• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2024

2 hours ago, WX-PA said:

Was at a class at Kingsbough College when I took a peak outside and it was snowing..Very strange indeed. And it was blustery and cold..Two months later one of the most famous heatwaves hit NYC, which was during a blackout.

Yes, I remember it well, the heat plus the crime reached astonishing levels!

It's funny I remember it well even though I wasn't even 4 years old yet but I remember being scared in the dark and hearing police sirens all night long....

We had a similar occurrence in 2003 (minus all the crime of course.)

3 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

I saw annuals out at Home Depot this weekend-seemed a bit early for that.  At least here you need to wait until 5/7 or so to be safe from frost

Yeah I cringe when I'm at stores and see tomato plants out this early. I'm sure there was some damage this morning with the temps near freezing. 

2 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

It's in the 60s and sunny aka normal April weather.

It's not like it's a dreary multi day onshore flow event with temps in the 40s and 50s. 

The weather is beautiful and will be in the 70s soon.

We might hit 70 tomorrow. At least upper 60s.

I agree that today is a beautiful day. 63 here right now. Great weather for exercising outside. 

44 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

We might hit 70 tomorrow. At least upper 60s.

I agree that today is a beautiful day. 63 here right now. Great weather for exercising outside. 

nws forecast as of this morning does not call for 70 tomorrow...

• Weenie 1

IDK if this is relevant/interesting to anyone else, but I remember it snowing in June when I was a young child in rural Sussex County (Newton/Sparta area).  I remember snow on our flowers which were in bloom (I think they were peonies).  This would have been in the early 1960s. I don't know how that happened and/or what the actual low temperature was on that day, from reading discussions on here I understand that under certain conditions snow can fall from the sky even though temperatures are above freezing.  Curious if anyone knows if there a record of that event anywhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

So maybe we'll have an early May like we did in 2020?

That combination of snow and cold in May was probably a one-off in our much warmer climate. 

• Like 1

Just now, Brian5671 said:

I'm happy with that...LOL

The memorable cold combined with snow at times records since 09-10 have pretty much been one hit wonders. We haven’t seen a repeat of the June-July 2009 average high at Newark staying under 80°. Same goes for the record October snowstorm in 2011 all the way down to Central Park. The February 2015 -10 or lower departure looks safe also. Plus the first below zero in NYC during February 2015 since January 1994 also looks hard to beat for the month of February. 

38 minutes ago, bluewave said:

That combination of snow and cold in May was probably a one-off in our much warmer climate. 

It was strange to get that after such a mild and nearly snowless winter.

Aside from that cold and snow on May 9th that period had literally nothing in common with 1976-77 lol.

It's so strange how two radically different periods can sometimes have the same general kind of weather on the exact same day lol.

The April 1976 to April 2002 comparison fits into this category too.  Both Aprils had major heatwaves with almost the exact same high temperatures on almost the exact same days!  But the summers that followed were radically different!

24 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The memorable cold combined with snow at times records since 09-10 have pretty much been one hit wonders. We haven’t seen a repeat of the June-July 2009 average high at Newark staying under 80°. Same goes for the record October snowstorm in 2011 all the way down to Central Park. The February 2015 -10 or lower departure looks safe also. Plus the first below zero in NYC during February 2015 since January 1994 also looks hard to beat for the month of February. 

May 9, 2020 goes into the same category as February 14, 2016.

Extreme cold islands surrounded by an ocean of warmth.

October 2011 snowstorm and January 2016 snowstorm fit into this too.

46 minutes ago, Evie3 said:

IDK if this is relevant/interesting to anyone else, but I remember it snowing in June when I was a young child in rural Sussex County (Newton/Sparta area).  I remember snow on our flowers which were in bloom (I think they were peonies).  This would have been in the early 1960s. I don't know how that happened and/or what the actual low temperature was on that day, from reading discussions on here I understand that under certain conditions snow can fall from the sky even though temperatures are above freezing.  Curious if anyone knows if there a record of that event anywhere.

It might be around the time that LGA recorded their latest trace of snow, which I believe was near Memorial Day in 1964?

For Newton or Sparta I'd look at records from Sussex, NJ (KFWN?)

1 hour ago, winterwx21 said:

Yeah I cringe when I'm at stores and see tomato plants out this early. I'm sure there was some damage this morning with the temps near freezing. 

I remember my tomato plants were damaged during a heavy frost we had on May 13, 1996.  That was my latest frost here on the south shore.  And that was on a Monday, I spent the weekend in the Poconos were it snowed and caused tree damage after a severe weather outbreak!  That was my latest snowfall and it came after our best winter ever.

I enjoyed May 9, 2020 much more.

I would wait for the week before Memorial Day weekend to plant anything sensitive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stormlover74 said:

And if doesn't rain Wednesday we could be looking at another week of dry weather effectively ending April 

I cut the lawn for the first time this season today, and there was actually some dry dirt flying. Never would have imagined that a couple weeks ago. We were in such a wet pattern with constantly saturated soil. The ground is pretty dry now, and as you said it looks like dry weather moving forward. We definitely needed a good drying out period, but I think a week or so from now it'll be getting to the point that I'll want rain again.  

13 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

I cut the lawn for the first time this season today, and there was actually some dry dirt flying. Never would have imagined that a couple weeks ago. We were in such a wet pattern with constantly saturated soil. The ground is pretty dry now, and as you said it looks like dry weather moving forward. We definitely needed a good drying out period, but I think a week or so from now it'll be getting to the point that I'll want rain again.  

Yeah the pollen and bird crap is getting to be a bit much already lol

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

It makes me wonder why there was such a narrow range on May 9, 1977 of 43-38?  Did JFK get a T of snow that day as well as on May 9, 2020? Those have to be their latest traces of snowfall?

No snow was recorded at JFK. But it was mostly cloudy with cold rain.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Allsnow said:

Freeze warning tonight 

ugh. Can’t wait for the 80’s 

It’ll come sometime next month when the highs to the north/back door regime relaxes but unfortunately it probably comes with the 70+ dew points. Our best season with most comfortable conditions now is actual Autumn, and “winter” now is extended Autumn with a week or two of cold sprinkled in where we have to get our snow or we totally strike out. 

• Like 3