northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
NYC/PHL Dec 26-27 Boxing Day Blizzard Part 9

NickD2011

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is peculiar is that Islip is warmer than Shirley and Farmingdale, even though all observations were taken within a 20 minute period and the winds are basically the same direction.

Even more peculiar, I was warmer than ISP at that time (I'm 10 miles NW of ISP)...got up to 30 around 30 minutes ago and have since crashed back down to 25. There is some funky stuff going on, little of which involves heavy precip for Smithtown, although we are still accumulating. It might be better than I think...eventually I'll put the boots on and go measure again. First I think I am going to make my wife and I a rusty nail.

The pivot back east has clearly begun for us on Long Island. It's very slow and slight at this point, but expect mod-heavy snow and obviously severe blowing snow for many hours to come. Models don't really end it for Nassau/Suffolk counties until 7am or later. Some of us could still make it to the 20" mark.

I don't know if anyone else has been melting it, but my ratios have been close to 10:1

I haven't, but my observations from shoveling (I know, pointless, but it beat looking at that awesome band 60 miles west of here) are that we are not getting good ratios out here. Might be changing now as the temp has plummeted. We had an hour of mainly graupel earlier this evening.

Archived