Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 19th Storm OBS Thread

DCAlexandria

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I didn't pay attention to details last few days. Did any model hint at a WAA boom before the vort pass? I thought the goods all came on the pivot. 

yeah most models had a WAA boom prior to the pivot. the bullish models especially (NAM 3K, HRRR). i think it's safe to say that this is overperforming, just surpassed the NWS forecast for me yesterday (2.8") probably with only the front end thump

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EHoffman said:

Just took a little jebwalk up here.  Absolutely puking fluffy dendrites.  Gotta be close to 2" new, piling up very very quickly.  Every road, even recently treated ones, are covered.

I am absolutely ecstatic right now, absolutely happy for you all! Pile it right on up! Enjoy!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I didn't pay attention to details last few days. Did any model hint at a WAA boom before the vort pass? I thought the goods all came on the pivot. 

There were more than a few mets on Twitter (Tomer Burg, Homenuk, etc.) who were saying that the dynamics suggested things could be better than advertised, depending on where things lined up. People on here suggested the same.  But model forecasts took this from a T-2" deal on Wednesday to now maybe 4-6"?  Fun stuff.  

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

Looks like this system worked out for a lot of folks. Really glad to finally see a good OBS thread in this sub for the first time in awhile!

Same system was supposed to give us out here in the middle of the country (SE Missouri) nothing… woke up and there was a surprise inch.

Wind absolutely howling right now at 20+mph pushing the wind chill down to single digits. Only advisory we have though is a wind chill advisory for the next couple days.

Haven’t gotten a big snow here this year unlike last year… but definitely a “deep winter” week and a half with multiple light snow days and subzero wind chills

Congrats to y’all and may this pattern reset again this winter after the coming warmup!

• Like 1

Just now, Eskimo Joe said:

We'll dry slot for a bit it seems. Then we wait for things to fill back in as it pivots. 

Idk. I don't think north of the Potomac stops snowing. South of there prob lull but I'm skeptical of that. Upper level trailer should move lock step with the WAA part. That said, heavy/consistent rates unlikely to continue much longer. Will turn pulsy/bandy in the next few hours 

• Like 3