Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations

Northof78

7 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Tougher call for the N Shore, Northern NYC and I-80 in NJ, slight south shifts can bring them in the game for 3-6”. But I-84 corridor looks golden for this and has for days. 

Agree it does look trickier for the above region than I initially thought. The gradient should be somewhere near I80 latitude and then ENE of there if the current track holds.

1 minute ago, mikem81 said:

ERUO just shifted 30-50 miles south or so... One more of those and NYC is in the game, but that is a big ask

mesoscale models should be trusted more starting at 0Z within 36 hours out

36 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

Seems to start a little inside the benchmark which is a problem for NYC and points south. Also the airmass is mariginal. It will flip to snow everywhere but is this a mostly rain/white rain to 1-2 inches backend deal or a bombing out something bigger deal is the uncertainty. 

I think them relying so much on the benchmark as a delineator of where it will snow vs where it will rain or mix is a bad idea.  We have seen storms that came right across Long Island be mostly snow (Millenium storm) and we've seen offshore storms be mostly rain.  It all has to do with the antecedent airmass.  I think if you asked experts what determines whether it will snow or not, the number one answer would be the airmass in place as the storm comes in.

32 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Cool.  Yep that was me and still is, lol.  I used to have a website at Merck where I'd post snowfall info and forecasts from the NWS and other pros (I linked to this site and pro sites all the time; I also did/do tropical weather), as well as trying to explain what was going on (and the various outcome probabilities) to mostly non-scientists and people could sign up for email notifications when I had an update - had about 750 people on that list when I retired and of those I now have about 200 people from work (many I never knew) on my weather emails (also have a family/friends list of about 200).  Started doing this about 25 years ago when I was on the site crisis management team (which included snowstorm impacts).  And there's FB and a couple of RU sports boards where I post similar info. Keeps me busy, lol.  I don't post these long weather posts here because 90% of posters already know what's going on.  

Can you share the name or IM it?  Just curious who it is.  

Sent you a message. Knew it had to be you!

• Like 1

Just now, winterwx21 said:

Do you think our area can pull off 2 or 3 inches? The significant snow will be to the north, but I'm hoping we can get a couple inches here. 

Idk, I guess I like a coating to an inch on the grass for us. I need to see more shifts tomorrow before thinking 2-3 IMO 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

45 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Maybe they meant the 95 corridor in New England.

Probably, but it's still deceptive to say that since they always talk about the snowfall drought of I-95 and always refer to NYC, Philly, Baltimore, DC, etc. al.  Plus whenever the "benchmark track" is mentioned it's always in relation to coastal areas around here getting snow.

• Like 1

Just now, Allsnow said:

Idk, I guess I like a coating to an inch on the grass for us. I need to see more shifts tomorrow before thinking 2-3 IMO 

Yeah I think a coating to 2 inches is a good forecast for our area right now, but hoping it trends a little better so we can increase it to 1 to 3 tomorrow. 

If you get a bombing low at the right location then it will snow and stick to mostly colder surfaces. We have had positive busts in the past but I know people are scares to say so since the winters have sucked for the past 2 years.

I will continue to track this along with others who want to . It's a long shot but we do have a chance.

giphy.gif

(Unfortunately, until it happens, I don’t)

• Like 1

Some still think it will pass off the DelMarVa.
You guys have to start criticizing the weather channel, they are spreading false info.
1) They have said for days this is a noreaster
2) They have said for days this is passing south and east of the benchmark "ensuring mostly snow for the coast" (their words....)
3) They have said for days now that this is a "monster" I-95 snowstorm.
I went at them on social media telling them that they make a good case for why people from the south have no clue what an I-95 snowstorm or noreaster even is and why people in Atlanta have no business making weather forecasts for the northeast. So while we can blame "weenies" the real people to blame, once again, is the media, for spreading false information.

The Weather Channel isn’t what it used to be. (*what it was thirty years ago)

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1

• Northof78 changed the title to 2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic