Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations

Northof78

15 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

It’s not done…congrats NNE. 

The Good news is that the dry nonsense was oversold for after this week and the north trend isn’t going anywhere

The ECMWF weeklies are wet from February 26-March 11. The very strongly negative SOI (lowest daily value since May 24, 2023) suggests an active subtropical jet within two weeks or so. So,  there may be potential during that period, especially the first half where it looks to be colder than the second half.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Well, the GFS has moved the southern extent of 6"+ snow (at 10:1 ratios - maybe not a good assumption) north about 75 miles since 0Z, such that the 95 corridor from Trenton to NYC is now much closer to the "it gonna rain" line vs. 6Z and 0Z last night.  However, If folks want to know what a trend looks like, I give you the CMC, lol, as it's come hundreds of miles south over the last 36 hours.  But at the end of the day both the 12Z GFS and CMC are at least much closer to each other than they've been, so there's that.  

weird to say the least..........these models are not receiving the same data

25 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

How do you know it's not done ? There is so much north this can go.

Why are people dismissing this on this forum ?

We've had 2 inches of snow on the season, there has been 8 days of cold the whole season and there's limited cold for this event....that's why

2 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

EURO will be the tie breaker.

I always say lean Euro in an El Nino winter if you have major southern stream involvement but in this storm the flow is pretty fast and there are multiple interference factors that could come out of Canada so in reality we might look back in 4 days and find that the GFS or CMC ended up more accurate.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MJO812 said:

Its over 

For urban areas it likely is.   Hard to see how it accumulates on pavement in the city with temps 34 or so and a daytime event.    Would have to come down very heavy to overcome that.  N and W different story with some elevation/colder air

6 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

weird to say the least..........these models are not receiving the same data

Technically, the GFS uses a different initialization scheme from the GGEM, ECMWF, and UKMET. The latter three use the 4dVAR scheme, which is the leading one. Initialization differences aside, there could be other reasons why the different models handle things differently. If, for example, the GGEM and ECMWF are diverging, other issues could be involved. Overall, all the models are still searching for the solution and it may take another day or so for there to be good consensus.

16 minutes ago, snobal said:

i  can  guarantee  you the  CMC  will not  be  correct

I don't think any model is correct with the precip type and amounts at this point for obvious reasons total disagreement

1 minute ago, Metasequoia said:

The biggest red flag (for those in the city and south) is that the freezing line is north of the city for most of the models.

I said my main concern for sure is 700mb is not that cold and system is fast so it really needs to be dynamically induced or you'd probably be less snowy than even the Op GFS snow maps depicted

2 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Dynamics

This is usually a red flag because this can be very thread the needle when your airmass is marginal at best. Dynamics can only do so much. Case in point a few weeks back when even the interior struggled to get any snow. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Technically, the GFS uses a different initialization scheme from the GGEM, ECMWF, and UKMET. The latter three use the 4dVAR scheme, which is the leading one. Initialization differences aside, there could be other reasons why the different models handle things differently. If, for example, the GGEM and ECMWF are diverging, other issues could be involved. Overall, all the models are still searching for the solution and it may take another day or so for there to be good consensus.

the Canadian solution at 12Z is the weirdest one

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SBUWX23 said:

This is usually a red flag because this can be very thread the needle when your airmass is marginal at best. Dynamics can only do so much. Case in point a few weeks back when even the interior struggled to get any snow. 

shows you how bad this winter has been if you like cold and snow with marginal airmasses during historic prime time in February - this is more like a late March - Early April scenario

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

shows you how bad this winter has been if you like cold and snow with marginal airmasses during historic prime time in February - this is more like a late March - Early April scenario

Yep-can't buy a cold airmass this year except for a week in January

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I said my main concern for sure is 700mb is not that cold and system is fast so it really needs to be dynamically induced or you'd probably be less snowy than even the Op GFS snow maps depicted

Remind me, you like to see 700mb at least at -10?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

It might but not too far north.  Accumulating snow is definitely on the table.

Unless the Euro does something unforeseen in a few minutes, I think the GFS and EURO are starting to hone in on a solution. CMC and UKIE seems lost to me at the moment, but slowly starting to join the party.

• Haha 1

• Northof78 changed the title to 2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic