wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
SNE Obs and Disco 12/28-1/7

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What does this mean? How much "airspace" should be subtracted? I don't measure on grass unless I can't avoid it, but never thought of this.

However much air is underneath the snow. If you have 2" to 3" length grass blades and a light fluffy snowfall with good dendrites piles on top of that, then most of it usually will sit on top of the grass and there will be 2 or 3 inches of air underneath the snow (length of the grass blades), so you can end up with a very inflated total if you don't take that into account.

Its usually only an issue in light or low end moderate events (mainly 6" or less)....once you get higher than that, the weight of the snow will take care of most of the air pockets underneath and compress them to near dirt level.

Would that explain that disgusting temp jump I had around 7:30 this morning when it went from upper 20's to upper 30's in 5 mins along with the dews..then back down again..with no wind

Yeah, maybe there was a little gust of wind..very faint, perhaps 3-5kts, but enough to mix down some of the warmer air. Even right now, I can feel it. At ground level the air is cool, but when a gust of wind comes...it feels very warm.

It feels nice out, but I'd rather have to be bundling up to stay comfortable. Oh, well.

43.1/29.

Yeah, we are off to a New Year's party, and I guarantee the house will be hot, esp after 45 people are there...

No way to dress "festive" and be cool when it is torching...

Walked the dog in a sweatshirt only... (well, pants, etc. - but no jacket). Almost shorts weather, burley men with arms hanging out of pickup trucks

Crazy stuff out there temp wise. 20 minutes after I made the above post, my temp is now at 40.6. Perhaps something similar to what Kev experienced morning (with his temperature, that is).

40.6/28

Feel the cold as the sun sets, another radiant night? I know someone who is happy that these 18 z runs are the last of 2010

Happy Happy Weenie New Year to all my buds here, peace and good health to you all. La Epic baby lock it up, the Pete Steve Jerry party is finishing up the dinner break and getting ready to crank up the turntable. For those about to rock we salute you! Fiyaaaaaaaah

Feel the cold as the sun sets, another radiant night? I know someone who is happy that these 18 z runs are the last of 2010

Happy Happy Weenie New Year to all my buds here, peace and good health to you all. La Epic baby lock it up, the Pete Steve Jerry party is finishing up the dinner break and getting ready to crank up the turntable. For those about to rock we salute you! Fiyaaaaaaaah

GINX!!!! Happy New Year !!! I've been having an awesome time skiing and it's only going to get better. More snow on the way AWT. The party is just getting started and now we're going to get lit up!!

Archived