Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Refresher snow & obs between ~midnight and Noon Sat Feb 17 2024

wdrag

34 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

As of about 5.50 am the snow band finally petered out and I measured 11.0" for a paltry 1" in the last hour - usually i would kill fire that lol.  Could still get another inch over the next few hours but the main event is over. Saw 12" retorted in Readington and plenty of 10+" amounts in CNJ and 9.9" in Metuchen at 5 am which is very close to my 10" at 4.45 am. Really feeling like a once in a lifetime event for a surprise localized major storm and especially getting 2"/hr rates for 5+ hours.  Very LES like.

Branchburg at 12"!!

Unbelievable!!

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

Models did have the band.  They were not able to resolve the very high rates and amounts for those under the most intense part of it.  FWIW this banding feature was visible on radar out in the Midwest yesterday.  I even commented yesterday evening that it looked like most of the snow with the event would occur at those locations in the band and that it would be near I78 as per the models.  It looks like the band actually set up just a bit south of I78.  Congrats to those who were in the JP zone.

Really nice observation and call. 

8 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Unbelievable. This will raise this winter a full letter grade for me. 

Same. I know it is hyperlocal to me in Hunterdon County, but now I'm over 20" for the season. After last year, and the way things looked headed into January, I will take it and run. Probably a C+ winter but feels like a B+ in context.

• Like 2

Just now, LibertyBell said:

Very pretty!

It looks like we'll end up with the same amount of snow we had with the last storm-- 4-5 inches or so.

Jfk has 6 inches so more than Tuesday. I didn't measure when I went out but I'm going out again to shovel so I will measure. 

• Like 3

Great storm and congratulations central Jersey!

Last time there was a surprise like this was either March of 90 or 91. Forky called it.

"Why do they call it an Alberta Clipper?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRaI6yr8X_6qn8UD5b51gN
Alberta clippers take their name from Alberta, the province from which they appear to descend, and from clipper ships of the 19th century, one of the fastest ships of that time."

4 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Jfk has 6 inches so more than Tuesday. I didn't measure when I went out but I'm going out again to shovel so I will measure. 

wow 6 inches really? I'm at the same latitude as they are, 5 miles to the east and nothing on the roads at any point during the storm but it looks really good on the trees, rooftops and driveway and sidewalks.

3 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Last time there was a surprise like this was either March of 90 or 91. Forky called it.

Alberta clippers take their name from Alberta, the province from which they appear to descend, and from clipper ships of the 19th century, one of the fastest ships of that time."

again, it's not a clipper lol-- clippers don't carry this kind of moisture!

It developed in the central Rockies....

3 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

also the last time we had a surprise like this was February 1991.

Just now, LibertyBell said:

again, it's not a clipper lol-- clippers don't carry this kind of moisture!

It developed in the central Rockies....

It's called a clipper due to the speed of the storm not the moisture. There have been blizzards that came from clippers like 2004.