• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
It was a Flop... February 2024 Disco. Thread

3 minutes ago, MBRI said:

Keep weading West To  the burg. Much better snow east of RT 3.  Boundary Pond  groomed!

Not sure where were going yet, We usually head towards Jackman or towards Bosebuck but there not grooming to there anymore plus some logging going on too since it was sold.

Feeling it for you's guys and gals.
Time to except what it is.
Seems the season of which we all look forward to has been coming later, ending earlier. What up with dat?
Time is running out. IMO maybe the only way to save this year would be to pull an 11th hour Blizzard.   

• Like 1

Just now, ROOSTA said:

Feeling it for you's guys and gals.
Time to except what it is.
Seems the season of which we all look forward to has been coming later, ending earlier. What up with dat?
Time is running out. IMO maybe the only way to save this year would be to pull an 11th hour Blizzard.   

I wouldn't call it "11th hour" in a warm ENSO.....especially over the past 20 years....just hitting 6ish-

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I wouldn't call it "11th hour" in a warm ENSO.....especially over the past 20 years....just hitting 6ish-

Yeah, that's present time. It's the henceforth I'm referring to. Really nothing modeled in the near term. 
By the time the atmosphere realigns in a week or three that then will be almost to late to enjoy.
A disappointing season when all is said and done.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ROOSTA said:

Yeah, that's present time. It's the henceforth I'm referring to. Really nothing modeled in the near term. 
By the time the atmosphere realigns in a week or three that then will be almost to late to enjoy.
A disappointing season when all is said and done.   

I guess....but will anyone but Kevin care if we get another Feb 2013, 1983 like event? Plenty will enjoy that. Maybe even Jan 2016, Feb 2010 shifted north....

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Pretty much right at 6. Climo-wise we are almost at 50% (52% to be exact) for snowfall for the season. Example: BDL should be at 27" of their 51.7" 30 yr-average. BDL currently is at 15.5" (11.5" below normal)

10-11 (Jan 11) was really something extraordinary, looks like the BOS graph from 14-15. 

Screenshot 2024-02-01 104048.png

• Thanks 1

And lets get one thing straight...snowfall has sucked near the coast. Not inland. Much of the interior is near normal. I know my spot isn't the best example, but if you extrapolate January outpout through February and March, I am over 80". Pretty sure much of the interior can participate in that exercise and arrive at least near normal.

Yes, it has been very warm because of December....January was nothing extreme. More awful luck to get that much precipitation in the absence of exotic warmth and have that little snow near the coast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I guess....but will anyone but Kevin care if we get another Feb 2013, 1983 like event? Plenty will enjoy that. Maybe even Jan 2016, Feb 2010 shifted north....

I'll still stand by this notion unless the data proves me wrong. 

Majority of our big winters (and big as in large departures from average on the positive side) occur because of 1-2+ large storms...not because we get 15 3-4'' events. I bet even in phenomenal winters, the number of events which produce widespread accumulations aren't significantly greater than usual. 

• Like 1

Just now, weatherwiz said:

Majority of our big winters (and big as in large departures from average on the positive side) occur because of 1-2+ large storms...not because we get 15 3-4'' events. I bet even in phenomenal winters, the number of events which produce widespread accumulations aren't significantly greater than usual. 

Yea, from SNE points south....it changes for NNE.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MJO812 said:

Dude your trolling is annoying. This is before the pattern change. 

Yeah the pattern is not good right now but there are still 2 threats to track. The clipper threat for Feb 2-3 and the possible coastal scraper on Feb 7-8th. Both of these threats need a lot of work. Neither will be blizzards but any snow is good snow at this point. There’s nothing wrong with a quick inch or 2 of snow to make it look like winter.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

True. It's very rare to get a 1995/96 style winter around here, or really anything close. That was my favorite winter so far in SNE since I've been following in the late 70s. Others have been close, but 95/96 we had snow OTG much of the time from November through late march. Never usually happens contrary to what many chirp on this forum

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, UnitedWx said:

True. It's very rare to get a 1995/96 style winter around here, or really anything close. That was my favorite winter so far in SNE since I've been following in the late 70s. Others have been close, but 95/96 we had snow OTG much of the time from November through late march. Never usually happens contrary to what many chirp on this forum

Its close between 1995-1996 and 2014-2015...depends on my mood. If I have a real hankering for the D Drip...2015. But 1995-1996 was perfect in every way and at the end of the day gave me 12" more snow.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Its close between 1995-1996 and 2014-2015...depends on my mood. If I have a real hankering for the D Drip...2015. But 1995-1996 was perfect in every way and at the end of the day gave me 12" more snow.

95-96 was a true yore winter from November through April. Yes we had melt periods..but man always stuff to track. It won't beat 14-15 for D drip as you said though. I won't see that ferocity again.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

95-96 was a true yore winter from November through April. Yes we had melt periods..but man always stuff to track. It won't beat 14-15 for D drip as you said though. I won't see that ferocity again.

Kind of lacked 2015 in magnitude department, thouugh....as far as storm and peak deopth. Jan 8, 1996 was actually a bit less impressive to me than this past January 7...100% honest. I would rank it ahead.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Winter of 1995-1996 and summer of 1998...if only we could repeat those more often.

• Weenie 1

28 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Kind of lacked 2015 in magnitude department, thouugh....as far as storm and peak deopth. Jan 8, 1996 was actually a bit less impressive to me than this past January 7...100% honest. I would rank it ahead.

I've been looking back at 2015 since this winter blows. Man the euphoria for those 6 weeks. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Prismshine Productions said:

Talk about a screwhole5ee715f2888222da2929923eb4fe4b4c.jpg

Sent from my SM-S146VL using Tapatalk

would not trust anything the GFS is selling during the next 3 to maybe 5 days...

Not the type of hemisphere that particular model does very well in - which is, a combination of a pattern change happening while velocities are relaxing(ed). 

Just look at the recent handling of this scenario over the near-by west Atlantic Basin. 

Most guidance do not do so well at 300+ hour anyway - not expected to... But, the GFS is particularly extra-special secret sauce useless... If it's not handling the mid range worth a shit, that's no lending credence to the anything in that distant range ( understatement).

Having said that, it doesn't seem to even have pattern orientation nearing the ides of the month, I time when all other available tooling and techniques have highly correlative +PNA --> loading a +PNAP hemisphere.  

14 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I've been looking back at 2015 since this winter blows. Man the euphoria for those 6 weeks. 

The other thing people rarely mention, but was just as historic was the cold. When it locked in it was brutal to be outside for any length of time. Since most people will remember the snow but being outside on overnight work was as cold or colder than I have experienced in 35+ years.

Also by March of 95 I was hoping winter would just end.  I was exhausted by then.