Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations

Northof78

2 hours ago, RU848789 said:

The fall line is the 95 corridor for the purposes of weather along the eastern seaboard and especially from DC to Boston.  More formally it's where the coastal plain meets the Piedmont and just NW of the fall line is where elevations start to increase and the fall line is often along rivers, like the Delaware in SNJ/SEPA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Seaboard_Fall_Line

for us physical geographers -- South Mountain Range in eastern PA is what usually defines where the typical snow falls elevation driven  and where it does not  In NJ, the south mountain range extends into Highlands and usually is the demarcation line

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

Presidents Day storm is too far out to even speculate on IMO

The outcome with this storm will likely control the outcome of that one.

Here's something I've always wondered about and it applies here.

The GFS was the first to pick up the Boxing Day Blizzard in December 2010 too.

If it had been wrong with that one, would the snowy pattern that followed have happened?

1 hour ago, Albedoman said:

for us physical geographers -- South Mountain Range in eastern PA is what usually defines where the typical snow falls elevation driven  and where it does not  In NJ, the south mountain range extends into Highlands and usually is the demarcation line

South Mountain Range.... is this anywhere near Lehighton?

25 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

confluence keeps increasing

gfs-ens_z500_vort_us_fh84_trend.thumb.gif.56dd7d6b66fb4d5b80ab865144aa6396.gif

Confusion keeps increasing too - GFS is obviously on its own regarding snowfall amounts - but it makes you wonder since it has been so consistent the last couple of days.....

• Like 3

What is wrong with you people?  Just kidding, but normally, when I'm away from the internet (poker night) for many hours during the run-up to an event, I judge whether things went well in the model suite by how many new pages there are in the thread and there was only one new page, so I assumed the GFS and CMC were both terrible, but then I check and the GFS looks great while the CMC was just way south with most of the precip, much earlier.  So at least it's not all bad - neither model really budged much I guess from previous runs.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

South Mountain Range.... is this anywhere near Lehighton?

Lehighton is located on the  Blue Mts range- Appalachian Trail location.   South Mountain is a lower elevation ridge of mountains/hills  that separates Lehigh Valley on the southeast side of the Lehigh Valley running parallel to the Delaware River up to about Easton. For example - I-78 traverses over South Mountain at the Route 309 interchange- the huge hill before you come into the Allentown area.  Anything southeast of Allentown is more in the Fall line area. Many times it  snows in Allentown but not in Quakertown and points southeast because of the South Mountains, In fact Bear Creek ski resort in Macungie  is in the top ten of ski resorts in the US is also at the top of the South Mountain Range and I live about 5 miles from it  https://www.thetravel.com/best-mountain-resorts-in-the-us-for-winter/#bear-creek-mountain-resort-pennsylvania-a-mountain-wonderland

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

What is wrong with you people?  Just kidding, but normally, when I'm away from the internet (poker night) for many hours during the run-up to an event, I judge whether things went well in the model suite by how many new pages there are in the thread and there was only one new page, so I assumed the GFS and CMC were both terrible, but then I check and the GFS looks great while the CMC was just way south with most of the precip, much earlier.  So at least it's not all bad - neither model really budged much I guess from previous runs.  

this thread was not started by Walt because he is not confident about any significant snow with this "event" and I agree with him so far.....but there is nothing else to track in this boring winter so we might as well track it IMO.....

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Albedoman said:

Lehighton is located on the  Blue Mts range- Appalachian Trail location.   South Mountain is a lower elevation ridge of mountains/hills  that separates Lehigh Valley on the southeast side of the Lehigh Valley running parallel to the Delaware River up to about Easton. For example - I-78 traverses over South Mountain at the Route 309 interchange- the huge hill before you come into the Allentown area.  Anything southeast of Allentown is more in the Fall line area. Many times it  snows in Allentown but not in Quakertown and points southeast because of the South Mountains, In fact Bear Creek ski resort in Macungie  is in the top ten of ski resorts in the US is also at the top of the South Mountain Range and I live about 5 miles from it  https://www.thetravel.com/best-mountain-resorts-in-the-us-for-winter/#bear-creek-mountain-resort-pennsylvania-a-mountain-wonderland

That's interesting you mentioned Bear Creek, there must be at least 3 Bear Creeks in eastern PA, there's one up in Carbon County too, near Jim Thorpe, as well as another one further NE from there.  The one in Carbon County is close to Camelback ski resort and up around 2200 ft.  How high up is the one in Macungie?

32 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

Confusion keeps increasing too - GFS is obviously on its own regarding snowfall amounts - but it makes you wonder since it has been so consistent the last couple of days.....

GFS consistency does not mean it's correct. Seen that too many times

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

GFS/ECMWF and ensembles vs CMC and UKMET. lol

As long as it doesn't get sheared out then parts of the region could do well. 

An amplifying storm and the squeeze play with confluence could yield some high totals otherwise. 

• Like 2

Euro looking similar to the GFS in many ways, although it's a little earlier and not as snowy - but a big improvement over 12Z, especially for those along 78 and even 95.  The early part would help with accumulations as ~90% of the snow falls before 7 am (after a good 3/4" of rain, at least for 95).  Euro and GFS vs. CMC and UK, I guess.  

sn10_acc-imp.us_state_ne_s.png

• Like 2

• Northof78 changed the title to 2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations
  • Rjay pinned this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic