Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    19,029
    Total Members
    49,013
    Most Online
    loganboehmewx
    Newest Member
    loganboehmewx
    Joined

2026-2027 Record-breaking El Nino


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, LakePaste25 said:

i’m aware. It was a jab at people who downplay heatwaves when they say “it’s called summer, it’s supposed to be hot.” 

I hate that too. I hate heat but if its going to be hot id much rather see a good heatwave challenge some daytime high records rather than a swampy 88-92 with warm tropical low temps bringing up the departure.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, roardog said:

The media will have you believe that every heatwave is a “heat dome” that will melt your entire body and you’ll end up in the city sewer system. Meanwhile every cold snap is the polar vortex coming south instantly freezing every human or animal outside in place. In reality, sometimes it’s just really cold in winter and really hot in summer.

I hate when the media does that.

Especially for areas such as the Great Lakes, Midwest and Northeast. Its actually fascinating to see how much of the world does NOT get to enjoy the extremes of both winter and summer like we do. Really if you like seasonal extremes, its a great place to live.

Our griping, complaining, worrying or excitement based on what local weather lies ahead is our personal comparison to our climo that were used to. I have a friend in the UK and she would freak at how cold she would be in our warmest winter on record or how hot shed be in our coldest summer on record.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I expected a bitter stretch in latter January into early February in association with that +TNH pattern, but it was cold more consistently than I expected.

Speaking of your thoughts/expectactions lol. I noticed you've been repeatedly mentioning a warm December. Which seems a good bet based on everything from model forecasts to big support from strong nino climo. Are you going prohibitively warm/torch or just mild?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Speaking of your thoughts/expectactions lol. I noticed you've been repeatedly mentioning a warm December. Which seems a good bet based on everything from model forecasts to big support from strong nino climo. Are you going prohibitively warm/torch or just mild?

Depends where you are....most likely prohibitive along the east coast, at least.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

MJO is really booking it this year. I've read WQBO can speed it up too, so that's a little interesting. But man this thing is really flying. I feel like all that's going to do is constructively interfere with this el nino more often. Seems like this would just encourage the nino to take center stage even more so. Not that it needs that..

 

msNK6V9.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Wayyy too much optimism in this thread. We could use a Bluewave tutorial on how CC has engineered the failure of past auspicious seasonal runs by way of gargantuan ridges eating away the troughs like Pacman.

Epic sig material

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Jebman said:

Epic sig material

:lol: To be fair, that was before I was taking Chris' musings about the increasing prevalence of MC forcing very seriously...I mocked him in the lead up to that 2023-2024 winter and he ultimately handed me my ass. 

Invaluable learning experience for me because my outlooks have been much better since and I've addressed what had been a cold/snow bias.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, FPizz said:

Agreed.  I feel it will be a "delayed" winter but not denied in the end.  

I think thats a reasonable take. Especially for the coast, its not like December is prime winter normally anyway, much less in a strong nino.

@roardog @LakePaste25 and other Great Lakers. @40/70 Benchmark i know you dont forecast for the Lakes. I dont "forecast" at all but with all the discussion to date I can envision the season playing out something like this in SE MI- we get a good winter blast in mid or late November (hopefully Thanksgiving time) with well below avg temps and snow (probably synoptic and lake- watch out lake belts). Then December sees that late Fall vibe return. Not "warm", but more murky mild and Novembery. It will snow, but with the mild days handily outnumbering the cold ones will need some luck and good timing or else Decembers wintry opportunities may be limited to mood flakes and snow squalls.

January and February is when its game on but we will have two different scenarios to worry about. Scenario 1- the warmer strong nino outcome. More mild days. This also increases our odds bigtime of those dynamic wet snowstorms (think Jan/Mar 2023). But with those odds you still have to worry about storm track, plus you lose a lot of the daily mood flakes/light snows you get most winters. Scenario 2- the colder outcome models hint at. This is good for a more traditional winter feel, but too much of this could be cold and dry (moreso MI and west, not so much LakePaste territory). Winters like 1957-58 & 1965-66 that east coasters salivate over were boring as hell here, cold and dry with very light snowfall. We did at least have a light 1-3" snowcover each time for all the cold, but id imagine id be pulling my hair out as multiple storms hit the east. (Closest ive come to that was 1995-96 but even that was better than '58 or '66). Personally I dont think its happening, at least to that extent. If the cold wins, I think we see much more snow than '58 or '66 (not necessarily above avg, just more than those pitiful years). We've had two winters in a row where snowcover and cold "outpaced" snowfall, cant imagine 3 in a row. 

March- most of us are well overdue for a good March and early outlooks agree. I expect a good snowstorm this month. And if the rest of winter is lighter on snowfall, I can almost guarantee it. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For an el nino summer, we've sure been cooking in the south lately, and it looks like a week or more of 100+ temps coming. Very unusual for el nino from my understanding...but I still think once we get more into fall the STJ will increase with angular momentum working north. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BlizzardWx said:

For an el nino summer, we've sure been cooking in the south lately, and it looks like a week or more of 100+ temps coming. Very unusual for el nino from my understanding...but I still think once we get more into fall the STJ will increase with angular momentum working north. 

El Nino summers tend to be pretty hot down here in the deep southwest. I am near Austin. It's been pretty hot, highs generally about 100 degrees, lows generally about 77-84 with dews staying about 66-73.

Hopefully this autumn/winter then spring 2027 we will see some majorly beneficial rains. But a lot of that is probably gonnabe smacking down places like Georgia/Alabama, the deep south states and the general Southeast getting ridiculous amounts of rain. Also the Carolinas, Virginia, DC and Kentucky, Tennessee. Those places are going to be just piling on massive epic rain tallies because every system that hits the CONUS is gonna smash into them and the STJ is going to be SO roided up. The pac jet is going to be pure fire, bigger and far more epic than a Playboi Carti concert.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, BlizzardWx said:

For an el nino summer, we've sure been cooking in the south lately, and it looks like a week or more of 100+ temps coming. Very unusual for el nino from my understanding...but I still think once we get more into fall the STJ will increase with angular momentum working north. 

The pattern is producing much stronger 500 mb ridges across the CONUS and the rest of the mid-latitudes this summer than we ever had for such a strong El Niño.

This is why the CONUS just had the warmest July average temperature on record instead of the cooler very strong El Niño summer pattern.

We’ll  have to wait and see if this is an early signal El Niño 500 mb ridge axis will press further to the south and or east than usual during the winter. 

IMG_7384.png.9f0c11911b4e12bf536b4edf7f8a42b0.png

 

IMG_7386.png.3d3689ce58d73ca35d939cb1958e35c1.png

 

IMG_7387.png.461b23005cfa9265dc3a4914707d0076.png

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Larry is feeln' it- 

Dude needs a Bluewave intervention, and pronto :lol: He'll slap you across the face with a series of JMA VP images.

 

50 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The pattern is producing much stronger 500 mb ridges across the CONUS and the rest of the mid-latitudes this summer than we ever had for such a strong El Niño.

This is why the CONUS just had the warmest July average temperature on record instead of the cooler very strong El Niño summer pattern.

We’ll  have to wait and see if this is an early signal El Niño 500 mb ridge axis will press further to the south and or east than usual during the winter. 

IMG_7384.png.9f0c11911b4e12bf536b4edf7f8a42b0.png

 

IMG_7386.png.3d3689ce58d73ca35d939cb1958e35c1.png

 

IMG_7387.png.461b23005cfa9265dc3a4914707d0076.png

 

And there you have it. It's an irresistible impulse. Lol

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

 

And there you have it. It's an irresistible impulse. Lol

Your impulse seems to be focusing more on the patterns that you would like to see rather than the patterns that we have been getting. 
 

  • Like 1
  • 100% 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Your impulse seems to be focusing more on the patterns that you would like to see rather than the patterns that we have been getting. 

Hey Spock, lighten up! It's only weather. Lol

I'm still waiting for a definitive forecast whether the Canadian ridge will or won't be as strong as 23/24. 

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Hey Spock, lighten up! It's only weather. Lol

I'm still waiting for a definitive forecast whether the Canadian ridge will or won't be as strong as 23/24. 

 

There is a difference between lighthearted humor and passive-aggressive behavior. Most people want to read about the strongest El Niño on record rather than have to wade through these types of nonsense or banter posts. While I take it all in stride, it will cause others to just leave the forum. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, bluewave said:

There is a difference between lighthearted humor and passive-aggressive behavior. Most people want to read about the strongest El Niño on record rather than have to wade through these types of nonsense or banter posts. While I take it all in stride, it will cause others to just leave the forum. 

I come from the MA forum where these kinds of posts are routine and keep things entertaining. Much like the NE forum as a matter of fact. None of it is meant as a personal attack. But vigorous discussion and disagreement is also routine in both forums. I don't believe I've crossed the line. We obviously have different personalities/viewpoints, but that's what you get in a public forum. It's unavoidable, hence the "ignore" feature is available. I think that's the only option available to either of us.

  • Like 5
  • 100% 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

The pattern is producing much stronger 500 mb ridges across the CONUS and the rest of the mid-latitudes this summer than we ever had for such a strong El Niño.

This is why the CONUS just had the warmest July average temperature on record instead of the cooler very strong El Niño summer pattern.

We’ll  have to wait and see if this is an early signal El Niño 500 mb ridge axis will press further to the south and or east than usual during the winter. 

