gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Tracking the Jan 7-9 threat---for those with strong hearts

MDstorm

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, watch the 18z NAM. No, not saying anything special is gonna happen, but compare 54 at 18z to 48 at 12z. Ridge is a good bit better out west

at 66 hours some snows breaking out in va, seems like a little more southern stream interaction this run. I'll take whatever snow showers I can get this weekend.

.THIS WILL ALLOW FOR A NEW LOW PRES SYSTEM TO DVLP OFF THE

CAROLINA COAST). LOOKING AT THE H50 ANOMALIES...LATEST 12Z GFS

ENSEMBLE SHOWS SIGNIFICANT -4 TO -5 STANDARD DEVIATION VALUES DVLPG

OFF THE NC COAST FRI INTO SAT. THIS WOULD CHARACTERIZE/LEAD TO

SIGNIFICANT CYCLOGENESIS TO DVLP...MAINLY TO N/NW OF IT OFF THE

NJ/SRN NEW ENGLD COAST. TIMING OF THIS RAPID INTENSIFICATION IS

STILL UNCERTAIN AT THIS POINT AND WILL LIKELY SEE VARYING SFC MODEL

SOLNS FOR A FEW MORE RUNS (AT LEAST). BUT AT THIS POINT JUST

UTILIZING H50 FLOW AND PATTERN RECOGNITION OF WHERE TRIPLE POINTS

USUALLY CAN DVLP...THIS WOULD STIL LEAD TO SOME PRECIP...MAINLY IN

THE FORM OF SNOW TO FALL OVER THE CWA FRI AFTN INTO SAT NIGHT BEFORE

NW FLOW DVLPS BEHIND THIS SYSTEM AS IT LOOKS TO EVENTUALLY BOMB OUT.

SUBSIDENCE DVLPS SAT NIGHT AND HOLDS OVER THE CWA SUN/MON BEHIND

COASTAL SYSTEM (DRY WX).

from wakefield nws.

Yeah, I mean granted it's the 18Z NAM @ 84h, but it looks about as good as we could have hoped. Nice to see something at least leaning in that sexy Euro direction from last night.

there's just no real room for error if you want the coastal to impact us. i think we're better off hoping for the clipper rather than some .5% chance hecs.

It sure does, but unfortunately we lost the Euro now. Oh the trials and tribulations of model watching.

given what we've already seen this yr and run to run with this potential i wouldnt be shocked to see the euro flip again but the solution last night was sort of ridiculous if you think about it. euro now looks close enough to the gfs as of last runs to not want to lean toward the 84 hr nam at least.

Nam looks kinda interesting at 84 hour. I'm sure I don't need to say the caveats by now

Doesn't it? The 18Z run has a much better defined/consolidated s/w, as compared to the 12Z NAM/GFS, that's a good 100mi or so further south. Not to mention that it's stronger...oh and the better southern stream energy...

EDIT...The 18Z GFS clearly isn't willing to budge from it's much more sheared approach to things.

Doesn't it? The 18Z run has a much better defined/consolidated s/w, as compared to the 12Z NAM/GFS, that's a good 100mi or so further south. Not to mention that it's stronger...oh and the better southern stream energy...

EDIT...The 18Z GFS clearly isn't willing to budge from it's much more sheared approach to things.

Tonight. The 0z GFS is gonna rock our world.

Mark my words.

Hope you're right.

This does seem to be quite the volatile pattern.

if you're looking for a clipper maybe not.. there's almost no chance the euro run from last night will happen imo

Tonight. The 0z GFS is gonna rock our world.

It might.

At least compared to the 0Z GFS it's heading in the right direction. It's gotten considerably stronger with the energy just off the WA/BC coast. If the trend continues that would help amplify the ridge up through OR/WA. It's noticeably less flat than just 18hr ago. The center of the vortex, that was over eastern lake Ontario, around ART on 18Z Saturday is now prog'd to be over Lake Huron/Georgian Bay.

There's still a long way to go, for something that's obviously a really long shot, but today's trend is our friend.

It might.

At least compared to the 0Z GFS it's heading in the right direction. It's gotten considerably stronger with the energy just off the WA/BC coast. If the trend continues that would help amplify the ridge up through OR/WA. It's noticeably less flat than just 18hr ago. The center of the vortex, that was over eastern lake Ontario, around ART on 18Z Saturday is now prog'd to be over Lake Huron/Georgian Bay.

There's still a long way to go, for something that's obviously a really long shot, but today's trend is our friend.

A number of the 18Z Ensemble members identify this and start to crank the storm at the ORF/HSE latitude before taking it just OTS.

I'll tell you what's going to happen. The southern storm will slow down and amplify. The PV will come down further west. Then boom DC will get 2 feet on the next 8 runs. It will then revert back to it's original idea of a Boston only storm 24 hours prior, and then we end up with more cold, dry, and brown. ;) Bank on it.

A number of the 18Z Ensemble members identify this and start to crank the storm at the ORF/HSE latitude before taking it just OTS.

I'll tell you what's going to happen. The southern storm will slow down and amplify. The PV will come down further west. Then boom DC will get 2 feet on the next 8 runs. It will then revert back to it's original idea of a Boston only storm 24 hours prior, and then we end up with more cold, dry, and brown. ;) Bank on it.

so jaded, and in only 481 posts! :P

Archived