gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Tracking the Jan 7-9 threat---for those with strong hearts

MDstorm

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a mess. Becoming clear that separate threats (Wednesday/Thursday) is dead and it will be consolidated into one threat Fri/Sat... We'll all have to see how this strong vort is handled in the next two days of model runs. The more the block is able to nose into NE Canada the more SE this can dive. Get it far enough south it can back the flow, and potentially grab some GOM moisture.

post-772-0-05951300-1294008691.gif

This is a Miller B threat.. and I'd be quite concerned of a MA screwing with the setup. Root for a block on steroids.

To me the 0Z Euro is less about the actual PV majically dropping south into the Carolinas and more about it's interaction with the highlited piece of energy.

I don't have the intermediate hours of the Euro, but I suspect it phases with this potent vort coming over top of the ridge and that is what aids the PV to get drug south and/or recenter itsself somewhere in the MA.

GFS does form a coastal off of OBX at 102. But its to late for us. NNE could get crushed.

It really wouldn't take much to make this very interesting for us. I'm game for a 1978 solution - who's with me? ;-)

Am I correct in seeing that one important difference between the GFS and the Euro is that little piece of southern stream energy that is present on the Euro and the NAM, but not the GFS?

It really wouldn't take much to make this very interesting for us. I'm game for a 1978 solution - who's with me? ;-)

Am I correct in seeing that one important difference between the GFS and the Euro is that little piece of southern stream energy that is present on the Euro and the NAM, but not the GFS?

The energy is on GFS it just gets squashed.

To me the 0Z Euro is less about the actual PV majically dropping south into the Carolinas and more about it's interaction with the highlited piece of energy.

I don't have the intermediate hours of the Euro, but I suspect it phases with this potent vort coming over top of the ridge and that is what aids the PV to get drug south and/or recenter itsself somewhere in the MA.

if it doesnt drop south like shown you don't get a bomb that far south

feb 9-10 similar 500 track but came into u.s. west of this lobe on the euro. in my winter thoughts i was thinking we might get something like the feb 9-10 storm last yr this yr but it's still not believable i suppose.

post-1615-0-85993800-1294073776.png

post-1615-0-26930300-1294073784.png

post-1615-0-82299300-1294073792.png

More like mid 20's for highs and single digits for lows for us out here. I thought you were leaving the thread?

12Z GFS has highs of 25 on Saturday and 33 on Sunday for Martinsburg. But, with NW winds 20-30 mph, wind chills would be in the single digits during the day and below zero at night. Plenty chilly.

Archived