• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 19, 2024 Powder Snow Event

10 hours ago, Newman said:

Dad said we got about 3.2" in Fleetwood. Happy for y'all further south towards Philly, its been a long time coming! Made me smile seeing Philly come in with 5"

I’m bit to the south of Fleetwood and was at 3.75 but about 4ish a moderate to heavy band came through lasted about an hour and that added another .25” we’re doin decent in Berks I sit at 11.25” for the season so far

• Like 1

as winter arrived a few days earlier than I thought nearly  a month ago, this will all be history by the end of the week with the normal january thaw as the pattern begins to reload. I will predict that by the end of the week, most of this snow cover will be gone except for the huge snow piles in the parking lots with the barrage of moderate rain events and warmer temps.  Then by the the 30th, another whopper of a rain/snow storm is leading the way to bring cold temps back into our area after Ground hogs day. Snow for the Poconos mix for LV and rain for Philly appears to be the makeup  of that storm event. Anything can happen as there is not enough cold air in place right now in the models. After that the new pattern gets established during the first week in February, by the third week of February there is a real  good chance of a significant winter storm event (maybe a few back to back events )  for the entire region.  This what historically I have seen in a typical scenario of a relaxing El Nino pattern in the last 30 years here. welcome comments but this what I have witnessed

• Weenie 2

I did a double-check earlier this morning to see if any amounts changed after my last 4.25" measurement around 5 pm yesterday, and it didn't, so am going with that.

Just came in from removing the snow from the car and thankfully it is some really powdery stuff.  I saw the winds had started to pick up so figured better get it done now since it's also blowing around, and that would aid getting leftovers off the roof (have a big SUV). 

Currently breezy and sunny, with lots of cumulus, and 21, with dp an arctic 10.

1 hour ago, Albedoman said:

as winter arrived a few days earlier than I thought nearly  a month ago, this will all be history by the end of the week with the normal january thaw as the pattern begins to reload. I will predict that by the end of the week, most of this snow cover will be gone except for the huge snow piles in the parking lots with the barrage of moderate rain events and warmer temps.  Then by the the 30th, another whopper of a rain/snow storm is leading the way to bring cold temps back into our area after Ground hogs day. Snow for the Poconos mix for LV and rain for Philly appears to be the makeup  of that storm event. Anything can happen as there is not enough cold air in place right now in the models. After that the new pattern gets established during the first week in February, by the third week of February there is a real  good chance of a significant winter storm event (maybe a few back to back events )  for the entire region.  This what historically I have seen in a typical scenario of a relaxing El Nino pattern in the last 30 years here. welcome comments but this what I have witnessed

Being in my mid 50’s I can remember back in the 80’s patterns like this where we would have small to medium events 2-4, 4-8 type events and snow on the ground for most of the winter. I have good feeling about mid February thru early March might be good

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Finished shoveling late yesterday, got a nice snowpile together! (Been a couple of years). Let's see if it can survive the upcoming thaw.

20240120_153718.thumb.jpg.1bb38817c0f8192a128ec35f483a5cf0.jpg

OMG it's been a LONG time since we've seen the epic snow pile at your spot! :thumbsup:

As powdery stuff, six on one side says it would go quickly and a dozen on the other says if there is some rain in there with melting and refreezing, the potential for glacier creation would be there to help build a solid foundation. :lol:

So far today (and probably the final) my "high" for the day was 23 at midnight as I got no higher than 22 during the daytime hours.

It's currently partly sunny but with a high cloud deck moving in, and 22 with dp 9.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, penndotguy said:

Being in my mid 50’s I can remember back in the 80’s patterns like this where we would have small to medium events 2-4, 4-8 type events and snow on the ground for most of the winter. I have good feeling about mid February thru early March might be good

I was thinking the same today—this is how I remember winter. Moderate snow events followed by arctic cold.

18 hours ago, penndotguy said:

We had many more 1-2"/3" clippers back then (between larger storms) which at least kept the ground refreshed and white. They are rare these days. Now we can go 3-4 weeks w/o squat which we have now just started...

19F/DP 10F

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

OMG it's been a LONG time since we've seen the epic snow pile at your spot! :thumbsup:

As powdery stuff, six on one side says it would go quickly and a dozen on the other says if there is some rain in there with melting and refreezing, the potential for glacier creation would be there to help build a solid foundation. :lol:

So far today (and probably the final) my "high" for the day was 23 at midnight as I got no higher than 22 during the daytime hours.

It's currently partly sunny but with a high cloud deck moving in, and 22 with dp 9.

Sprinkle a light mist over it so it freezes solid over night maybe prolong it a bit more:lol:

• Haha 1