amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
NYC 1/7-1/8 Regional Discussion and Obs

Rib

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z RGEM has light precip for the NYC area.

radar says it cant penetrate the Ocean nor Monmouth county borders for a while longer. RGEM, NAM, GFS and otthers depict this as a south of i-195 thumpo snow. I think we'll get the left overs with showers and flurries C-NJ into NYC as it heads east.

I think we'll get the left overs with showers and flurries C-NJ into NYC as it heads east.

I agree.This little storm is moisture starved. You would think this storm would throw back more moisture, since this storm will be in the 990's and the placement is a good one for the area.

radar says it cant penetrate the Ocean nor Monmouth county borders for a while longer. RGEM, NAM, GFS and otthers depict this as a south of i-195 thumpo snow. I think we'll get the left overs with showers and flurries C-NJ into NYC as it heads east.

Yes, but I wouldn't be surprised if NYC doesn't see snow today or this evening. Haven't done a thorough meso-analysis but it seems like the snow in Jersey is another inverted trough feature which will linger for a while... whereas the snow progged for Se NE is more of a direct result of the strengthening coastal. I wouldn't surprised to see some 8" totals verify in parts of RI and Ma. tonight... after the shafting they got yesterday, they deserve it.

Can't be dry air. I'm at 78% RH here in Monmouth County. It's the zone of greatest convergence/uplift just dies in CNJ. Hopefully we can get that axis to pivot nnwd the next couple hours, or the advisory may not verify.

Tom,

I think by 1 PM you will be happy with snow falling here in Monmouth.

Rossi

Snow pushing in from the east into Monmouth,. Still think we'll get some light snow into c-nj andin /around NYC but the good stuff is south of 195 in Joisey before New England get it later. Then just wait 96 hous.

The 12Z RGEM and GFS backed off their totals from their respective 06Z runs.

I'd be real happy to squeeze 2 " out of this, not so sure it's gonna happen. Considering only a half inch fell yesterday, an inch would be fine, but need 2 to take the kids sleighing over at mall, there's areal nice 75 to 100ft vertical on opposite side of Home Depot.

We took the grand kids there (by the freehold mall). Sitting on the Dock of the Bay watching the snow slide by....

Best guess for Saturday into Sunday 1/8 - 1/9 event:

NYC: Trace to 1 inch

Nassau: Around 1 inch

Suffolk:: 1 inch extreme west, 3 inches around Upton, 6 inches extreme eastern tip / Montauk

Sounds very reasonable, another light event for many and hopefully a pre-cursor to a more significant event next week.

it will be interesting to see what happens in the NYC-HPN-DXR region. the models have an initial band moving up and fading out, giving way to a new band over central/eastern CT and LI. if the area over NYC fills in, it could be a nice surprise. probably won't happen, but...

it will be interesting to see what happens in the NYC-HPN-DXR region. the models have an initial band moving up and fading out, giving way to a new band over central/eastern CT and LI. if the area over NYC fills in, it could be a nice surprise. probably won't happen, but...

Ha!!.... Was thinking along the same lines, but up here north of 84, I think the chance is even less! I will take another light dusting to refresh the trees!

Archived