Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring 2024 Medium/Long Range Discussion

IWXwx

5 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

The full run GFS gives Minneapolis nearly 30” of snow, starting with a system next Thursday. That would get us within striking distance of normal snowfall for the season. Won’t happen but hopefully this is a signal for some unsettled weather to assist our parched soils. 

Would be crazy if it did happen though.

The comeback of the century...

• Weenie 1

4 hours ago, Powerball said:

Would be crazy if it did happen though.

The comeback of the century...

While I'm sure they won't get that much, there's definitely a significant signal for snow in the northern part of the country the last half of March. This is why I always say to those talking futility in January or even earlier that the snow season has so long to go, you really have to have EVERYTHING go wrong to get that. I can't think of a more deserving season than this one for the Northwoods, but mother nature may have other plans. Duluth still in the running, but Minneapolis screwed that up by being in the jackpot of that February snowfall. Here in Detroit, I cannot remember a more benign winter outside of one month, but since that 1 month produced 17 inches of snow, again, top 10 futility off the table. Toledo is surprisingly still in the running for their 2nd least snowy winter.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

While I'm sure they won't get that much, there's definitely a significant signal for snow in the northern part of the country the last half of March. This is why I always say to those talking futility in January or even earlier that the snow season has so long to go, you really have to have EVERYTHING go wrong to get that. I can't think of a more deserving season than this one for the Northwoods, but mother nature may have other plans. Duluth still in the running, but Minneapolis screwed that up by being in the jackpot of that February snowfall. Here in Detroit, I cannot remember a more benign winter outside of one month, but since that 1 month produced 17 inches of snow, again, top 10 futility off the table. Toledo is surprisingly still in the running for their 2nd least snowy winter.

Hi

% of avg

2015-'16           21.9”    65%

2016-'17          14.8"    44%

2017-'18          27.9"    83%

2018-'19          28.9"    86%

2019-'20          27.5     81%

2020-'21          35.9"    106%

2021-'22          24.4"    73%

2022-'23          19.5"    58%

2023-'24          10.9     35%

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Yup

16 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Minneapolis screwed that up by being in the jackpot of that February snowfall.

Any disappointment I had from missing out on futility was replaced by watching the joy on my kids face. If it ends up being rain or snow, I don’t care at this point. I’m just glad there’s something of interest to track again and hopefully knock back the drought concerns. 

553C02FF-4F2C-443D-BB0D-E8AC575DB440.jpeg

7C131CFD-D7B4-4047-B5A4-4361BB08A152.jpeg

• Like 9

5 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Any disappointment I had from missing out on futility was replaced by watching the joy on my kids face. If it ends up being rain or snow, I don’t care at this point. I’m just glad there’s something of interest to track again and hopefully knock back the drought concerns. 

553C02FF-4F2C-443D-BB0D-E8AC575DB440.jpeg

7C131CFD-D7B4-4047-B5A4-4361BB08A152.jpeg

Cute! Oh trust me, under no circumstances would I ever root for futility lol. I went sledding in Jan...always a kid in winter!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IWXwx said:

Hi

% of avg

2015-'16           21.9”    65%

2016-'17          14.8"    44%

2017-'18          27.9"    83%

2018-'19          28.9"    86%

2019-'20          27.5     81%

2020-'21          35.9"    106%

2021-'22          24.4"    73%

2022-'23          19.5"    58%

2023-'24          10.9     35%

You are definitely due! Hopefully next winter.

6 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

I'm really liking the medium to long range.  Ensembles are spitting out widespread 2-3" of precip across the region through 15 days as big troughs eject out of the west and the gulf is wide open.

Yeah the consistent signal for the beginning of a stormy period has been nice to see the last few days. What's not been so nice is the signal that at least some of that precip could be of the frozen variety especially in the N of the forum. But precip is precip, and basically everywhere can really use some right now no matter the type. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

I'm really liking the medium to long range.  Ensembles are spitting out widespread 2-3" of precip across the region through 15 days as big troughs eject out of the west and the gulf is wide open.

Sounds like that would mean more :twister:chances, as well although of course the crucial specifics of any one setup are hard to pin down at this range.

GFS has been less enthusiastic about the "open Gulf" idea, as it has been pretty consistently spinning up some sort of southern stream low in the Gulf that runs up the East coast, with its associated cold front plunging south and scouring out the moisture. However it could be completely out to lunch with this. Seen it lock onto a particular idea (such as formation of a TC in the western Caribbean) for something like 120-150 hours worth of runs only for it to not happen.

Edit: The feature I talked about is still there in the incoming 00Z run. FH111, 1007mb coming into the Florida Big Bend and then runs up the coast, dewpoints get dropped to the 50s across most of the Gulf (even upper 40s along the Florida Panhandle coast).

So when I got to work this morning the thermometer in my car said 27 degrees, and we had a stiff west-northwesterly breeze. 7-day forecasts from my employer and the NWS are rather depressing, with nothing outside of 40s and 50s. When's the flip back to much AA?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

So when I got to work this morning the thermometer in my car said 27 degrees, and we had a stiff west-northwesterly breeze. 7-day forecasts from my employer and the NWS are rather depressing, with nothing outside of 40s and 50s. When's the flip back to much AA?

Idk about much AA but wait till the beginning of April, things will start flipping back to average and then slightly above average

• Thanks 1

This is surely the 100% correct forecast for Monday, April 8th, the eclipse day. There seems to be a high chance of sunshine for the East, but a heavy storm for Texas and Arkansas. And when I say "surely," I mean the cloudiness forecast is absolutely uncertain at this point.

apr 8 forecast 12.png

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, rainsucks said:

at least it's looking likely that the day of the eclipse will be quite mild.

Was hoping for a snowstorm that day so there could be some weenie accumulation during the eclipse. Just kidding. lol but that would be interesting to see.