northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
NYC/PHL Dec 26-27 Boxing Day Blizzard Part 9

NickD2011

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weatherbug keeps dropping my temps here in Dix Hills.. 2 reporting stations are at 19 and 18... So temps clearly are dropping.. However we are missing the SNOW BOMB going on in Queens and west... We probably have about 10" but that pales in comparison to the 20"+ reports going on 40 miles to our west..

Nonetheless- insane storm... I think i'll end up w/ 18" or so.. won't be complaining!

What is peculiar is that Islip is warmer than Shirley and Farmingdale, even though all observations were taken within a 20 minute period and the winds are basically the same direction.

FARMINGDALE SNOW.....24 24 100 N26G41 29.13F VSB 1/2 WCI 8

ISLIP HVY SNOW 28 23 81 N40G56 29.06F VSB 1/4 WCI 10

SHIRLEY FOG 25 23 92 N32G44 29.08F VSB 1/4 WCI 8

WESTHAMPTON FOG 28 24 85 N33G51 29.07F VSB 1/2 WCI 11

MONTAUK POINT N/A 30 29 96 N25G39 29.05 WCI 16

Pressure readings approaching 29.00 at the above locations. SLP must be bombing out now and not too far to the south of these points. Also note 56mph gust at ISP and 51 at FOK.

i've been keeping an eye on the buoy east of atlantic city and south of eastern LI. that's been showing some powerful readings all day (973.9hPa/28.76 in Hg at 02Z). and that's with a northerly wind at ~ 40 kt. has that buoy been working good all day? if so we've got to be seeing mid 960's somewhere near the center.

21 in. in central queens now... can't see the barn/shed 10 feet across the road snow hasn't let up in past 6 hours...drift i measured was above my 36in. yardstick.

can you believe this?

I rarely (never) post, but are you sure you aren't measuring in a drift? Here in Sunnyside (northwestern Queens) my measurements range from 10.5 to 12 inches with drifts of up to 2 feet.

So I noticed. That's damn frustrating to see it SO close. Mind going outside and giving a good swift kick toward the west for me? :lol:

I'm looking through the radar grabs over the past several hours...every last one of them seems to cut off the heaviest banding right near Rt 1 in Trenton. I would be crying if I were you.

I rarely (never) post, but are you sure you aren't measuring in a drift? Here in Sunnyside (northwestern Queens) my measurements range from 10.5 to 12 inches with drifts of up to 2 feet.

That must be a drift. We have a lot of snow already but certainly not that much. Past a foot here.

This just cannot be accurate. The snow is ripping like I haven't seen since 1996 although 2006 was close at times.

Its funny though how all the official observing sites are lower than the unofficial ones...perhaps everyone else's measurements are being skewed by the wind? EWR is at 14 inches as of 10pm though.

Its funny though how all the official observing sites are lower than the unofficial ones...perhaps everyone else's measurements are being skewed by the wind? EWR is at 14 inches as of 10pm though.

Gee, I wonder why that is. :lol: I think people, even if they aren't measuring in drifts, are measuring where snow has blown off of their roofs.

The NJ megaband is finally starting to contract. Its LI's turn.

5:30 PM walking 3 blocks from the LIRR in Syosset--carrying petrified 3 year old. Pelting sandblaster in the face. Wife trailing behind, trying to keep up. Face completely rimed up. I kept thinking of that Bono line from Rattle and Hum "PELTING the women and children.."

A few pics... I've given up on knowing how much snow I have. :unsure:

vf9vnb.jpg

dysshx.jpg

This was right across the street... the visibility was so low.

20rp543.jpg

Similar scene here just 7 miles due north of you. I work in Jersey City at Harborside Financial Center. I'd be stunned if my company is open for business tomorrow.

Uber banding probably starting to wain a bit over NJ. Still plenty of snow to come though.

Per Steve D from nynjpaweather, if you are in one of those moderate/heavy snow bands now, it will continue through 9am!!!! He also said the upper low is now capturing the surface low and that this may ultimately stall the storm after all!!

Archived