• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2024 General Discussion

Spartman

Saw a few flurries fluttering down from scattered statocu early this morning.  Only made it to 30 here today, 47 degrees colder than yesterday's high.

EDIT:  With 0.13" of precip, this is the driest Feb I can remember here.  MLI picked up a little rain yesterday and that bumped them up to a lofty 0.26".  DVN has 0.18".  

Snowfall this month will total 0.3" here, with 0.6"/0.5" at MLI/DVN.

1 hour ago, josh_4184 said:

Wow, 70 degrees yesterday, 2AM heavy storms, to snow and 15 degrees all day with 6" of snow so far, dont think I have every seen such changes in short order. 

wow, didn't realize it got to 70 degrees north of Lansing.

current 24 hour temp change. As for yesterday, I posted one of these that had a 60 degree temperature drop in Nebraska. For all I can remember, a value of 60 degrees downwards is close to the max I've seen in Wyoming and such areas.

40 degrees down.gif

sfct_change_024h_obs.us_mw.png

record temp toledo.jpg

• Like 1

I remember reading and researching climate change/global warming as a kid.  The one thing that has stuck with me was the talk of drastic/wild temperature swings much like we are seeing.  Is it really even a debate anymore?? I think the wild extremists that talked of oceans rising 10ft and ridiculous temps muddled the waters and created a bunch of skeptics and conspiracy theorists.  Which are now grown adults with  very loud Social Media speakers..

Probably the wrong thread but Winter's is over for the foreseeable future.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Chinook said:

wow, didn't realize it got to 70 degrees north of Lansing.

current 24 hour temp change. As for yesterday, I posted one of these that had a 60 degree temperature drop in Nebraska. For all I can remember, a value of 60 degrees downwards is close to the max I've seen in Wyoming and such areas.

40 degrees down.gif

sfct_change_024h_obs.us_mw.png

record temp toledo.jpg

It made it up to 73F as far north as Traverse City, Michigan, which exceeded the prior monthly record by 7F. Prior to this year, it had only reached 60 or better in February in 4 years (1984, 1999, 2000, and 2017) since 1896, and only exceeded 60 in two of those years (2000 & 2017). Absurd, especially considering the identical 73F reading at Toledo was also a monthly record, and the Michigan statewide record was 72F from 1999.

• Like 1

I remember reading and researching climate change/global warming as a kid.  The one thing that has stuck with me was the talk of drastic/wild temperature swings much like we are seeing.  Is it really even a debate anymore?? I think the wild extremists that talked of oceans rising 10ft and ridiculous temps muddled the waters and created a bunch of skeptics and conspiracy theorists.  Which are now grown adults with  very loud Social Media speakers..

It’s definitely warming, but I don’t think this is a winter that’s atypical from what strong El Nino’s are. Let’s be honest though, the Pacific is roaring and there’s little snow cover north of here. These powerhouse lows are going to keep bringing gulf air followed by a big cool down

-3 this morning with an afternoon high of 19.  Rollercoaster ride in temps continue tomorrow, back in the upper 40's.

Did receive a windswept 5 inches of snow after the record warm temps a couple days ago.  Snow stake measuring a foot otg.

Deepest snow in the UP is at the Eagle Mine co-op site just nw of here where they're reporting 19 inches otg and the Munising co-op with 18 inches.

On 2/21/2024 at 3:14 PM, michsnowfreak said:

Whats even funnier...is you can read newspaper articles from other historically warm winters (1881-82, 1889-90, 1918-19, 1931-32, 1982-83, etc) and they discuss the abnormal warmth, lack of snow, and "open" winter as they called them....and manage to actually discuss the oddities of the weather WITHOUT throwing CC into every (or any) sentence. Also, they do not plaster it as a front page spread contrary to what youve heard. I know as I have a subscription to view any daily newspaper since 1837. Oh, and btw, Detroits 3 warmest winters are 1881-82, 1931-32, & 1889-90. Stay tuned for TCC's expert analysis of why those records are wrong and shouldnt count :lol:

This is kind of nonsense I'm talking about... January 22, 1906 headline of the NY Times "Winter Heat Wave Sends Crowd to Coney Island" - the high was 60F in New York City that day. But apparently crowds were flocking to the beach to beat the heat. The story continues on Page 2 talking about caterpillars dropping from trees and butterflies flying around in Rutland, Vermont. :lol:

Here's the story from Pittsburgh [then Pittsburg] from the NY Times:

image.thumb.png.c829960c4969a75183e4ed449471a8bc.png

Oh no! It was 74F on top of the hot roof of the Farmers National Bank Building - that's a 344' skyscraper that was tore down in 1997 BTW. But urban heat island effect didn't exist in 1906! Lol.

