Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2024 disco/obs

Torch Tiger

8 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Off and on gross out here.  Did manage 54 somehow... but most of the day was in the mid to upper 40s.  44 now    Rain with some sun  

Yeah party over and temp has dropped quite a bit. 

4 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

May be a handsome vehicle to those into that sort of thing ... buuut, unfortunately, with what is known of the bigger picture and the objective reality of what it means to planet ... that is tantamount to the trope  of putting lipstick on a pig.  An environmental pig.

That's not what drove me to mention it the other day.  It's something I just thought of. 

My snark back then was way more self-centered ( admittedly...).  I've never been that into automobile-related special interest arenas.  I went to couple 'car shows' with my dad as a kid.  m'yeah.  okay.  But what I really wanted were those chartered Cessna flights I got to go on for my birthday.  Being in the sky among the clouds, peering down over the land..  Flying never made me nervous and still doesn't.  Love that.   That, and watching tornadoes carve canyons through the negligent arrogance of towns built where tornadoes were first...   But I guess airplanes choke the skies with fossil fuel farts too. Ha

Basically, I'm too idealistic ( for most, no doubt - ) and though it may sound heavy handed, it's really just me and my own opinions.  Ex, I don't think of New Orleans as a depot of intense jazz culture and "Mardi Gras" - French for "fat Tuesday."  Like putting lipstick on the proverbial pig above.  It's sort of apropos named, Fat Tuesday, for having the gall to ever build and carry on with a city there in that particular geography and planetary circumstances.  200 years of culture?  Don't care.  Doesn't matter.  It was dumb then, still is. Katrina didn't even hit New Orleans.  Yet any warning was apparently upon dead heads = rebuild instead.  So that when the real Katrina does come, as tax payers we'll have to bail out the whole region to manifest New Orleans 2.0 ... and around and around we go.

I'm kidding a little bit here, but still-

Airplanes are way worse emissions wise if you care about such things. Somehow it's always the folks who feign concern over CC who seem to be living the jetset life. I'd rather drive both my big loud diesel trucks and actually do what I can in my own way than just tsk tsk folks who have bought into a culture of trucks, however lame it may be that they've turned into commuter vehicles.

• Weenie 1

I don't think I've seen a ECMWF AIF run that didn't have a deep winter bomb wobbling around New England in this time range -

I guess it's a methadone clinic for next winter when we inevitably deal with another head scratching seasonal failure, despite all these leading Phillip K. Dickian dissertations

ec-aifs_z500_mslp_us_53.png

• Haha 2

Autos contribute about 10% of CO2 emissions.  The big killer has always been fossil fueled electric generation which to me has a certain irony to it.  Interestingly, China builds a half dozen or more coal fired electric plants each year.  They also like hydro - much to the dismay of their often water starved neighbors.  We need to go on the Chinese weather forums and complain there if we want to do any good.  I’m sure Ji will get on board.  

on the weather front, these cold rainers…can we get a cutter please?  There’s never one around when you need it.  And when we don’t want them it is the only guest to show up to the party.  

PS I have a ram 2500.  Love it.  

• Like 6

8 hours ago, AstronomyEnjoyer said:

Got to 53.1° around noon but quickly clouded over with intermittent showers, and in one instance - a brief spurt of heavy graupel. Also started to frame the garage/barn. Progress has been, uh, slow.

20240317_162310compressed.jpg

Nice keep posting as you go along

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I don't think I've seen a ECMWF AIF run that didn't have a deep winter bomb wobbling around New England in this time range -

I guess it's a methadone clinic for next winter when we inevitably deal with another head scratching seasonal failure, despite all these leading Phillip K. Dickian dissertations

ec-aifs_z500_mslp_us_53.png

I think there are pretty low expectations for next season.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Hard to shake that what can go wrong will go wrong feeling.  Meanwhile spring will be on hold later this week.

Well, early sentiment is for a healthy Modoki La Nina working in conjunction with a +QBO/descending solar...doesn't take a CC zealot to know to temper expectations.

We probably have about 3-4 more bleh-ish seasons before we catch a break in the latter half of the 2020s is my guess.....probably at least one big season as the Pacific changes and we near solar min. Yes, I understand what a shot in the dark that speculation is....again, "just my (educated) 'guess' ".

We really need a decent season fast because its become increasingly exhasting around this place....you need so many qualifiers so someone doesn't bite your head off.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That said, I would be suprised if next season is good...I could see somehow avoiding a ratter with a bit of luck, which we are "due" for.

Let's revisit this in November.  Way too far out there.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That said, I would be suprised if next season is good...I could see somehow avoiding a ratter with a bit of luck, which we are "due" for.

As far as luck goes we are definitely overdue for something to get timed right even in a hostile regime.  It’s just been incredible how precisely the atmosphere has been in denying us good antecedent air masses.

• Like 3