IMG_7384.png.9f0c11911b4e12bf536b4edf7f8a42b0.png

 

IMG_7386.png.3d3689ce58d73ca35d939cb1958e35c1.png

 

IMG_7387.png.461b23005cfa9265dc3a4914707d0076.png

 

The thing I dislike about el ninos is they produce a dulling of extremes, cooler summers and warmer winters.  Hotter summers and colder winters are much more interesting.  Maybe in the future when we learn to control the weather we will figure out how to prevent these kinds of el ninos from happening. I envision gigantic underwater structures that control ocean currents. Until then i will just be happy knowing that the summers after El Nino are much hotter and drier.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

I think thats a reasonable take. Especially for the coast, its not like December is prime winter normally anyway, much less in a strong nino.

@roardog @LakePaste25 and other Great Lakers. @40/70 Benchmark i know you dont forecast for the Lakes. I dont "forecast" at all but with all the discussion to date I can envision the season playing out something like this in SE MI- we get a good winter blast in mid or late November (hopefully Thanksgiving time) with well below avg temps and snow (probably synoptic and lake- watch out lake belts). Then December sees that late Fall vibe return. Not "warm", but more murky mild and Novembery. It will snow, but with the mild days handily outnumbering the cold ones will need some luck and good timing or else Decembers wintry opportunities may be limited to mood flakes and snow squalls.

January and February is when its game on but we will have two different scenarios to worry about. Scenario 1- the warmer strong nino outcome. More mild days. This also increases our odds bigtime of those dynamic wet snowstorms (think Jan/Mar 2023). But with those odds you still have to worry about storm track, plus you lose a lot of the daily mood flakes/light snows you get most winters. Scenario 2- the colder outcome models hint at. This is good for a more traditional winter feel, but too much of this could be cold and dry (moreso MI and west, not so much LakePaste territory). Winters like 1957-58 & 1965-66 that east coasters salivate over were boring as hell here, cold and dry with very light snowfall. We did at least have a light 1-3" snowcover each time for all the cold, but id imagine id be pulling my hair out as multiple storms hit the east. (Closest ive come to that was 1995-96 but even that was better than '58 or '66). Personally I dont think its happening, at least to that extent. If the cold wins, I think we see much more snow than '58 or '66 (not necessarily above avg, just more than those pitiful years). We've had two winters in a row where snowcover and cold "outpaced" snowfall, cant imagine 3 in a row. 

March- most of us are well overdue for a good March and early outlooks agree. I expect a good snowstorm this month. And if the rest of winter is lighter on snowfall, I can almost guarantee it. 

During super ninos, the most favored Great Lakes areas are those that favor NW flow lake effect, e.g. Edinboro/Colt Station/Chautaqua Ridge/S Tug Hill/Syracuse. This is due to the sheer number of coastal storms and even if they are mostly rain, the N stream diving in after can result in NW flow lake enhanced/upslope snow. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mitchnick said:

I come from the MA forum where these kinds of posts are routine and keep things entertaining. Much like the NE forum as a matter of fact. None of it is meant as a personal attack. But vigorous discussion and disagreement is also routine in both forums. I don't believe I've crossed the line. We obviously have different personalities/viewpoints, but that's what you get in a public forum. It's unavoidable, hence the "ignore" feature is available. I think that's the only option available to either of us.

I don’t take any of this personally. It’s more comical than anything else. The squabbles in these threads are more like Napoleon Vs Uncle Rico than anything really serious.;)

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LakePaste25 said:

During super ninos, the most favored Great Lakes areas are those that favor NW flow lake effect, e.g. Edinboro/Colt Station/Chautaqua Ridge/S Tug Hill/Syracuse. This is due to the sheer number of coastal storms and even if they are mostly rain, the N stream diving in after can result in NW flow lake enhanced/upslope snow. 

Makes sense. After almost any winter rainstorm there's a lake snow response.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mitchnick said:

I come from the MA forum where these kinds of posts are routine and keep things entertaining. Much like the NE forum as a matter of fact. None of it is meant as a personal attack. But vigorous discussion and disagreement is also routine in both forums. I don't believe I've crossed the line. We obviously have different personalities/viewpoints, but that's what you get in a public forum. It's unavoidable, hence the "ignore" feature is available. I think that's the only option available to either of us.

 Vigorous but respectful discussion/debate about the relevant subject makes for the best threads. Echo chambers are boring. It’s beneficial to respectfully debate alternative viewpoints.

 Intense debates relying on factual evidence, critical thinking, and sound reasoning instead of emotional appeals or personal attacks are the most desirable.

 Also, being open-minded to change one’s views is beneficial to these threads. Posters displaying intellectual humility, reading others’ posts thoroughly, and being willing to update their views when presented with better evidence is desirable for quality threads.

