Newest Member
    joxey
SNE Obs and Disco 12/28-1/7

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bottomed out at 9F this AM.

yup bout the same (9-10F) here in framingham and a couple degrees COOLER in needham. (6 or 7F) HUGE TEMP BUST last nite. bout 10 degrees off.

now the P&C Is calling for a 13 tonite...not sure if we'll get that low....but i don't think they want to bust that bad again.

On the way back from Maine, it's funny how newscasters almost praise the fact that we'll have a few warm days and happily mention how that means "more melting snow!"

I don't understand the glee in that, and never have. The storm was three days ago...you already cleared the snow, so what good is more melting. It's not like people are going back to frisbee throwing and running around the common like they're in an Abercrombie catalog. Also, who doesn't want a blanket of white on the ground? Gee, lets melt all the snow and be left with a muddy, barren, and brown wasteland. I just don't get it.

On the way back from Maine, it's funny how newscasters almost praise the fact that we'll have a few warm days and happily mention how that means "more melting snow!"

I don't understand the glee in that, and never have. The storm was three days ago...you already cleared the snow, so what good is more melting. It's not like people are going back to frisbee throwing and running around the common like they're in an Abercrombie catalog. Also, who doesn't want a blanket of white on the ground? Gee, lets melt all the snow and be left with a muddy, barren, and brown wasteland. I just don't get it.

People hate the snow banks and slush around the walkways.

I personally think its a small price to pay to avoid the filthy brown grass and mud that would show up without it.

People hate the snow banks and slush around the walkways.

I personally think its a small price to pay to avoid the filthy brown grass and mud that would show up without it.

I can understand people trying to navigate around downtown areas, but for most others who drive to work, it's not that big of a deal.

I think it's more about the warmer temps really compared with the snow actually disappearing....most people i talk with want warmer temps.....yes they know they are in new england in winter but they still want warmer temps....just like some want an unreasonable amount of KU's.

I do notice that the radio guy seems to be in a good mood when he talks about the melting snow.....but i think it's mostly relating to viewers yearning for warmer temperatures and as an aside that means melting snow and vice versa.

I think it's more about the warmer temps really compared with the snow actually disappearing....most people i talk with want warmer temps.....yes they know they are in new england in winter but they still want warmer temps....just like some want an unreasonable amount of KU's.

I do notice that the radio guy seems to be in a good mood when he talks about the melting snow.....but i think it's mostly relating to viewers yearning for warmer temperatures and as an aside that means melting snow and vice versa.

It did feel very nice today. It felt good not having 45mph winds in your face, but that's the extent I like. I'm all set with an extended torch. One or two days near 40 aren't bad at all.

yup bout the same (9-10F) here in framingham and a couple degrees COOLER in needham. (6 or 7F) HUGE TEMP BUST last nite. bout 10 degrees off.

now the P&C Is calling for a 13 tonite...not sure if we'll get that low....but i don't think they want to bust that bad again.

My p/c is 13* for tonight. I suspect I won't go below 17 (18*+ is a good bet). Their forecast lows for mby bust big time 85% of the time.

34.8/24

Oh, joy...thanks a lot half-torch. Ugh.

300 PM EST THU DEC 30 2010

...AIR QUALITY ALERT IS IN EFFECT FROM 12 AM FRIDAY UNTIL 12 AM

SUNDAY...

THE CONNECTICUT DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION HAS ISSUED AN

AIR QUALITY ACTION DAY FOR THE FOLLOWING COUNTIES...

NORTHERN FAIRFIELD...NORTHERN MIDDLESEX...NORTHERN NEW HAVEN...

NORTHERN NEW LONDON...SOUTHERN FAIRFIELD...SOUTHERN MIDDLESEX...

SOUTHERN NEW HAVEN...SOUTHERN NEW LONDON.

AN AIR QUALITY ALERT MEANS THAT PARTICULATE MATTER IS EXPECTED TO

REACH UNHEALTHY FOR SENSITIVE GROUPS FOR ALL OF CONNECTICUT FROM

12 AM FRIDAY UNTIL 12 AM SUNDAY. HIGH PRESSURE OVER THE REGION WILL

CREATE A STRONG INVERSION WITH LIGHT WINDS. THIS MEANS THAT LOCALLY

EMITTED AIR POLLUTION WILL LINGER NEAR THE SURFACE PRODUCING

ELEVATED LEVELS OF PARTICLE POLLUTION THROUGH THE END OF SATURDAY.

SUNDAY...

In GC, "locally emitted air pollution" is limited to farts. Cows' and otherwise.

34.3/24

well they have greenfield down to 18 at 10pm so the bottom should be falling out of the DP's soon. only to tick back up later into the wee hours.

I'd add several degrees (4+) to whatever g'field gets for lows for mine. My station is usually one of the warm ones in the morning. I enthusiastically take that in exchange for the reversal on daytime highs.

SUNDAY...

The State of Mass. has done the same for its Conn. River Valley counties. I thought I read somewhere that the AQI's issued in the winter were usually during periods where wood stove emissions in combination with prolonged high pressure contribute to particulate issues. Lots of melting of snow here this week. Near 40 almost every day.

The State of Mass. has done the same for its Conn. River Valley counties. I thought I read somewhere that the AQI's issued in the winter were usually during periods where wood stove emissions in combination with prolonged high pressure contribute to particulate issues. Lots of melting of snow here this week. Near 40 almost every day.

Are you in Greenwich this week? I was at my inlaws in Gtown today about two miles north of the sound in a wooded area, no melting at all actually. Snowpack holding strong in sw ct, beautiful winter scene!!

Are you in Greenwich this week? I was at my inlaws in Gtown today about two miles north of the sound in a wooded area, no melting at all actually. Snowpack holding strong in sw ct, beautiful winter scene!!

Yeah down here near the sound in Greenwich - quite a bit of melting this week. Had about 12-14 inches, and temps 35-40 for three straight days have really reduced the snowpack. Even Monday there was a bit of melting that allowed roads to clear up pretty fast. Now it's just a matter of public works removing whatever big piles are left in parking lots. SW CT is a concrete jungle, no wonder climo says snowpack doesn't last more than a week around here.

Archived