Newest Member
    joxey
SNE Obs and Disco 12/28-1/7

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"only" got to 29F here...

p-n-c has me at 33, 36,43,43,40 before going back to normal.

Hoping they come in below...Very nice day to walk the dog, change the dead battery in my wife's van, play Wii..

MPM, did you ever fix the snowblower?

Nein. The one upside to the warmth this week will be that I can look at it without freezing my ass off!

Enjoying the school vacation week (or is that a ridiculous question?).

Snowmobiles finally out around here on the wooded trails at least. The fields blew down to very little in many areas, but up to 10" in the woods so enough for them. Not great, but better than nothing.

I drove up to Amsterdam, NY yesterday (a mere 18 miles north) and they are lucky to have 2" total where it didn't blow away. Also I hear the Tug Hill Plateau is in bad shape and very little snow at Old Forge. Basically there has been litttle/no non-lake effect (synoptic) snow in most of Upstate NY beyond the range of this recent coastal storm...pretty weird for almost January 1st.

26F here today, ovc, flurries....

Saw my first snowmobile racing by yesterday... winter is just getting warmed up

Add on to my above post ....here is your snow depth map. Keep in mind South Central NY looks white because that is part of the Delaware, Chespaeake or Ohio estuaries and not covered by that map. You can see the snow drought in the areas that depend on snowmobiling in the Dacks, Tug Hill, etc. Shockingly low snowcover even around SYR where they had that record December. Hmmm where did it go? I guess half of it vanishedin the mid month thaw and the rest evaporated, settled etc. That's why some call it fake snow. :)

sd1_today.jpg

Add on to my above post ....here is your snow depth map. Keep in mind South Central NY looks white because that is part of the Delaware, Chespaeake or Ohio estuaries and not covered by that map. You can see the snow drought in the areas that depend on snowmobiling in the Dacks, Tug Hill, etc. Shockingly low snowcover even around SYR where they had that record December. Hmmm where did it go? I guess half of it vanishedin the mid month thaw and the rest evaporated, settled etc. That's why some call it fake snow. :)

sd1_today.jpg

I post this graphic from time to time and when I do I always get a string of replies saying how location X is wrong. For my backyard this is on the money. It pains me to see NYC painted yellow while I'm mired in light green.

I post this graphic from time to time and when I do I always get a string of replies saying how location X is wrong. For my backyard this is on the money. It pains me to see NYC painted yellow while I'm mired in light green.

It's got a 4-6 blue dot smack dab over ORH where they had 12 inches..so it is way off there at least

Archived