@bluewave

 Edit: Many of the worst threads at this BB were in the Politics forum because little of the above was the case in most threads. Hardly anyone was open minded about anything and personal attacks were common. Trolling was common. It was absolutely awful due to hardly any intelligent debate. Fortunately, this thread is far better!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, GaWx said:

 Vigorous but respectful discussion/debate about the relevant subject makes for the best threads. Echo chambers are boring. It’s beneficial to respectfully debate alternative viewpoints.

 Intense debates relying on factual evidence, critical thinking, and sound reasoning instead of emotional appeals or personal attacks are the most desirable.

 Also, being open-minded to change one’s views is beneficial to these threads. Posters displaying intellectual humility, reading others’ posts thoroughly, and being willing to update their views when presented with better evidence is desirable for quality threads.

@bluewave

 Edit: Many of the worst threads at this BB were in the Politics forum because none of the above was the case. Hardly anyone was open minded about anything and personal attacks were common.

It’s also a challenge when you aren’t speaking with someone in person. Many not written cues can get lost on these forums. I am sure if we all met in person things would be different.

Also goes to how many interactions these days occur online vs in person prior to social media and the internet. So we don’t have the benefit of nonverbal cues which are common in actual life. 

Even with all of issues that pop up from time to on these forums, the benefits outweigh any negatives. Weather models and past statistics for various stations used to be very limited before the age of the internet.

I can remember the old Alden Difax machines that was the only way to get weather models. Plus there were no freely available databases containing past reanalysis products with 500 mb patterns  and temperatures for any given month or period. 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • 100% 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, bluewave said:

It’s also a challenge when you aren’t speaking with someone in person. Many not written cues can get lost on these forums. I am sure if we all met in person things would be different.

Also goes to how many interactions these days occur online vs in person prior to social media and the internet. So we don’t have the benefit of nonverbal cues which are common in actual life. 

Even with all of issues that pop up from time to on these forums, the benefits outweigh any negatives. Weather models and statistics used to be very limited before the age of the internet.

I can remember the old Alden Difax machines that was the only way to get weather models. Plus there were no freely available databases containing past reanalysis products with 500 mb patterns  and temperatures for any given month or period. 

 

 In the 1980s soon after obtaining my first job in my field of study, my first big purchase was for a washer/dryer. I was so excited.

 But I was even more excited with my 2nd buy, an even bigger one: what my friends called a “weather machine”. This “machine” was a combo of the following: a pretty high end short wave radio to get radio facsimile sounds, an Epson dot matrix B/W printer, and a radio facsimile decoder that was sent to me from England. This was a dream come true.

 The output wasn’t that good as weak or interfered signals were common, but this was the only way I could get my own feed of wx data!

  • Like 9
  • Weenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GaWx said:

 Vigorous but respectful discussion/debate about the relevant subject makes for the best threads. Echo chambers are boring. It’s beneficial to respectfully debate alternative viewpoints.

 Intense debates relying on factual evidence, critical thinking, and sound reasoning instead of emotional appeals or personal attacks are the most desirable.

 Also, being open-minded to change one’s views is beneficial to these threads. Posters displaying intellectual humility, reading others’ posts thoroughly, and being willing to update their views when presented with better evidence is desirable for quality threads.

@bluewave

 Edit: Many of the worst threads at this BB were in the Politics forum because little of the above was the case in most threads. Hardly anyone was open minded about anything and personal attacks were common. Trolling was common. It was absolutely awful due to hardly any intelligent debate. Fortunately, this thread is far better!

Intellectual humility has always been my strong point as I'm always humiliating myself in board discussions. So I'm with you there! 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

Some statistics for the Southeast concerning snowstorms during strong El Niño winters are below. Atlanta may have among the best chance of seeing a measurable snowstorm this upcoming winter.

image.png.3d68900ea31c804be072a5fab77f1d6a.png

I hope Athens can get some of that magic too, lol.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does the AAO signal anything to us (NH)? I don't remember. I want to say no, but I feel like I've heard that it did somewhere. Just wondering because it's been very positive through most of our summer. Which is the SH winter. Even getting above 4SD for a bit at the tail end of June. 

wnDGZTE.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, bluewave said:

It’s also a challenge when you aren’t speaking with someone in person. Many not written cues can get lost on these forums. I am sure if we all met in person things would be different.

Also goes to how many interactions these days occur online vs in person prior to social media and the internet. So we don’t have the benefit of nonverbal cues which are common in actual life. 

Even with all of issues that pop up from time to on these forums, the benefits outweigh any negatives. Weather models and past statistics for various stations used to be very limited before the age of the internet.

I can remember the old Alden Difax machines that was the only way to get weather models. Plus there were no freely available databases containing past reanalysis products with 500 mb patterns  and temperatures for any given month or period. 

 

Ive said it before and ill say it again. I do not agree with alot of the stuff you post, but you always remain respectful so I have no problem agreeing to disagree on some things. This is the huge difference between you and snowman. 

  • 100% 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...