Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2024

TriPol

31 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

That should be a really good trick with 50’s and 60’s

Maybe LibertyBell can suggest a chemical we can mass release into the atmosphere/oceans to raise the freezing point of our water and make it be able to snow at 50 degrees. 

• Haha 8

31 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

That should be a really good trick with 50’s and 60’s

I would guess the probability is no different from any other year, despite the incredibly warm and lower snow totals this season to date?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

I would guess the probability is no different from any other year, despite the incredibly warm and lower snow totals this season to date?

We had a 7 inch snowstorm here in April 2018, but that capped off a great March with multiple snowstorms.   So I'd say it's more likely in a year like that than a ratter this year with very little cold air around...

I'm hoping most of the bulbs will survive.  The crocus bloomed so early it had already flowered and withered before this cold snap.  Our dafodills and tulips are up but not bloomed yet.  I did notice the tulip leaves had turned a darker green this morning but I think that's normal on colder mornings.  Pansies I don't know about.  It's the first year they went in this early, so we'll see.  I'm told they're pretty cold hardy.

Damn March!

5 minutes ago, Picard said:

I'm hoping most of the bulbs will survive.  The crocus bloomed so early it had already flowered and withered before this cold snap.  Our dafodills and tulips are up but not bloomed yet.  I did notice the tulip leaves had turned a darker green this morning but I think that's normal on colder mornings.  Pansies I don't know about.  It's the first year they went in this early, so we'll see.  I'm told they're pretty cold hardy.

Damn March!

Daffodils have been blooming here for a week...they look ok today.    The cold might be good to slow down the growing season a bit-we were 2-3 weeks ahead at the end of the torch

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

MJO quickly collapses into COD within 7-8 days so expect any cold to be short lived

GEFS_BC(62).png

It was always going to be short lived.  The fact some wrote any cold off is another story.  Just like the heavy rain staying offshore and a map of 70 degree warmth being posted.  Have to wait until mid April for any sustained warmth IMO.  Otherwise, mid 50s to 60 the next few weeks with maybe a day here and there ahead of a front getting to 70 if we get lucky, especially for those of us on the coast.

• Like 2

Models flipping wetter again at 12z. CMC has 4” for parts of LI. Quite the nice CCB that develops and nails most of us on Saturday. Too bad there’s zippo cold air until you’re well north into NY State/NNE. Could’ve been very nice if some cold air could stay around beforehand with this track/evolution. 

25 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

The cold is going to be short lived

Today will be only the 10th day in NYC since 12-1 with a -5 or lower departure. But the +5 or greater days since then have been at 53. All the extended warmth makes these colder days seem colder than they really are since we get used to the warmer temoeratures.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Models flipping wetter again at 12z. CMC has 4” for parts of LI. Quite the nice CCB that develops and nails most of us on Saturday. Too bad there’s zippo cold air until you’re well north into NY State/NNE. Could’ve been very nice if some cold air could stay around beforehand with this track/evolution. 

3-4 inch rain totals when all is said and done would not surprise me. It's going to be absolutely torrential in the metro area on Saturday 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

3-4 inch rain totals when all is said and done would not surprise me. It's going to be absolutely torrential in the metro area on Saturday 

This could push parts of the area close to 10.00” on the month. 

Data for March 1, 2024 through March 21, 2024
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
State
Name
Station Type
Total Precipitation 
NY SMITHTOWN 2.0 SSW CoCoRaHS 7.64
CT SALEM 3.6 SE CoCoRaHS 7.50
NY DEER PARK 1.0 NE CoCoRaHS 7.18
CT OAKDALE 2.6 WNW CoCoRaHS 6.97
CT EAST LYME 0.5 SW CoCoRaHS 6.97
CT NORWICH 5.2 SE CoCoRaHS 6.97
CT MYSTIC 3.4 NW CoCoRaHS 6.96
CT NORWICH 2.5 NNE CoCoRaHS 6.89
CT STRATFORD 0.2 ESE CoCoRaHS 6.81
NY ST. JAMES COOP 6.80
NY HOWARD BEACH 0.4 NNW CoCoRaHS 6.68
CT PROSPECT 1.9 ENE CoCoRaHS 6.63
CT FAIRFIELD 1.5 NE CoCoRaHS 6.56
CT STRATFORD 0.9 W CoCoRaHS 6.53
CT GUILFORD COOP 6.44
CT GUILFORD CENTER 2.7 WSW CoCoRaHS 6.44
CT ESSEX VILLAGE 0.9 S CoCoRaHS 6.44
NY CENTEREACH 1.3 NE CoCoRaHS 6.37
NY MOUNT SINAI COOP 6.36
CT NORWICH PUBLIC UTILITY PLANT COOP 6.35
NY SELDEN 1.6 ESE CoCoRaHS 6.32
NJ MONTCLAIR 0.7 N CoCoRaHS 6.26
NY WANTAGH 0.3 ESE CoCoRaHS 6.23

9 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Meh. We have had so much rain the last few years that everyone should have already fixed their water issues 

Yup, heard all the basement  cleanup and remediation companies went out of business since everyone did their repairs. 

• Haha 4
  • Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, FPizz said:

Yup, heard all the basement  cleanup and remediation companies went out of business since everyone did their repairs. 

the odd thing is I hear from people lately who have never had water and now they do-shows how high the water table got this winter....

44 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Saturday will be a good day to stay in and watch the tournament 

My favorite time of year sportswise. March Madness, playoffs around the corner for the NBA and NHL, NFL draft, start of baseball and the weather starting to get warmer livening up the mood in general.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

This could push parts of the area close to 10.00” on the month. 

Data for March 1, 2024 through March 21, 2024
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
State
Name
Station Type
Total Precipitation 
NY SMITHTOWN 2.0 SSW CoCoRaHS 7.64
CT SALEM 3.6 SE CoCoRaHS 7.50
NY DEER PARK 1.0 NE CoCoRaHS 7.18
CT OAKDALE 2.6 WNW CoCoRaHS 6.97
CT EAST LYME 0.5 SW CoCoRaHS 6.97
CT NORWICH 5.2 SE CoCoRaHS 6.97
CT MYSTIC 3.4 NW CoCoRaHS 6.96
CT NORWICH 2.5 NNE CoCoRaHS 6.89
CT STRATFORD 0.2 ESE CoCoRaHS 6.81
NY ST. JAMES COOP 6.80
NY HOWARD BEACH 0.4 NNW CoCoRaHS 6.68
CT PROSPECT 1.9 ENE CoCoRaHS 6.63
CT FAIRFIELD 1.5 NE CoCoRaHS 6.56
CT STRATFORD 0.9 W CoCoRaHS 6.53
CT GUILFORD COOP 6.44
CT GUILFORD CENTER 2.7 WSW CoCoRaHS 6.44
CT ESSEX VILLAGE 0.9 S CoCoRaHS 6.44
NY CENTEREACH 1.3 NE CoCoRaHS 6.37
NY MOUNT SINAI COOP 6.36
CT NORWICH PUBLIC UTILITY PLANT COOP 6.35
NY SELDEN 1.6 ESE CoCoRaHS 6.32
NJ MONTCLAIR 0.7 N CoCoRaHS 6.26
NY WANTAGH 0.3 ESE CoCoRaHS 6.23

6.19 here.

43 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

the odd thing is I hear from people lately who have never had water and now they do-shows how high the water table got this winter....

October 2005 was the beginning of the shift to people having basement flooding when they never did before. Especially when I was living back in Long Beach. Numerous months since then with near or over 10” of rain at spots in the area.