Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations

Northof78

53 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Years of disappointment and north trends have us all pessimistic. I don’t have a good feeling about this one 

Hopefully this is the one where we make it happen and deny the usual late north push. But I’d way rather be in Boston or along I-84 to 90. If the confluence is real and does its job it can work, but we know what the odds favor. 

4 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Hopefully this is the one where we make it happen and deny the usual late north push. But I’d way rather be in Boston or along I-84 to 90. If the confluence is real and does its job it can work, but we know what the odds favor. 

Agree re late north push.  This isn’t unusual, in fact its fairly regular.  Nevermind that, just generally the last 36 hrs seem to have larger swings than we would see at this range.  Locked isn’t a thing.

1 hour ago, qg_omega said:

Just no cold air this year, absurd warmth to Montreal week after week

Right……. I said it yesterday and I’ll say it again…… I guessing it’s never snowed and stuck to the ground with days leading up in the 50’s. Sometimes I just roll my eyes at some of you thats why I barely post! 

• Like 1

Just now, allgame830 said:

Right……. I said it yesterday and I’ll say it again…… I guessing it’s never snowed and stuck to the ground with days leading up in the 50’s. Sometimes I just roll my eyes at some of you thats why I barely post! 

It definitely can snow despite lousy temps going into it. But that all depends on the storm taking a good track. It seems like this one might be seeing how fast the R/S line can crash south with the dynamics. We probably all see snow to end it but after how much rain or waste. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, allgame830 said:

We literally had a blizzard a few years back and the days leading up were in the 40-50s and the day before was 70+ on long Island. 

• Thanks 4

10 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

It definitely can snow despite lousy temps going into it. But that all depends on the storm taking a good track. It seems like this one might be seeing how fast the R/S line can crash south with the dynamics. We probably all see snow to end it but after how much rain or waste. 

I still believe the confluence will win out here. That and the baroclynicity will push it south a bit. Where the confluence war sets up sets the stage for a good hard thump. 

• Thanks 2

Just now, USCG RS said:

I still believe the confluence will win out here. That and the baroclynicity will push it south a bit. Where the confluence war sets up sets the stage for a good hard thump. 

Looks like this is one where the two good areas will be just N of where the rain/snow line sets up and it’s cold enough and on the N end of the storm where good ratios happen and the northern most fronto band sets up. But those bands will pivot around so the people in good snow should all have fun at some point. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Allsnow said:

Years of disappointment and north trends have us all pessimistic. I don’t have a good feeling about this one 

I don't either. This event is way too thread the needle for my liking, for those of us near the coast at least, and it's hard to ignore the usual north trends leading up to events like this. 

1 minute ago, Stormlover74 said:

Then you have the rgem which gives practically nothing to the interior

It’s good IMO that it’s staying south. Maybe it means we’re not dealing with a huge late N push again and it isn’t that great a model anyway. I wouldn’t be worried at all north of the city unless we see a bigger confluence push on the other models. 

2 hours ago, keno19 said:

Every person on this community is a weenie including myself. lol  The workers of the NWS don't come into forums like this.  Bernie Rayno  probably one of the best experienced meteorologists i know.  Todays weather channel meteorologists are all kids.  Seems they almost just give atmospheric science degrees now like water.  They dummy down the physics and calculus.  Its sad everything now is ensembles and looking at models from run to run.   I look at 75% of todays news weather men or women and they have backgrounds as journalism, earth science, environmental science lol.  Those degrees don't go through the  tough math and physics calculus differential equations, multi variable calculus, thermodynamics etc.  probably why forecasts are horrible today.  Don't want to be negative.  I just like the real science behind the forecast.

Good morning k19. Darn it, cliff notes for calculus and I find out about it now….. stay well, as always …..

IMG_7145.png

Just now, ILoveWinter said:

ICON is def a northerly outlier wow. Today's runs will be quite telling. 

I know overly simplistic, however, not a bad idea omit the outliers and take a weighted average of the primary models.

The outliers being ICON and RGEM.

• Like 2

• Northof78 changed the title to 2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic