• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
SNE Obs and Disco 12/28-1/7

HoarfrostHubb

Well the way Steve is talking he had no wind..and the snow was left untouched..and he has 2-3 feet on the ground..so apparently he had no drifiting..Maybe the sleet compacted it?

I will take a pic, snow blowing into MBY FTW, six inches solid cover. The torch you call it is down to 78 hours from your original 96

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AS H85 WINDS BEGIN TO BACK TO W AND SW...WILL SEE H85 TEMPS BEGIN

THEIR WARMUP. THIS WILL TRANSLATE TO MODERATING SURFACE TEMPS NICELY

EVEN WITH THE SNOW COVER. EXPECT HIGHS ON THURSDAY TO REACH THE

LOWER 40S MAINLY ACROSS E MA/RI...BUT HOLDING IN THE MID-UPPER 30S

ACROSS THE CENTRAL AND WEST...MAINLY OVER THE HIGHER TERRAIN. WITH

MAINLY CLEAR SKIES THU NIGHT AND CONTINUED LIGHT SURFACE WINDS...

WILL SEE TEMPS FALL BACK TO THE TEENS AND 20S

Torch shortened AWT

AS H85 WINDS BEGIN TO BACK TO W AND SW...WILL SEE H85 TEMPS BEGIN

THEIR WARMUP. THIS WILL TRANSLATE TO MODERATING SURFACE TEMPS NICELY

EVEN WITH THE SNOW COVER. EXPECT HIGHS ON THURSDAY TO REACH THE

LOWER 40S MAINLY ACROSS E MA/RI...BUT HOLDING IN THE MID-UPPER 30S

ACROSS THE CENTRAL AND WEST...MAINLY OVER THE HIGHER TERRAIN. WITH

MAINLY CLEAR SKIES THU NIGHT AND CONTINUED LIGHT SURFACE WINDS...

WILL SEE TEMPS FALL BACK TO THE TEENS AND 20S

We get it...you aren't going to get as warm as the cp. :lol:

The dogs have probably trampled it down to 2-3. 4 in areas where the snow isn't yellow

Nope they are in the front fenced in yard which I cleared with the snow thrower. Back yard looks great cept for where we built the sled run for the kids which is iced firm now, great sledding to be had, kids were there all day today.

[

i hope this takes on more and more of a look of a low and moisture coming up from the SW. that way it could actually happen. or more likely. i have had enough fun tracking exotic scenario's for the last year and a half.

i hope i get stuck at orlando airport coming back here monday morning due to a suprise 3-6+

Yea you had the real fluff factor down there, lots more water content frozen solid up here, only those whose snow has blown in the woods face complete denuding.

I don't want to complain about my results, I really don't. It was a great storm...but at the same time, somehow, I think it was the worst 12+ snow I've ever seen. We had some spots with basically 2 inches because of the ferocious wind and those spots are bare ground already. We have some drifts and man-made piles that may last until April. You couldn't measure it at the end, only as it came, and even then it was hard. Most of it did not "look" like a foot, forget 16 or more even to the west. Even though it was fluffy it got compacted so fast that 1) even right after the storm it was horrible to shovel and 2) it's half gone now. I suppose these are only more examples of how unique an event it was.

Hey at least this coming mild shot could be a lot lot worse....like 26 years ago today.

Dec 29, 1984.....it was 70/55 here for Hi/lo....for a daily departure of +38. Now THAT's a torch.

Personally I would rather have that instead of a totally forgettable mini-torch that gives us a muddy slop. You don't forget that day - historic!

Personally I would rather have that instead of a totally forgettable mini-torch that gives us a muddy slop. You don't forget that day - historic!

I would never want that in the middle of winter....to put in perspective how ridiculous that record (its the most ridiculous one I think for the entire year on the warm side)...the two days surrounding it have these following record highs:

Dec 28...61F

Dec 30...56F

70 is absurd this time of year. Its by far the latest into the winter its ever been 70 here.

But I know some people like exotic warmth. I'm just not one of them.

Hey at least this coming mild shot could be a lot lot worse....like 26 years ago today.

Dec 29, 1984.....it was 70/55 here for Hi/lo....for a daily departure of +38. Now THAT's a torch.

