precip is here the 0 line is in VA

It looks like precip expanded more in NC geographically this run, but not enough, per SREF and probably RUC. I've never seen the GFS accurately forecast a snow storm in CLT or points west, except maybe AVL region. The trend matters.The 5H is coming right across NC and I don't see it evaporating instantly.

I am glad we have mets like you and the others to tell us about the weather. Some in the eastern part of the state think they are mets. Heck they even get it right every once in a while. Keep up good work Robert.

KLM AFD Valid 933 PM EST Sat Jan 8 2011

Synopsis...

dry...Arctic high pressure will remain over the area through Sunday.

A significant storm system will produce a wintry mix of

precipitation from early Monday morning through Tuesday morning

across the forecast area. Cold high pressure will build over the

eastern Carolinas in the wake of this storm system through middle week.

&&

Near term /through tonight/...

as of 9 PM Saturday...have issued a Winter Storm Watch for all

counties except the 3 coastal counties...Georgetown...Brunswick and

New Hanover counties. Have come within 3 time periods from the start

of the wintry precipitation early Monday morning with the area to receive

frozen and freezing precipitation that could make treacherous Road conditions

within the watch area.

For the overnight period...the cold instability SC/cumulus has for the

most part scoured out via latest Sat imagery and the lost of the

days insolation. Cold air advection and much drier air to continue overnight...with

single digit dewpoints across much of the forecast area by daybreak

Sunday. This played out well by the models progression of 925mb and

850mb temperatures and partial thicknesses by daybreak Sunday. This will

keep a well maximized boundary layer and thus prevent lows tonight

from bottoming out. Wind chill readings will drop into the low to middle

teens at times.

&&

Short term /Sunday through Monday night/...

as of 3 PM Saturday...low pressure will move across the northern

Gulf of Mexico sun into Monday before turning up the East Coast Monday

night into Tuesday. Latest GFS/NAM have trended slightly slower

with the movement of the low. Slowly modifying Arctic air mass in

place sun will set the stage for the winter precipitation event which

should start as snow early Monday.

hould be quite a spread of wintry weather across the area with northwest

counties having mostly snow through much of the event with a

potential change to light freezing rain or ice pellets by Monday night. Far

southeast will be mostly rain though it could begin as snow. In

between... we should see the gamut with snow at the beginning all

areas with a change to rain south and east and some kind of wintry

mix north and west. Snow/ice pellets amounts could be as high as 4 to 6

inches northwest counties and less than an inch NC coast and good chunks of

coastal SC.

Event should occur mainly in the 4th period and have not raised any

type of watch...will continue to mention threat in severe weather potential statement. The usual

caveats apply regarding storm track and strength for determining

p-type.

&&

Long term /Tuesday through Saturday/...

as of 3 PM Saturday...low pressure will be off Cape Fear around

daybreak Tuesday...with a lot of middle-level dry air wrapping in

behind it. Precipitation will be slow to wind down...as the current

forecast carries low chance probability of precipitation through midday for the NC counties.

However... by then the soundings look just warm enough below 850mb

and just dry enough above that any p-type issues should be behind

US.

Sprawling high pressure will dominate for the remainder of the

week...with ridge axis making its way from the northern plains late

Tuesday...into the Carolinas Friday night and Saturday. The result

will be dry and unseasonably cold weather...with lows in the 20s and

highs in the 40s through most of the week. Only on Saturday will we

start to see a rebound in temperatures...with highs actually near normal.

current obs, front moved through Mid-after noon...

31.1 °F ClearWindchill:

19 °F

Humidity:51%

Dew Point:15 °F

Wind:20.4 mph from the NNW

Wind Gust:20.6 mph

Pressure:29.90 in (Rising)

Ok Robert, thanks for the reply. Hey, I'm definitely in your corner. I finished watching Lost with some doubts, may as well keep this drama going!:popcorn:

How will the trend to stronger effect the upper level warming and P-types? Is the current depiction about right, in your opinion, or will it play catch-up like you think the precip amounts will?

OMG... Half snow and HALF freezing rain?? Or would that other half be sleet AND freezing rain?

That would be horrible for the power lines. A nightmare for the roads.

I can't tell you all of that.. i have 6 hr intervals.. but .42 should be mainly snow.. then between there and the freezing rain.. a little sleet.. then freezing rain...

hopefully the gfs isn't detecting super precip rates during .42 and it will push the warm nose away.

I can't tell you all of that.. i have 6 hr intervals.. but .42 should be mainly snow.. then between there and the freezing rain.. a little sleet.. then freezing rain...

hopefully the gfs isn't detecting super precip rates during .42 and it will push the warm nose away.

Good Grief. Do you have the wood piled up or the generator??? I know I do. Oh boy, this is bad..so bad.

Archived