• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wednesday, February 28, 2024 Mild temperatures ahead of a Strong Arctic Cold Front with a Line of Rain and Thunderstorms Associated by Big Bad Wolf howling winds knocking down forests followed by Brief, but chilly Arctic Cold

weatherwiz

CF arrival was sudden, with a brief downpour and some house-creaking gusts, probably near 40, but then things quieted to 20s-30s gusts.  Nary a flake.  The late (10:50 PM) passage and slow temp drop at first resulted in it still being 43° at my obs time and thus the max for 2/29, even though it may not reach 20 this afternoon.  Had the front come thru 8 hours earlier, the February temp would've been nearly a degree colder than what it actually will average.

While there was clearly a geographic area which received better winds, the overall premise of the event worked out well. In these setups, the best winds ahead of the front, typically associated with a fine line of convection, always happen:

1) Right along the leading edge of the heavier rain.

2) The highest wind gusts are very brief.

3) There is a lull, sometimes even dead calm, just behind the area of strongest winds under the heaviest rain (thermodynamic profile likely becomes inverted with the downward transport of colder air which becomes saturated and the lapse rates becomes very weak).

Based on some of the reports here, this was verified and was discussed several times as how it would play out. Certainly the overall thought would be much more of a region wide event but that did not pan out. Something like this can often come down to the mesosnalysis scale where you have to watch how things are progressing and evolving. 

In terms of the CAA winds, it seemed like that was even more impressive farther north as opposed to the region as a whole. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

One of those days…

There goes a downspout. Ripped into 4 pieces. Dangling cable wires in the background. Wind is roaring again. I went to survey the woods, but there’s too many large falling branches. 
IMG_6441.jpeg

Your experience reminds me of March 18 first storm. Lots of damage including downspouts.

30 minutes ago, dendrite said:

He outta control now

image.gif

Is the idea that Flex Tape can salvage that boat?  I only ask because I picked up a free kayak in the late fall that has a couple of cracks that need repair.

12 minutes ago, klw said:

Is the idea that Flex Tape can salvage that boat?  I only ask because I picked up a free kayak in the late fall that has a couple of cracks that need repair.

I used flex seal to block a leak on my stone fireplace, it's help up well. Depending on the size of your leaks you might be better of using flex seal, flex tape should work too.

What is the science behind lake streamers?  You can clearly see upslope and downslope in this picture but why do thin streamers form and stay intact for over 100 miles?  I guess I'm lazy and could look it up but maybe others in the forum might be interested in the answer.  I don't remember seeing such organized streamers?

Screenshot 2024-02-29 131528.png

Wind really picked up over the past hour or so (seems to have subsided now) and my PWS registered a 43.4mph gust.  It's poorly sited for most winds but it does pretty good in W/NW winds like today.  It was cranking when that gust hit:

image.thumb.png.1edd50d75ccf3671d0906142fb788ed2.png

17 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

What is the science behind lake streamers?  You can clearly see upslope and downslope in this picture but why do thin streamers form and stay intact for over 100 miles?  I guess I'm lazy and could look it up but maybe others in the forum might be interested in the answer.  I don't remember seeing such organized streamers?

Screenshot 2024-02-29 131528.png

Part of it is due to the strong winds too. That and the instability especially below 700mb keeps the streamers persistent. As to why there are so many of them...I think that has to do with how low the inversion height is. It's down to about 700mb so think that helps keep weaker, but more persistent bands of clouds and flurries. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Earliest melt out since 2012?  Hmmmm

Still a couple inches out back in the open field, but anything adjacent to trees has been wiped. But good Q. I’ll have to look back at the numbers. 2017 had quite the torch stretch in Feb. 

6 minutes ago, AstronomyEnjoyer said:

What's your elevation there?

Only 620ish but I’m about halfway up our hill. Winni River at the bottom is about 400’ and the top is 850-900’. North side though we hold the cold and snow pretty well. 

• Like 1

Peak gust today has been 36mph.  I would guess we have about 75% of snowcover remaining.  Woods have cover but south facing open pastures like mine lost just about everything yesterday.  The lawn mowing crew has arrived early.  Currently I count 27 of the creatures.  Here are a few of them chomping away.

deer.jpg

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Peak gust today has been 36mph.  I would guess we have about 75% of snowcover remaining.  Woods have cover but south facing open pastures like mine lost just about everything yesterday.  The lawn mowing crew has arrived early.  Currently I count 27 of the creatures.  Here are a few of them chomping away.

deer.jpg

I always liked going to Bethel.mid winter and seeing the tens and tens of deer in a farm yard where the farmer feeds them. Notice how dark they are.

My freezer is full of a couple of nuisance deer culled from a farm. Great lean meat. Between Buffalo and deer we try to eat a lot of leaner meat.