• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2024

wdrag

Low of 17 now to 33.  Sunny and breezy.   Rapid meltoff yesterday now hard snow about 1 -3 inches left on the grass. Drying out this week and riding the colder side of normal. Next storm later in the week Fri - Sat which now is looking wet vs mix/white.  Close out warmer than normal perhaps significantly.

GOES16-EUS-02-1000x1000.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Records:

Highs:

EWR: 71 (2011)
NYC: 68 (1981)
LGA: 67 (2011)

Lows:

EWR: -1 (1979)
NYC:  0 (1979)
LGA: 0 (1979)

Historical:

1899 - While much of the central and eastern U.S. was recovering from the most severe cold wave of modern history, the temperature at San Francisco soared to 80 degrees to establish a record for month of February. (David Ludlum)

1959 - Some of the higher elevations of California were in the midst of a five day storm which produced 189 inches of snow, a single storm record for North America. (13th-19th) (David Ludlum)

1965: A massive avalanche kills 26 men at the Granduc Copper Mine in British Columbia on this day.

1987 - A small but intense low pressure system combined with northerly upslope winds to produce eight inches of snow in five hours at Meeteetsie WY, located southeast of Cody. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1988 - Thunderstorms soaked the Central Gulf Coast Region with heavy rain. Totals in southern Louisiana ranged up to 8.50 inches near the town of Ridge, with 6.55 inches at Plaguemine. Thunderstorms in northern Florida drenched Apalachicola with 5.41 inches of rain in 24 hours, and produced wind gusts to 75 mph at Mayo. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1989 - Low pressure off the coast of North Carolina brought freezing rain and heavy snow to Virginia and the Carolinas. Snowfall totals in Virginia ranged up to 18 inches at Franklin. Freezing rain reached a thickness of two inches around Charlotte NC. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1990 - An intense but slow moving Pacific storm worked its way across Utah over a two day period. The storm blanketed the valleys with 4 to 12 inches of snow, and produced up to 42 inches of snow in the mountains. Heavy snow also fell across northern Arizona. Williams received 22 inches of snow, and 12 inches was reported along the south rim of the Grand Canyon. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1992: A thunderstorm spawned a powerful F4 tornado for so far north for the time of the year in southern Van Wert County in Ohio. The tornado touched down just west of US Route 127 and traveled northeastward for about 3 miles. One house was completely leveled, and nine others experienced severe damage. Six people were injured. 

2003:

20030215-20030218-7.50.jpg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Even if it ended today, for myself personally, I have reached 50% of average annual snowfall at 15.5. 

I went in honestly thinking 97/98 was possible, so from an expectations perspective I am ok.

Well here in NE Mass I am sitting at less than 50 percent of normal snowfall to go along with well above normal temps...grade F- winter....

Just now, Great Snow 1717 said:

Well here in NE Mass I am sitting at less than 50 percent of normal snowfall to go along with well above normal temps...grade F- winter....

Definitely worse north. I think DC is still above or close to average for this date!

I only grade on snowfall. 

2 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Definitely worse north. I think DC is still above or close to average for this date!

I only grade on snowfall. 

My grade factors in snowfall, temps, snowpack retention, the number of storms, and the overall feel and look of winter...

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I am glad your area was able to really cash in on this jet stream assist creating a great left from exit region. 

First time a north trend benefited my area in forever. Thanks for all this information about the event 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Allsnow said:

The park at 7 is so embarrassing 

It's ridiculous, and it's what's reported as how much snow NYC has. Maybe some private company should start doing measurements at the Park if the regular observer keeps screwing up, or choose an airport to have official NYC obs, probably LGA. More often than not it's snowier IMBY than the city but I supposedly have more than double that (which is BS).

• Like 4

It's ridiculous, and it's what's reported as how much snow NYC has. Maybe some private company should start doing measurements at the Park if the regular observer keeps screwing up, or choose an airport to have official NYC obs, probably LGA. More often than not it's snowier IMBY than the city but I supposedly have more than double that (which is BS).
From what I've been told by a former coworker at OKX, the CPK conservancy folks do a better job than the security guards that used to do it. But they're still not trained observers like FAA contract observers and probably still lower quality than good long-running COOP sites and diligent CoCoRaHS observers.

If I were to guess, they too often or mostly adhere only to the 6-hour board clearing and don't take intermediate measurements when the situation (melting and/or sublimation of fallen snow) requires it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EastonSN+ said:
Will be late in the game, however still a possibility.
image.thumb.png.22d3d81e6e92818c10a91600a040b66a.png

It’s not even remotely worth looking at the CFS for March until like 2/28. They have a known record of not having the slightest glimmer of a clue and flip flop like a fish out of water until just before the next month starts

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

what is so embarrassing about it?

They haven’t had more than that. There hasn’t been one day where I looked out at what they had, and said geez they measured to low. Maybe 8?

Let’s cut the garbage here with CPK already. It is ridiculous. A bunch of 2 inch storms that melted as soon as it fell. That has been their season. The 7 reflects that

16 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

From what I've been told by a former coworker at OKX, the CPK conservancy folks do a better job than the security guards that used to do it. But they're still not trained observers like FAA contract observers and probably still lower quality than good long-running COOP sites and diligent CoCoRaHS observers.

If I were to guess, they too often or mostly adhere only to the 6-hour board clearing and don't take intermediate measurements when the situation (melting and/or sublimation of fallen snow) requires it.

That’s why Lonnie Quinn got the intermediate measurement which was higher. Add this up over a complete season and we can see how the official totals at NYC are lower than the surrounding stations. It’s also how that artificial under 1” record ran so long only at NYC and not any other local stations.

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/biggest-snow-accumulation-totals-around-n-y-n-j-and-conn/

• Central Park: 3.2 inches officially, 3.9 inches as measured by CBS New York's Lonnie Quinn

Number of Consecutive Days Snowfall < 1 
for NY CITY CENTRAL PARK, NY
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Rank
Run Length
Ending Date
1 701 2024-01-15
2 383 1998-03-21
3 381 1955-02-01

for LAGUARDIA AIRPORT, NY
Rank
Run Length
Ending Date
1 642 1973-12-16
2 386 1992-03-18
3 383 1998-03-21
4 378 2023-02-26

for NEWARK LIBERTY INTL AP, NJ
Rank
Run Length
Ending Date
1 661 1973-12-15
2 378 2023-02-26
3 363 1955-01-14
4 351 1992-02-12

for JFK INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, NY
Rank
Run Length
Ending Date
1 660 1974-01-03
2 378 2023-02-26
3 363 1989-01-05
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

It's actually happened a number of times.

image.png.029d12587f5563372e0f2b8cb0bcb25a.png

It's interesting most of those seasons were very good, the ones which were below normal snowfall are a minority.

How far back do the records from JFK go... I was shocked to see 1948-49 in there!  Is there any record from there for the historic 1947-48 winter and the December 1947 HECS? That was NYC's biggest snowstorm of the 20th century!

It's interesting 1982-83 isn't in there, as that was the only winter in the 80s that they exceeded 30" of snowfall.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bluewave said:

That’s why Lonnie Quinn got the intermediate measurement which was higher. Add this up over a complete season and we can see how the official totals at NYC are lower than the surrounding stations. It’s also how that artificial under 1” record ran so long only at NYC and not any other local stations.

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/biggest-snow-accumulation-totals-around-n-y-n-j-and-conn/

• Central Park: 3.2 inches officially, 3.9 inches as measured by CBS New York's Lonnie Quinn

Exactly! Two days last winter of 0.9 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

That's the only complaint, number of intermittent measurements. It's not always important but is on occasion, especially in small snowfall events. 

An extreme event IMBY was early March 2018. All day it snowed and due to the temperature being at 34/35, I was stuck at approx 3 inches. Then late night it became extremely heavy, I walked outside not expecting much and was shocked to see a wall of snow, measured a bit over 10 inches! The snow became only moderate and in 2 hours I was down to 7.5 inches!! Temps jumped back to 35. 

A few hours later in the morning it was a sloppy 5.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

It’s not even remotely worth looking at the CFS for March until like 2/28. They have a known record of not having the slightest glimmer of a clue and flip flop like a fish out of water until just before the next month starts

Yep and this has always been the case, before the last week of the previous month they're upper crap.

1 minute ago, EastonSN+ said:

That's the only complaint, number of intermittent measurements. It's not always important but is on occasion, especially in small snowfall events. 

An extreme event IMBY was early March 2018. All day it snowed and due to the temperature being at 34/35, I was stuck at approx 3 inches. Then late night it became extremely heavy, I walked outside not expecting much and was shocked to see a wall of snow, measured a bit over 10 inches! The snow became only moderate and in 2 hours I was down to 7.5 inches!! Temps jumped back to 35. 

A few hours later in the morning it was a sloppy 5.

Measuring snowfall is more complicated than it seems at first glance.

• Thanks 1