• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid/Late February will be rocking. (This year we mean it!) February long range discussion.

JenkinsJinkies

26 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Nice, you're doing great! Mine was free and breast, and like you I was a sprinter. 50/100m events were in my wheelhouse. Made it to state in my junior and senior years

Now all this discussion about swimming is starting to get me motivated about it again! Not gonna dive into Masters or anything, but just to get things going a little bit more. I sit too much for work!

What was your best times, curious to see the difference between your generation of swimmers and the current one. Also congrats, and you should at least try to get back into it! I made it to states in two relays last year but missed it due to an extremely unfortunately timed covid + pink eye combo. Praying that doesn't happen this year, even if it does I still have one more year. 

20 minutes ago, 87storms said:

My swimming skills are “boogie boarding” level, but I found mountain biking (or biking in general) to be a great complement to basketball bc both can be HIIT/cardio. The benefit of biking is that it’s generally low impact (aside from the gnarly stuff). Soccer thru elem and basketball from middle school on def increased the wear and tear on my back/knees/ankles as I’ve gotten older.

I love biking to compliment swim, its a good contrast as its more focused on legs and being outside. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The look at the end of the ensembles is the loading pattern for all our big snowstorms.  My guess is we start seeing some very snowy solutions in a few days when the period after starts coming into range.  

Can you please keep this banter out of our swimming thread, thanks 

• Haha 12

2 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

What was your best times, curious to see the difference between your generation of swimmers and the current one. 

I think it has gotten a lot more competitive now than in my generation overall, but there was still decent competition in my age group. My 50m free was in the low-mid 24s and 50m breast was 32 something. I don't recall my 100m free time because it was a long-course pool and I wasn't used to that, so I had a bad race. But the 100y short course was low 49

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terpeast said:

Swimming is great. Used to do it competitively. It just takes more time to drive to a pool, change into my suit, and do enough laps to get enough cardio benefit, and then change and drive back. But I’m definitely keeping that option open

I know how to swim.

lol, I'm black. No I don't.  Let me not perpetuate that stereotype.  I know about 5000 black people and at least 2 know how to swim.  Doing it up.

Anyway, we tracking in 7 days, or what?

• Haha 10

4 hours ago, TJ3 said:

Jim Cantore not impressed at all with any staying power of mid February flip back to winter in the East. If at all. 

I have a twitter troll account.  I bookmarked that and I'm lying in wait.

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

Nice stretch of dry weather over the next week or so with temps near normal. I'll enjoy it and get some outside pre-Spring work done, and prepare for the deep winter period that will follow. B)

I don't even know who you are anymore. 

dcbcover.jpg

• Haha 12

19 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

I know how to swim.

lol, I'm black. No I don't.  Let me not perpetuate that stereotype.  I know about 5000 black people and at least 2 know how to swim.  Doing it up.

I always thought your profile picture was you. I was shocked that you're black lol

• Haha 10

13 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

I know how to swim.

One of the best swimmers on our team, Terrence, is black. Jamaican family...he's like a bobsledder.

We'll be tracking in no time. The back of the pattern will be showing up in the next couple weeks, so gotta get started tracking soon.

Just now, mattie g said:

One of the best swimmers on our team, Terrence, is black. Jamaican family...like a bobsledder.

We'll be tracking in no time. The back of the pattern will be showing up in the next couple weeks, so gotta get started tracking soon.

Yeah.  I have faith in our guys here.  I really believe this time.  I think we'll be tracking before the Super bowl tbh.  I just wanna say the F word so bad.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

I think it has gotten a lot more competitive now than in my generation overall, but there was still decent competition in my age group. My 50m free was in the low-mid 24s and 50m breast was 32 something. I don't recall my 100m free time because it was a long-course pool and I wasn't used to that, so I had a bad race. But the 100y short course was low 49

I'd assume our 50 frees are relatively similar then and your breastroke is a good bit faster than mine, I do take you in 100 free with a mid 47 to your 49. Either way those times aren't that far off what you'd expect today, the 100 freestyle is by far the biggest difference with the state cut being a 48.4 now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Yeah.  I have faith in our guys here.  I really believe this time.  I think we'll be tracking before the Super bowl tbh.  I just wanna say the F word so bad.

I'm hoping we'll have lots of F-words (of the good variety!) and Jaws music, and maybe declaring things as being "randytastic" (a'la the 2016 blizzard)!!!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

I'd assume our 50 frees are relatively similar then and your breastroke is a good bit faster than mine, I do take you in 100 free with a mid 47 to your 49. Either way those times aren't that far off what you'd expect today, the 100 freestyle is by far the biggest difference with the state cut being a 48.4 now. 

Why did my breaststroke get deleted?. Michael Phelps can vouch for me. 

3 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

just a beautiful retrograding -NAO here alongside split flow and a roaring STJ. trough is in the east by the 13th, as well. no can kick in sight

IMG_4536.thumb.png.a16b7d902d2609112bb6b30f1ef92d42.png

The Canadian has been more bullish on the idea of a strong west based -NAO. Maybe the better models will get there.

4 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

just a beautiful retrograding -NAO here alongside split flow and a roaring STJ. trough is in the east by the 13th, as well. no can kick in sight

Look at that 50/50 with an incoming STJ wave. Canada no longer torched, should be cold enough to snow from NC north

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

I don't know about "the can" but there are some people who need a kick. 

Seriously, yes we've been through a lot, I get it, and yea of course ideally we would all love for this to have set in sooner and not to have to wait for the back 1/3 of winter....but we are staring the best pattern we've had since 2010 in the face, its finally almost here...and now some are deciding its the time to go uber deb and fill the thread with emotional venting and freak outs.  

If this fails I will be there with ya full scorched Earth but seriously were about to enter our best chance at a truly significant snowy period in over 8 years, lets chill out and see how this shakes out.  Some of us aren't going to make it at this rate.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 4

Just now, CAPE said:

The Canadian has been more bullish on the idea of a strong west based -NAO. Maybe the better models will get there.

The CMC is always more bullish on HL blocking in general it seems. In both domains.  

Just now, psuhoffman said:

I don't know about "the can" but there are some people who need a kick. 

Seriously, yes we've been through a lot, I get it, and yea of course ideally we would all love for this to have set in sooner and not to have to wait for the back 1/3 of winter....but we are staring the best pattern we've had since 2010 in the face, its finally almost here...and now some are deciding its the time to go uber deb and fill the thread with emotional venting and freak outs.  

If this fails I will be there with ya full scorched Earth but seriously were about to enter our best chance at a truly significant snowy period in over 8 years, lets chill out and see how this shakes out.  Some of us aren't going to make it at this rate.  

We already lost Ralph apparently, after his panic posting over a 'can kick' based on one model cycle.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

You need to visit other forums in the East and conduct therapy, because if you think its a bummer here at times other forums are even worse.  I totally get it though.  Its been a very long time for some areas. I understand the frustration.  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic