Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 8th Eclipse- Last Easy One To See In My Lifetime

Interstate

6 hours ago, Kmlwx said:

I just canceled my Keene, NH hotel reservation (had that as a "launching point" for a possible Maine trek). Based on distance and people commenting about poor road options in rural Maine...just not worth it. 

I still have a Binghamton, NY hotel reservation that's cancelable until midnight tonight...but that precip and cloudiness is precarious.

I'm getting close to just risking it and using my solar filter/telescope to observe this one from MBY in Maryland and then saving up/booking an Italy-->Greece eclipse cruise for 2027. 

Also...there's some homeland security warnings about eclipse gatherings being soft targets for potential malicious actors...don't doubt it with local law enforcement dealing with crowds swelling to many times normal amounts. 

It sucks having this cut through places not too far from here but it being logistically very tough. I missed totality in 2017 by about 8 miles...I vowed to not let this happen this time but it might be less stressful (but much pricier) to plan internationally for 2026/27). I wish we all had the money and means to go chase every eclipse...

Pretty sure clouds will still exist in 2027.  Get in the car and go to central Ohio. Enjoy!

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

Pretty sure clouds will still exist in 2027.  Get in the car and go to central Ohio. Enjoy!

Yeah but at least it would be a trip to Italy and a cruise. Plus... The boat can adjust course to hopefully better setup the day of. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Yeah but at least it would be a trip to Italy and a cruise. Plus... The boat can adjust course to hopefully better setup the day of. 

unless a sick passenger needs to be disembarked or a storm comes up, or the cruise itinerary is changed at the last minute. it happens a lot.

we're staying south of Cleveland in a small town with just a few activities going on. we'll go to a local park if it's clear, and to the beer garden across from our hotel if we're socked in with clouds. i'm really happy to be able to see a total eclipse.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Is that your official recommendation? I’ll hold you to that emoji6.png

ha..definitely don't put any weight on my suggestion.  Don't let Tomer doom and gloom you either.  Nobody has time to drive to canada right now

But yeah.  I'd wake up tomorrow.  Make another assessment.  And then probably head to Norfolk OH.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Screw it - made a reservation for middle of the eclipse in Mansfield, OH. Very first city I started looking at. Can pivot a bit day of as needed.

Let’s get it.

Mansfield is a good spot.  Surprised you got a room!?

Texans will not be likely to burn their eyes Monday as more moisture than expected is forecast to impact us throughout eclipse day. That moisture is already here! Low clouds and heavy drizzle have already descended upon us! Solid cirrostratus layer plus mid level clouds will cover Texas well into mid week. Monday is also expected to become much more humid! We already have 70 degree dewpoints! Moisture advection will be efficient unfortunately for Texas. My heart is crying out dolorously for many who invested considerable sums of money to come down here to see a once in a lifetime eclipse. What they will see, will be an eclipse that itself, will be seriously eclipsed by multiple cloud decks. Storms are also likely Monday afternoon, Monday Night and Tuesday. Some may be severe.

Those who live in, or have traveled to Maine will enjoy crisp cool weather and clear skies to savor the eclipse of their lives! Many places all along the Path will have clouds. But not N VT, N NH and Maine!

Go NORTH, FTW!!!!!

We're still going. Compelled by my daughter, who now is expecting a visit. (Nice to still be wanted.) If the clouds get in the way, so be it. We're still going to the state park and will have fun hiking around and having a picnic, even if the eclipse doesn't pan out to perfection. The room we've got in Utica is reasonably priced. I'm just once again worried about the traffic but if a little bit of cloud keeps some margin of viewers off the road, that might be a tradeoff I'm willing to make. We're also looking at an alternate state park that backs onto the Tug. I've always wanted to go there, but of course during a lake event. 

Frankly, the worst part will be what it usually is: the drive up 81. Trucks to the galore, half the time a lane is closed for repaving or other construction, causing backups that would make 95 over the Occoquan proud. The drive through the mountains was fun the first couple times, but that novelty has definitely worn itself down to a nub. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

It would be cool to be at Lake Cedar just south of Carbondale, IL where "x marks the spot" from the 2017 and 2024 eclipses.  Weather looks great there too.  I wonder how rare it is to have two eclipses intersect just a few years apart?

image.png.99793529806ddbb4aed9b8280d2117a1.png

Big astronomy is up to something.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BlizzardNole said:

It would be cool to be at Lake Cedar just south of Carbondale, IL where "x marks the spot" from the 2017 and 2024 eclipses.  Weather looks great there too.  I wonder how rare it is to have two eclipses intersect just a few years apart?

image.png.99793529806ddbb4aed9b8280d2117a1.png

That's pretty amazing!  On a slightly different note (related to Illinois), I also thought I heard that somewhere in Illinois, they have a cross-over of the 17 and 13 year periodical cicadas (I guess far enough south where both can exist?).  And this year, BOTH broods will be emerging at the same time!

5 minutes ago, nj2va said:

We’re in southern NH en route to our rental in northern NH. Lots of volume heading north on the roads already. 

We noticed a lot more southbound traffic on I-81 in the valley yesterday, returning from our 2.5 week road trip out/back to TX. We planned our trip without any pre-knowledge of the eclipse and I'm glad it worked out this way. I'm afraid that traffic into and out of the path of totality will continue to mount and reach occasionally nightmarish proportions (depending on location) tomorrow throughout the day.

• Like 1

Probably goes without saying...but for those of you equipped with appropriate filters on your DSLR/phone cameras, I hope you're willing to share your pics here over the next 24-48 hours. I will be doing my best here in the southern part of the DMV to capture our 70-80% eclipse by way of my trusty eclipse-filtered phonecam, but it sounds like a lot of you are traveling to locales in the path of totality, and I'm thinking/hoping you will get great pics.  :) 

• Like 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic