• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 19, 2024 Powder Snow Event

Wow, snowing heavily now, since about 10:30 am with beautiful dendrites and we've gone from about 1/4" at about 10:15 am to 1.0" on the ground now as of just about 11:00 am, which is > 1" per hour rates over the last 30 minutes or so. I'd have to guess this is 15-20:1 snow to liquid ratios - very fluffy/low bulk density stuff, one could use a broom to clear. If we can somehow keep this up for awhile 2" or more is back in play. 29F still.  For awhile was afraid we might get shut out, now I'm getting greedy for 2-3", but not sure that's in the cards this far NE.  

• Like 1

You can clearly see on radar the IVT backing in from the east and enhancing rates across the more southeast areas. It is trying to enhance things a bit back here in NW Chesco as the snow rate has increased over the last few minutes....but suspect we may be a bit to northwest of the greatest lift so thinking we end up on the low end of the current NWS forecast for here 3" to 7"

• Like 2

Down to light snow here, 28F/DP 24F. Haven't been out to measure yet, but just eyeballing it I'd say at least 2".

Hopefully the models are right about cranking things up again in another hour or two, 4" may be in reach.

22 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Wow, snowing heavily now, since about 10:30 am with beautiful dendrites and we've gone from about 1/4" at about 10:15 am to 1.0" on the ground now as of just about 11:00 am, which is > 1" per hour rates over the last 30 minutes or so. I'd have to guess this is 15-20:1 snow to liquid ratios - very fluffy/low bulk density stuff, one could use a broom to clear. If we can somehow keep this up for awhile 2" or more is back in play. 29F still.  For awhile was afraid we might get shut out, now I'm getting greedy for 2-3", but not sure that's in the cards this far NE.  

As of 11:30 am, up to 1.6", so 1.2" per hour rate the last 30 minutes.  Snow back to light/moderate level, but the radar looks pretty good for the next hour or so, so 2" looks to be a lock.  Amazing how quickly things can change.  

• Like 2

Just got back from a jebwalk with the dog. Intensity picked up by the time I got back. We are up past 2.5". Light to moderate and hanging on the edge via radar. Philly area on s and e look to be cashing in. Radar looks JUICED down there.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Steady snow continues with a slight increase in intensity over the last few minutes. As of 12 noon we are up to 3.0" of snow on the dot here in East Nantmeal.

Temp is up to 27.2. Of note I can see it is also snowing heavily down in Sea Isle City with a temp there of 32.7 degrees - roads are starting to cave down there

55 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

And as of noon, we're at 1.8", so about 0.4" per hour the last 30 min, as intensity has let up with a dry patch, but the radar looks pretty good for at least the next 30 minutes, so we'll get to 2" soon.  Based on the inverted trough being likely to set up well south of here (looks like an impressive blob in the Baltimore-Philly corridor and SE of that line - is that it?), I doubt we'll get beyond 3", but even with light snow much of the day 3" is possible.  Still 29F so everything is accumulating even on the roads.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

And as of noon, we're at 1.8", so about 0.4" per hour the last 30 min, as intensity has let up with a dry patch, but the radar looks pretty good for at least the next 30 minutes, so we'll get to 2" soon.  Based on the inverted trough being likely to set up well south of here (looks like an impressive blob in the Baltimore-Philly corridor and SE of that line - is that it?), I doubt we'll get beyond 3", but even with light snow much of the day 3" is possible.  Still 29F so everything is accumulating even on the roads.  

As of 12:30 pm we hit the 2.0" mark!  Woohoo!  That was 0.4"/hr the last 30 minutes.  Coming down moderately, still with beautiful dendrites.  I've never tried to measure snow ratios before, but I might give it a try, as I think we're probably in the 15:1 or more neighborhood.  Gorgeous.  And the radar still looks pretty good for the next 30 min.  Still 29F.  

• Like 2

Ripping snow down in Manahawkin, radar looks great down here, we only saw a little over an inch with the earlier bands. This is our chance here for accumulations. SE Jersey coast looks to be in good shape. Waiting/hoping that this band pivots into an inverted trough as the low pulls away. Gonna be real interesting to see if that feature ends up setting up or not. 

• Like 4

Still steady light snow in Allentown. We’ve missed all the heavy bands unfortunately. We might get to 2”. Slightly disappointing even though my expectations were not very high. No clue what Mt. Holly was thinking…and their point forecast still says 3-5” for some reason.