Anyways, the absurdity of this is hilarious. A "heat prostration" in January - why didn't the guy take off his winter coat? And why were steel and glass mills shutting down? How the heck did they operate in the summer?

Oh, and some things never change - that blizzard the Weather Bureau forecast, yeah that didn't happen.  It apparently was a blizzard in the middle of the country with temperatures as low as -16F in Missouri though.

3 hours ago, Frog Town said:

I've said this for years. Agenda pushing extremists with their unrealistic, outlandish "predictions" are CC's own worst enemy. 

As for temperature swings, that's more of a gray area because there's always been temperature swings, and they are usually magnified in El Nino and La Nina winters.

Assuming you mean this winters over for the foreseeable future?

2 hours ago, weatherbo said:

-3 this morning with an afternoon high of 19.  Rollercoaster ride in temps continue tomorrow, back in the upper 40's.

Did receive a windswept 5 inches of snow after the record warm temps a couple days ago.  Snow stake measuring a foot otg.

Deepest snow in the UP is at the Eagle Mine co-op site just nw of here where they're reporting 19 inches otg and the Munising co-op with 18 inches.

I have been to Munising several times right around this time of year and this is usually when they have their deepest snow of the season. Usually it's quite a sight to see with snow nearly to the rooftops of many one story houses. So when I saw that the snow depth until the other day was around 6 inches, it was almost unbelievable.

31 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

This is kind of nonsense I'm talking about... January 22, 1906 headline of the NY Times "Winter Heat Wave Sends Crowd to Coney Island" - the high was 60F in New York City that day. But apparently crowds were flocking to the beach to beat the heat. The story continues on Page 2 talking about caterpillars dropping from trees and butterflies flying around in Rutland, Vermont. :lol:

Oh no! It was 74F on top of the hot roof of the Farmers National Bank Building - that's a 344' skyscraper that was tore down in 1997 BTW. But urban heat island effect didn't exist in 1906! Lol.

Anyways, the absurdity of this is hilarious. A "heat prostration" in January - why didn't the guy take off his winter coat? And why were steel and glass mills shutting down? How the heck did they operate in the summer?

Oh, and some things never change - that blizzard the Weather Bureau forecast, yeah that didn't happen.  It apparently was a blizzard in the middle of the country with temperatures as low as -16F in Missouri though.

If the media covered the recent heat in Michigan the same way. Crowds converged on Grand Haven beach to escape the searing sun. Butterflies spotted in Gaylord. Two heat prostrations in Detroit. Auto industry closed up shop and evacuated its plants. A thermometer in the sun somewhere registered 85 degrees. But bundle up because a blizzard is hitting tomorrow. :lol:

2 hours ago, nwohweather said:

It’s definitely warming, but I don’t think this is a winter that’s atypical from what strong El Nino’s are. Let’s be honest though, the Pacific is roaring and there’s little snow cover north of here. These powerhouse lows are going to keep bringing gulf air followed by a big cool down

This winter was very typical of a strong nino weather wise in the midwest. I've said it a 100 times, strong El ninos are basically guaranteed crummy winters in this region. There has never been a good one. So during a strong nino, you hope some of the other atmospheric factors are on your side for a few good spells. But this year, other than Jan, the Pacific doubled down for an extra F-U.

42 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Ok yeah that article is ridiculous lol. I've definitely never seen anything that dramatic in the Detroit Free Press. During summertime heatwaves they would list the number of heat prostration. But 70s would not cause that. The Jan 20-22, 1906 warm spell (also a strong nino) was very impressive for the time of year but the above article is similar to modern day clickbait.

Looks like Detroit will finish with a mean of 37.1F, good for third warmest February on record. In addition to the monthly maximum record of 73F on the 27th, the low of 49F on the 9th tied for warmest minimum of record in the month of February [previously set on February 20, 2018].

5 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Looks like Detroit will finish with a mean of 37.1F, good for third warmest February on record. In addition to the monthly maximum record of 73F on the 27th, the low of 49F on the 9th tied for warmest minimum of record in the month of February [previously set on February 20, 2018].

Its interesting that February has never seen a minimum temperature of 50°+, considering January is the coldest month of the year, but 8 times has seen a minimum of 50°+ (highest 55° in 1950 & 2008).

11 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

I have been to Munising several times right around this time of year and this is usually when they have their deepest snow of the season. Usually it's quite a sight to see with snow nearly to the rooftops of many one story houses. So when I saw that the snow depth until the other day was around 6 inches, it was almost unbelievable.

What's great tho about living in a UP snowbelt, even in the weakest of weak winter's, by most people's standards it was still winter, and for once I'll be happy to not see the snow linger into May. There might actually be a spring this year.  But yeah, it is a little unbelievable how little snow there is.

