• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Tracking the Jan 7-9 threat---for those with strong hearts

MDstorm

No one down here should be rooting for the 12Z GFS depiction. That would be an awful screwing. Don't be fooled by the token snow we get. South of PHL would be totally shafted.

We might need to strap in and accept that this could be a huge, huge winter for NYC.

Can we cling to this tighlty for comfort?

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/DGEXEAST_6z/dgexloop.html

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha, yeah Wes, 12z GFS looks interesting day 6/7.

I don't think it's that interesting for us, the upper low needs to get to our south which usually doesn't happen with shortwaves digging out of canada. If I lived in NYC, I'd be really interested. Here I think thre is still lots of work that needs to be done and more often than not, closed upper lows on the gfs end up farther n than forecast though I guess the blocking could help keep it south.

I don't think it's that interesting for us, the upper low needs to get to our south which usually doesn't happen with shortwaves digging out of canada. If I lived in NYC, I'd be really interested. Here I think thre is still lots of work that needs to be done and more often than not, closed upper lows on the gfs end up farther n than forecast though I guess the blocking could help keep it south.

Quite a few of the 0Z ECE members, at least when I look at the spaghetti, have something similar to what the GFS is showing at 150hr. Those members were to the north of what the GFS shows, though. Our best hope would be a toned down repeat of last February 10th, and what GFS and ECE are showing is a long way away from that. In fact even the GFS is about 175 miles away from it. One might want to hope that the energy shown entering the Baja region around the same time might offer an opportunity for us around the 216hr timeframe. The GFS seems to loose that feature at model truncation time, but, if the 144 - 168hr GFS gets to verify it won't matter anyhow as that little guy would end up brutally, brutally suppressed...and hurled out to sea.

Can we cling to this tighlty for comfort?

http://www.meteo.psu...z/dgexloop.html

I'm not going to say to totally disregard the DGEX, but with respect to this year, the DGEX forecasts have not yielded anything for us

last year was another story

the only thing the DGEX does is suggest to me the Euro may come south at 12Z, only to pull us in and then expel us within 48 hours like a load of dung

Quite a few of the 0Z ECE members, at least when I look at the spaghetti, have something similar to what the GFS is showing at 150hr. Those members were to the north of what the GFS shows, though. Our best hope would be a toned down repeat of last February 10th, and what GFS and ECE are showing is a long way away from that. In fact even the GFS is about 175 miles away from it. One might want to hope that the energy shown entering the Baja region around the same time might offer an opportunity for us around the 216hr timeframe. The GFS seems to loose that feature at model truncation time, but, if the 144 - 168hr GFS gets to verify it won't matter anyhow as that little guy would end up brutally, brutally suppressed...and hurled out to sea.

Your posts always raise my spirits.... :axe:

We're all overlooking at least an opportunity late Wednesday and Thursday as a piece of the 4 corners energy comes out and possibly phases with a s/w dropping SE through the rockies. With the fast flow at 500MB it wouldn't be huge, but if amped enough, would cause moisture to come north our way.

It's what I posted in jest with the DGEX link, and Today's 12Z GGEM bit on this. I'd like to see the Euro to start to pick up on the opportunity as well. Guidance shows a radically different solution every run due to the complex pattern, but by Monday these players should be in good sampling areas and we'll know if it's a legit opp..

We're all overlooking at least an opportunity late Wednesday and Thursday as a piece of the 4 corners energy comes out and possibly phases with a s/w dropping SE through the rockies. With the fast flow at 500MB it wouldn't be huge, but if amped enough, would cause moisture to come north our way.

It's what I posted in jest with the DGEX link, and Today's 12Z GGEM bit on this. I'd like to see the Euro to start to pick up on the opportunity as well. Guidance shows a radically different solution every run due to the complex pattern, but by Monday these players should be in good sampling areas and we'll know if it's a legit opp..

yeah, I was just going to post this map when I saw your post

236_100.gif

I'm not going to say to totally disregard the DGEX, but with respect to this year, the DGEX forecasts have not yielded anything for us

last year was another story

the only thing the DGEX does is suggest to me the Euro may come south at 12Z, only to pull us in and then expel us within 48 hours like a load of dung

Ugh...you should. Always.

Your posts always raise my spirits.... :axe:

I'm sorry. I had a very different tune last year. I don't think this winter is hopeless, though. Just the next couple weeks. Actually the last half of January is starting to look a little bleak too.

At least it's cold!

If you'd like I could switch to hyping each and every long shot event...you know the ones where only a single deterministic model buys into the idea...then simply stop posting for a few days when it becomes obvious that I'm going to be wrong.

Aren't you the guy with a place in Deep Creek Lake? If so, why do you care? That place manages to get a foot every time the 700mb RH ekes above 30% or so.

Is this the energy that's getting sheared off in pieces from the Baja/SoCAL vort?

No one down here should be rooting for the 12Z GFS depiction. That would be an awful screwing. Don't be fooled by the token snow we get. South of PHL would be totally shafted.

We might need to strap in and accept that this could be a huge, huge winter for NYC.

And yet you were "fooled" by the token snow that the 0z GFS of a week ago depicted, and when I suggested a 12/30/2000 type shaft, you told me to STFU.

I'm pretty sure that the models showed at least some snow prior to 12/30/2000, and definitely also the late February storm last year.

Ugh...you should. Always.

I'm sorry. I had a very different tune last year. I don't think this winter is hopeless, though. Just the next couple weeks. Actually the last half of January is starting to look a little bleak too.

At least it's cold!

If you'd like I could switch to hyping each and every long shot event...you know the ones where only a single deterministic model buys into the idea...then simply stop posting for a few days when it becomes obvious that I'm going to be wrong.

Aren't you the guy with a place in Deep Creek Lake? If so, why do you care? That place manages to get a foot every time the 700mb RH ekes above 30% or so.

Keep doing what you are doing. I am just frustrated.

I can get a snow fix at Deep Creek for sure. I just want some IMBY as well.

In a week they will get a nice reinforcement.

I don't know how much they'll get, but I'm sure Boston will do fine

most up in PHL on north thought they would keep their snow through the warm up, but that's not happening except for those who go 18"+, and event some of them near the ocean will likely loose it

crazy how fast it settles/melts

No high hopes for much of anything here in the first half of January. Despite the cold air and storm threats, I'm thinking we'll end up with typical Nina snow totals for this winter. A shame really - so much cold air to work with and a pattern so close to what we need, but just not close enough. I guess we're paying for last winter's snow bounty.

Archived