• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 19, 2024 Powder Snow Event

I actually made it above freezing today, with a high of 33 (when the sun briefly attempted to show through the clouds), a low of 19, and a dp as low as 5 earlier this morning.  I meant to tell RedSky that I "saw him" in the east around sunrise before it clouded over, so I knew something was on its way. :D

It's currently overcast and 30 with dp 19.

The 19z NBM seems to have the max accumulation right along the I-95 corridor.  I suppose a concern might be if a dry slot appears, which I recall happening with past Norlun setups (with one area under a death band and others with zippo).

floop-19z-nbm-snow-2024011819.snowfall_acc-imp.us_ne-01182024.gif

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I actually made it above freezing today, with a high of 33 (when the sun briefly attempted to show through the clouds), a low of 19, and a dp as low as 5 earlier this morning.  I meant to tell RedSky that I "saw him" in the east around sunrise before it clouded over, so I knew something was on its way. :D

The 19z NBM seems to have the max accumulation right along the I-95 corridor.  I suppose a concern might be if a dry slot appears, which I recall happening with past Norlun setups (with one area under a death band and others with zippo).

Yep. Area of subsidence is to be expected each side of the death band. That's why I loathe these setups. Clearly someone  will be angry at the NWS when they get an inch or so and they 'were told 4-6"'. Wish there were a better way to make the general public wary of these IVT setups. 

• Like 2

The models have given us an idea of what to expect in the areas that get the IVT, 3-5" w 6" lollies. As to where it sets up the models have suggested anywhere from central Jersey/east central PA to Southern jersey/DE/N Maryland. Areas not fortunate enough to get IVT love, 1-3" seems to be uniform.

I don't know how much more we can learn from models at this point. I feel like the radar will be our best(or worst) friend from here on out.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redmorninglight said:

37f with a dew point of 25 here in cape May. Hoping this coastals component over-performs as cold air rushes in tomorrow afternoon. Could get fun.

Hope you get to enjoy it down there.  I'm 69 miles up the parkway from you.   Been some decent coastals, but I'm missing the bombs with snow that we were getting used to.  Enjoy, sir.  

• Weenie 1

3 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I remember a Norlun trough in February of 2009 which setup over Philadelphia and Gloucester/Camden Counties. This sucker dropped up to 10 inches in the City of Philadelphia and up to a foot in Gloucester county. South of West Chester, where I live, only saw 4 inches. I think parts of Lancaster County (Manheim Twp.) got 12 inches in another very narrow band (10 miles  wide).

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JSharp said:

I remember a Norlun trough in February of 2009 which setup over Philadelphia and Gloucester/Camden Counties. This sucker dropped up to 10 inches in the City of Philadelphia and up to a foot in Gloucester county. South of West Chester, where I live, only saw 4 inches. I think parts of Lancaster County (Manheim Twp.) got 12 inches in another very narrow band (10 miles  wide).

Yep got 7" here in Media Delaware County.  Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square 16 miles away got barely 1" and 15 miles north also got 1" the band started in Lancaster and exited the coast just north of ACY.   If I recall the only models that had this was the NAM, RAP, ETA models back then all of them were about to be put on moth balls so no one believed them and went with the global models which showed light snow and flurries quickly ending. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JSharp said:

Is that the one during the Eagles game?

8 minutes ago, JSharp said:

There was something more recent although the band set up just to the north of Philly and Philly (at least IMBY) ended up in a dry slot for an extended period of time hoping for some kind of pivot and/or back-building (that did eventually come).  Forgot what year but I am sure the thread is still here!

1 minute ago, Beagles20 said:

Is that the one during the Eagles game?

Nope. This one was in February, when the  Eagles usually don't play. The storm you are thinking about was the December 2013 event, which dropped 8 inches in South Philly. That was during the Eagles game. That came from an overrunning setup, vastly different from a Norlun trough setup. 

1 minute ago, JSharp said:

Nope. This one was in February, when the  Eagles usually don't play. The storm you are thinking about was the December 2013 event, which dropped 8 inches in South Philly. That was during the Eagles game. That came from an overrunning setup, vastly different from a Norlun trough setup. 

Oh ok.  I remember watching the game kinda ticked off because philly was getting all that snow and we got like 2" or something like that.