Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
The Jan 9-10 Storm Part 3

MotoWeatherman

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look at the radar in TX right now it looks like it's already doing better than the recent models had it.

exactly.

Wow... A bullseye over Columbia? Please tell me a good bulk of that is NOT freezing rain. We SIMPLY DO NOT need freezing rain. That would be TERRIBLE.

for a while now the models have really been nailing the midlands of SC with ice. You'll get some snow, but then you'll get freezing rain and end up with freezing drizzle for a while, and it looks like the freezing rain and drizzle part will accumulate a lot. I'd pay extra attention to tomorrow's trends. Ice over .50" is a bad hit.

take it with a grain of salt. the nam was around 7 inches on bufkit application.. with like .24 only of frozen rain.. so yeah take an in-between.

Thank you for your help. I greatly appreciate it. I hope we don't lose our power or we can get mostly sleet and less freezing rain. That would be better for you and I.

Thanks again.

:facepalm: at WSB in Atlanta... Brad Nitz was like... " we expect a quick change over to sleet and freezing rain tomorrow night." Literally their in house model had no snow for atlanta west... Then he showed their accumulation map and it had like a huge snow whole from Atlanta all the way up to Blairsville... :axe:

for a while now the models have really been nailing the midlands of SC with ice. You'll get some snow, but then you'll get freezing rain and end up with freezing drizzle for a while, and it looks like the freezing rain and drizzle part will accumulate a lot. I'd pay extra attention to tomorrow's trends. Ice over .50" is a bad hit.

Listen to him ^. Right now, even with the new GGEM and NAM being less of an ice storm.. a tiny temp change the wrong way could be a catastrophic ice storm of over .50 for sure in CAE areas. These models are never 100% correct on every detail.

i just dont see how our area overcomes the 850s all the models are showing even it we do see enough moisture to produce. if it were border line than maybe but when the precip is here the 0 line is in VA

I'll start sounding watching keenly latter tomorow. To early for all that digging right now. That 3-6 is manly beacuse of changeover possibility, hence the 3 if early and 6 if its (changeover) delayed. Just got over .5 on the gfs. The Nam is killing everything to fast on this side of the apps in NC IMO and Im not suprised.

foothills need some help i hope this is not a imby question family fling in to atl about 4 tomm. what time does maps show sn moving in the atl area also how is the area running i20 to ags im seeing 4-6 ins of snow with 1/2 inch of ice my best guest Thanks in advance

exactly.

It also looks like it's already ahead of 0z GFS at 6hr where it was developing it in central TX by then.

One vital thing to remember, although it may not apply to this. Weather models in general, already discount virga.. current radar observations do not. In other words, what you see as moisture on a model is usually what actually falls and is on the ground. A radar doesn't know what's hitting or not.

I don't know why, but I have a bad feeling about this storm. I know we will probably get some snow here in McDowell, however, with all the anticipation 3 inches would feel like a total letdown.

Welcome to the Show Hooligan...sit back and relax on this one. We're gonna do just fine.

Welcome to the Show Hooligan...sit back and relax on this one. We're gonna do just fine.

[/qu

How many people do we have on amwx from McDowell now? Anywho i wish i was back home for this one; I believe the Eastern slopes might be in a relative maximum for snowfall with this storm, one reason being the trajectory of moisture flowing in from the southeast it appears looking at the models which would create great orographical uplift and higher prcip rates along the Blue Ridge.

All the stations are showing different accumulations. 2 on the coast is just showing a mix to rain on the coast. They're calling for 45 Monday. 4 is showing no accumulation, with the less than 1/2 inch line all the way down to Highway 17. They also show some places getting as much as .2 in ice. 5 is showing the most, with up to 1" on the coast, 1-2" inland, and 2" and more farther inland.

I truly don't know what's going to happen. It could be a ice storm, sleet, snow, or rain.

How many people do we have on amwx from McDowell now? Anywho i wish i was back home for this one; I believe the Eastern slopes might be in a relative maximum for snowfall with this storm, one reason being the trajectory of moisture flowing in from the southeast it appears looking at the models which would create great orographical uplift and higher prcip rates along the Blue Ridge.

You, me, Hooligan, foothillsweather, mercurydime...not bad for lil' ol' MacDowell County

foothills need some help i hope this is not a imby question family fling in to atl about 4 tomm. what time does maps show sn moving in the atl area also how is the area running i20 to ags im seeing 4-6 ins of snow with 1/2 inch of ice my best guest Thanks in advance

I vote Robert aka FoothillsNC to start the next thread! :)

thanks , but no way. Too much pressure.

Archived