430550597_800132482143178_4157736379733931510_n.thumb.jpg.aaab1dff018284d1d0b37dd708e9e758.jpg

2nd warmest Feb on record in Madison, missing the top spot by 0.2 degrees.

2nd warmest winter on record in Madison, 1.5 from 1877/78 but 0.7 degrees clear of 2001/02.  

Winter snowfall was 30.2" (-8.2" below average).  

2 hours ago, weatherbo said:

What's great tho about living in a UP snowbelt, even in the weakest of weak winter's, by most people's standards it was still winter, and for once I'll be happy to not see the snow linger into May. There might actually be a spring this year.  But yeah, it is a little unbelievable how little snow there is.

430550597_800132482143178_4157736379733931510_n.thumb.jpg.aaab1dff018284d1d0b37dd708e9e758.jpg

Oh for sure. When people in the north say "we didn't have a winter" they don't mean it literally. In places like TN or NC If they get one or two measurable snowfalls in a winter and a good cold snap, it's remembered as success. But it's a different beast in the north. For me personally, this winter has probably edged out 2011-12 and 1997-98 for worst winter in my memory. It has been remarkably boring outside of a 2 week stretch in January, but there still has literally been some snow in those boring times lol. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Powerball said:

With only 3.1", February 2025 will tie for the 19th least snowiest on record for DTW. It will also be the 4th driest with only 0.24: of precipitation.

From wettest Jan to 4th driest Feb.  *EDIT* bite your tongue. Don't be jinxing next Feb :lol:

Feb was 3rd warmest, behind only 1882 & 2017, edging past 1998.

Winter DJF finished 4th warmest, behind 1881-82, 1931-32, & 1889-90. Still a solid 2° colder than the incredible winter of 1881-82. 

Despite tying for the second least snowy December and tying for the 19th least snowy February, a pretty snowy January kept this DJF snowfall (20.2") well outside the top 20 futile list. If no more measurable snow fell the rest of the way, this season (22.6") would tie for the 13th least snowy season on record. However, if 2.6" or more falls, it would not make even the top 20.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

From wettest Jan to 4th driest Feb.  *EDIT* bite your tongue. Don't be jinxing next Feb :lol:

Feb was 3rd warmest, behind only 1882 & 2017, edging past 1998.

Winter DJF finished 4th warmest, behind 1881-82, 1931-32, & 1889-90. Still a solid 2° colder than the incredible winter of 1881-82. 

Despite tying for the second least snowy December and tying for the 19th least snowy February, a pretty snowy January kept this DJF snowfall (20.2") well outside the top 20 futile list. If no more measurable snow fell the rest of the way, this season (22.6") would tie for the 13th least snowy season on record. However, if 2.6" or more falls, it would not make even the top 20.

Whoops!!! i didn't even realize I made that typo...:lol:

• Haha 1

Feb at DLH 4th warmest.

1877 - 31.3

1878 - 31.0

1998 - 29.0

*2024 - 27.3

1931 - 26.1

Here in TH it was 4th (raw) as well, but it's 0700 reading now since 2021. PM the rest of it's history since 1894. That would make it 2nd with at least a +1 correction. The other years would receive an approx - 1 adjustment for pm readings.

1998 - 31.4 (~30.4)

1931 - 28.6 (~27.6)

1987 - 28.0 (~27.0)

*2024 - 27.9 (~28.9)

2012 - 27.1 (~26.1)

Very dry Feb here in TH at 0.27", but tied 15th for least precip. Only 0.3" of snow for the month ties 1st with 1998 as least snowiest.

For weatherbo in Marquette, MI, Feb was 5th. 1877/78 were 2400 readings, and the rest were 0800. Even making + 1 adjustments here makes no difference.

1998 - 32.6 (~33.6)

1878 - 32.4

1877 - 32.1

2000 - 29.7 (~30.7)

*2024 - 29.4 (~30.4)

• Like 1

So from what I can see, Minneapolis, Des Moines, Milwaukee, and Lansing had their warmest winter this past season. The rest of the longer period stns were scattered in the top 10 (mostly top 5) for the Midwest region in general. Now on to Spring. :) Technically that is LOL!

February 2024 finished as the warmest February on record for Chicago.

Warmest February's
1. 39.5° - 2024
2. 39.0° - 1882
3. 38.7° - 1998
4. 38.0° - 2017
5. 37.5° - 1954
6. 37.3° - 1877
7. 37.1° - 1930
8. 36.5° - 1878
9. 35.8° - 1976
10. 35.6° - 1931

Springfield,IL had it's 3rd warmest February on record. The 80 degrees reached Tuesday the 27th was both the warmest February high temp aend the warmest meteorlogical winter day on record.

The .51" precip for the month tied for the 6th driest February.

Screenshot_20240301_185738_Chrome.jpg.3cce358fef81046a37fcc9f4a58a9239.jpg

• Like 1