• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
It was a Flop... February 2024 Disco. Thread

16 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Eric Webb thinks the MJO will slow down and the great pattern will continue well into March .

Hope he is right 

Screenshot_20240126_173700_Chrome.jpg

And if I'm not mistaken, isn't Eric Webb usually very conservative and also warm biased? I've never actually seen him on this end of the spectrum so confident about the look coming up. I hope he's right. Judah Cohen had made a post about 5 days ago about the polar vortex tightening up and staying in a tight circle for the rest of the winter. But I can understand is how one meteorologist has one outlook where another has a whole different outlook. It's just like the storms this year. One model has it going one way and another has it going the other way lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

And if I'm not mistaken, isn't Eric Webb usually very conservative and also warm biased? I've never actually seen him on this end of the spectrum so confident about the look coming up. I hope he's right. Judah Cohen had made a post about 5 days ago about the polar vortex tightening up and staying in a tight circle for the rest of the winter. But I can understand is how one meteorologist has one outlook where another has a whole different outlook. It's just like the storms this year. One model has it going one way and another has it going the other way lol

Yes he is conservative 

He has always said from the beginning that February will be the wintry month .

15 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

Judah is failing to realize that what happens up top isn't exactly what happens down here. it's the same as a SSW event that doesn't couple. it seems like the stratosphere is going to do its own thing

gfs_nh-namindex_20240126.png.1666b43e28177b40ef364f48331476e8.png

• Like 1

seems like everything is coming together... Pacific jet is retracting and allowing for a strong Aleutian low to form, the NAM in the troposphere remains uncoupled from the stratosphere and favorable, and we should see blocking increase via wave breaking as we head into mid-December. MJO will progress slowly into the central Pacific and the western IO, which is highly favorable for Feb Ninos. STJ is open for business alongside an equatorward Pacific jet

looks like we could actually see a pretty similar MJO progression to 2010. also made a pass through 4-6 (although weaker) in mid-late Jan before rotting in phases 7-1. hovmollers also show the MJO progressing nicely

want to give it another week to allow this pattern to start getting within 7-10 days on ensembles, but I think we might be in for it. some of the winter cancel crap was silly

1690155870_image(3).png.3baaa99b67c492c53410647020267f72.png1140169528_image(2).thumb.png.4baf6e63bed9a740f7f5a6b8173d6a38.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, brooklynwx99 said:

Judah is failing to realize that what happens up top isn't exactly what happens down here. it's the same as a SSW event that doesn't couple. it seems like the stratosphere is going to do its own thing

gfs_nh-namindex_20240126.png.1666b43e28177b40ef364f48331476e8.png

I really like Judah, but he is a better researcher than a forecaster.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Go Kart Mozart said:

Maps showing storms dropping from Nunavut to ACY are fun to look at, but highly unlikely.  Meanwhile, euro wants to retrograde that big continental block.  That day-10 scenario makes some sense and will have legs....just wait.

Sure it makes sense, but east of us, unless the whole pattern corrects westward.

3 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

They probably have better odds of seeing snow than you do in the coming pattern. 

72-73 was one of the analogs for this winter

Unfortunately I agree with you. Strong and super El Niños are better for the mid atlantic, they suck up here. I’m rooting for a La Niña next year.

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Go Kart Mozart said:

Maps showing storms dropping from Nunavut to ACY are fun to look at, but highly unlikely.  Meanwhile, euro wants to retrograde that big continental block.  That day-10 scenario makes some sense and will have legs....just wait.

This is an interesting post..   I mean, at first it reads, "... Dropping from Nunavut to ACY ... highly unlikely"  ...implying thus it should be dismissible.  

But look out! - some scenario at D10 ( no less ) where it is probably even more preposterous per comparing climate, 30" of snow at Norfolk VA, must somehow have legs. 

I get it - we're dancing around some notion that one way or the other we'll see some reality that is disappointing and seems unfair ... lol  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am not optimistic about this first 10 days of February or so....has SNE bone-job written all over it and the bickering will continue. People like Pope and Omega will be citing the lack of snow posting clown GIFS, while Brooklyn will be posting animated plots of a bowling ball plowing through Halifax and Georgia.

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I am not optimistic about this first 10 days of February or so....has SNE bone-job written all over it and the bickering will continue. People like Pope and Omega will be citing the lack of snow posting clown GIFS, while Brooklyn will be posting animated plots of a bowling ball plowing through Halifax and Georgia.

Brooklyn posting those maps like the band playing on the titanic as it sinks?

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Brooklyn posting those maps like the band playing on the titanic as it sinks?

Nothing against him....the pattern is explosive, high potential and resembles that of a modoki el Nino....but I don't like the overall look for NE snow. He will tell you the same thing....but its the type of pattern that will protract and intensify bickering because it will exacerbate frustration, while leaving each side a pathway to claim "victory" that will be used as a means to compensate for said frustration. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Omega trying to spike footballs if we get a pattern he explicitly said wasn’t going to happen would  be the meme….

IMG_0163.jpeg

• Haha 13