gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
NYC 1/7-1/8 Regional Discussion and Obs

Rib

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So is this pretty much a bust here in this area? Is there going to be some type of wrap-around action or are we looking at the end of this event for us out here? Radar doesn't look too promising, that's for sure.

Where are you? If you're west of the Nassau/Suffolk border its basically over...east of there I still anticipate 3-5 inches will fall over the south fork of LI and maybe 1-2 into central Suffolk.

Wow, how much did they have at this point last season? I think they ended up with over 60 inches last season.

ACY's total was 21.5" for DEC/JAN combined last winter, so they're well ahead. I think most people are, since February was the major month in 09-10. I'm ahead of my total for last winter as well. Was about 23" at this time, this year I'm 25.5".

Wow, how much did they have at this point last season? I think they ended up with over 60 inches last season.

ACY's total was 21.5" for DEC/JAN combined last winter, so they're well ahead. I think most people are, since February was the major month in 09-10. I'm ahead of my total for last winter as well. Was about 23" at this time, this year I'm 25.5".

58.1 was their final tally for the season (36.6 in Feb.). After this season, their reputation as a snow hole may be slightly (or temporarily) diminished. Lol.

SUNY model seems to have a pretty good handle on it...only strange thing is what happens to the snow between 1z and 2z...

when you have time can you make a thread like last year with snowfall amounts at major stations for the east coast...i enjoy reading and watching that thread last year.

Thanks.....thats a stern looking man in ur avatar

SG, what's causing this weird track and suppression with this?

S NJ was basically aided by the 500 vort which pushed across the area...however, as the surface low formed all the energy pushed out towards the surface low as opposed to contnuing to rotate up the coast...the area would have done better if no surface low formed, though I doubt anyone would have seen more than 2 inches.

S NJ was basically aided by the 500 vort which pushed across the area...however, as the surface low formed all the energy pushed out towards the surface low as opposed to contnuing to rotate up the coast...the area would have done better if no surface low formed, though I doubt anyone would have seen more than 2 inches.

Sounds like the usual case of intensification leading to a narrower band of heavy precip lol.

Thanks for this explanation, makes things very clear to the not-so-savvy such as myself!

These past few days have provided some delightful meteorological theatre for professionals and hobbyists alike - it's been pretty fascinating to behold these 3 distinct events ... especially the interactions of several unique and sometimes quirky features at seemingly all distance scales.

Archived