Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2024 Disco- SNE’s favorite month

HoarfrostHubb

13 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Is it my mistake ( Tam'  ?  )  or isn't it early for even Norways?   Obviously they're the most eager every spring but I think they are also more variable of all big stem species and can be triggered by a season's 'climate personality.'  

My sister was telling me that Norways are actually invasive to N/A.      Either way, their florets give off a subtle sweet aroma that for me sparks a lot of nostalgia for some reason - ... I just can't remember her name :(  or if she ever existed.  LOL.  

Norway maple is native to Europe but is widely planted in urban settings, as it's relatively tolerant of conditions there.  It's also brittle and subject to frost cracks in cold climates.  It is very shade tolerant and an early-season seed producer, characteristics that give it an advantage over native species.  Since silver maples and red maples here have swelled buds, it's no surprise about the Norways being early.  The most recent month with BN temps here was November, so phenology is understandably early, which to me is suspect.  Somehow my apple trees dodged the killing frost last May 18 but many NNE orchardists were less fortunate.  We've had major damage from late frosts in 1999 and especially 2010; that one toasted all the ash and oak shoots and some on the maples, along with frying every apple blossom.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

If you haven’t.. get em up and into the windows 

Do they help prevent Frost? 

"

strong radiational cooling. The NBM running way too warm for this setup, so went with the 10th percentile of guidance for lows. Should
see temps ranging from the mid 20s to the mid 30s. Should see fairly widespread frost. Frost/freeze headlines will likely be needed in
future updates."
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, kdxken said:

"

strong radiational cooling. The NBM running way too warm for this setup, so went with the 10th percentile of guidance for lows. Should
see temps ranging from the mid 20s to the mid 30s. Should see fairly widespread frost. Frost/freeze headlines will likely be needed in
future updates."

Fake cold though 

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

24 minutes ago, kdxken said:

"

future updates."

Most don’t live there 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Did you read the article?

There are a few things to keep in mind if you want to start planting this time of year. Even if we don’t see another frost until autumn, chilly and damp weather is not good for your warm-weather plants. Putting in tomatoes, peppers, basil or anything in that group of vegetables is asking for trouble and disease, so hold off.”

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Sled said:

No frost here:)never said what I planted anyway... Carrots and radishes are plenty frost tolerant. Get sowing, it's a beautiful day.

Lol of course lettuce too. No toms or peppers until Memorial day. Season is long people like to rush things and that's when mistakes are made. Happy gardening and may you get a bounty this year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tamarack said:

Norway maple is native to Europe but is widely planted in urban settings, as it's relatively tolerant of conditions there.  It's also brittle and subject to frost cracks in cold climates.  It is very shade tolerant and an early-season seed producer, characteristics that give it an advantage over native species.  Since silver maples and red maples here have swelled buds, it's no surprise about the Norways being early.  The most recent month with BN temps here was November, so phenology is understandably early, which to me is suspect.  Somehow my apple trees dodged the killing frost last May 18 but many NNE orchardists were less fortunate.  We've had major damage from late frosts in 1999 and especially 2010; that one toasted all the ash and oak shoots and some on the maples, along with frying every apple blossom.

Work in the valley   is a stark contrast from my oh look a forsythia.  Stick season still 

20240421_073804.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Not in the eastern CT Sierra I guess.

I mean all flowering shrubs have been in full bloom for about 7- 10 days . The green underbrush in the woods has all leafed out and even Red maples have little tiny green leaves . Really it’s only the Oaks that haven’t quite popped yet. 
1uMz3CD.jpeg

• Like 3

one the more impressive forsythia bloom years I can recall in quite a long time.  Dense displays with vivid pop.  And it's not just one or two yards... it's everywhere between Ayer and Auburn in Middlesex arguing for something 'pheno-responsive'

• Like 3