70/55 at ORH on December 29th, Will? I didn't even know that was possible....

And think of what got unleashed three weeks later during the Reagan Inauguration in Jan 1985. Talk about a pattern change!

70/55 at ORH on December 29th, Will? I didn't even know that was possible....

And think of what got unleashed three weeks later during the Reagan Inauguration in Jan 1985. Talk about a pattern change!

I think that is the highest daily departure ever at ORH...it was +38. I'd have to double check though.

I actually think the low of 55F might be more impressive than the high of 70F, but they are both off the scale ridiculous.

I think that is the highest daily departure ever at ORH...it was +38. I'd have to double check though.

I actually think the low of 55F might be more impressive than the high of 70F, but they are both off the scale ridiculous.

I was 12..don't remember it thankfully. If that happened nowadays I would stay in the house until it was over and draw all the shades

I was 12..don't remember it thankfully. If that happened nowadays I would stay in the house until it was over and draw all the shades

The worst part is it melted what was left of an already dwindling snow pack that barely hung on for Xmas. I remember it even though I was only 3...well I don't remember the torch (thankfully), but I remember the bad snow pack on the ground for Xmas.

That was a terrible winter. Anytime you get a day like that in winter, it has to be a bad sign. I can't remember a great winter where we had a day that felt like early summer in December. They seem to suck when they do that....2006, 2001, 1998, 1984, etc.

I'm sure my stats will tell me there are several exceptions (I think 1966 had a horrendous torch in mid Dec but went on to be a blockbuster winter)....but you never feel good about things when you see people playing soccer and baseball on brown grass and sipping lemonade around the holidays.

I was in NYC during the Holidays of 1984 and remember it being very mild but also there were some residual snow pile so there must have been a decent snow event earlier......Will can you help?

That was a terrible winter. Anytime you get a day like that in winter, it has to be a bad sign. I can't remember a great winter where we had a day that felt like early summer in December. They seem to suck when they do that....2006, 2001, 1998, 1984, etc.

What happened later in the winter of 84-85? You didn't get any good snow during the frigid month of January 1985?

I guess that winter must have been a shock because I believe 83-84 was an excellent winter for most of the East, including SNE.

The worst part is it melted what was left of an already dwindling snow pack that barely hung on for Xmas. I remember it even though I was only 3...well I don't remember the torch (thankfully), but I remember the bad snow pack on the ground for Xmas.

I'm sure my stats will tell me there are several exceptions (I think 1966 had a horrendous torch in mid Dec but went on to be a blockbuster winter)....but you never feel good about things when you see people playing soccer and baseball on brown grass and sipping lemonade around the holidays.

What about that horrific January day a few yrs ago..maybe 05-06?? When BDL hit like 73..I remember being out in shorts playing with my daughter..It was mid summer conditions. Just an awful awful day

ORH must have gotten close to 70

Can you imagine if Ryan was on the board then. It would have been miserable

What happened later in the winter of 84-85? You didn't get any good snow during the frigid month of January 1985?

I guess that winter must have been a shock because I believe 83-84 was an excellent winter for most of the East, including SNE.

Jan '85 was cold and dry. Just minor snowfalls. There were a couple advisory type snowfalls (4-6") in early February and then again in the month of March. That winter didn't have a single snowfall over 7" I don't think.

What about that horrific January day a few yrs ago..maybe 05-06?? When BDL hit like 73..I remember being out in shorts playing with my daughter..It was mid summer conditions. Just an awful awful day

ORH must have gotten close to 70

Can you imagine if Ryan was on the board then. It would have been miserable

Jan 6, 2007...I remember that day. I hiked Wachusett and the ski lifts were closed. Only time they've ever closed because of lack of snow in the month of January IIRC.

I was in NYC during the Holidays of 1984 and remember it being very mild but also there were some residual snow pile so there must have been a decent snow event earlier......Will can you help?

I'm not sure what event it could have been. There were a couple crappy events pre-Xmas 1984. So maybe a few piles survived the torches afterward in NYC (there was a more mundane torch Dec 23-25 before the huge one on the 29th-30th). There was actually a bit of warm air advection snow on the 28th in front of that horrific airmass. Only like an inch or so though.

Archived