Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan/Early Feb Medium/Long Range Discussion Part 3

WinterWxLuvr

8 minutes ago, stormy said:

If the GFS 24 hr. trend continues the 12z run will have precipitation up into central Virginia. Surface and 850 temps. would be borderline.

Im less concerned about precip but more about temps......was interested to hear what others thought

5 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

The Feb 4-5 thing seems like a loser.  You get the ULL to trend north enough for a storm to come to us, it's too warm.  If the ULL is too far south, we get missed to the south...by another rainstorm.  Where is the upside again?

Upside is what the CMC showed yesterday. But I think that path is closing.

24 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

LOL, I didn't even know the 12z CMC from yesterday showed anything.  I just took a look.   That looks...complicated. And we know how well we do with that.

Perhaps complicated is all we have left to chase anymore? I don't recall the last simple "moisture over-running cold air in place" giving us an easy area-wide 6" - 10" scenario. Maybe Jan. 22 was that for a lot of you, but not us up north of 695. We haven't had a classic "simple" over-running event of note in quite awhile. 

1 minute ago, Weather Will said:

JB is now talking about a delay while the MJO goes through 7.  Still thinks we get there but after the 10th now.

lol I brought this up like 2 weeks ago, he just never admits anything until there is no possible way to avoid it anymore. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

lol I brought this up like 2 weeks ago, he just never admits anything until there is no possible way to avoid it anymore. 

the winter is pretty much boiling down to can we get one great storm and one more decent ones. Still think we that can happen but one of those storms need to happen before Feb 20

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, Ji said:

the winter is pretty much boiling down to can we get one great storm and one more decent ones. Still think we that can happen but one of those storms need to happen before Feb 20

If we get to Feb 10 and we aren't tracking a high level threat it's time to hit the panic button 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

If we get to Feb 10 and we aren't tracking a high level threat it's time to hit the panic button 

Same page.

It ain't over till it's over, but the fat lady is starting to warm up her vocal chords... is where my head's at now.

I'm glad I milked the wintry week by taking pics, videos, going sledding with the little one (despite being sick at the time). I have a bunch of reels I could re-watch all year.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Same page.

It ain't over till it's over, but the fat lady is starting to warm up her vocal chords... is where my head's at now.

I'm glad I milked the wintry week by taking pics, videos, going sledding with the little one (despite being sick at the time). I have a bunch of reels I could re-watch all year.

06105DDA-0AF1-4F97-97C3-88C19F6DD8FE.jpeg.2087cff06fcfc8525a70853d51f13aad.jpeg

Just now, brooklynwx99 said:

we went from potentially insane torrid stretch to panic in like three days? everything is still on track for the second half of the month into early March

Tbf I don't think most of us are panicking outright. We're just starting to see what's really under the hood (using Bob Chill's words) behind the smoothed H5 means. A week ago, or even a few days ago, it was looking like the fun would begin around Feb 10. Now we're looking at Feb 14-15, and the window of opportunity is starting to get narrower. The clock is starting to run out on us, is what we cannot deny. Sure, we could go on a 2-week heater between Feb 20 and March 5 and beat climo by a large margin - that can still happen, and I WANT it to happen. But again, I wouldn't be surprised if that window gets narrower and narrower with time and we score only one moderate event until the next wave of warmth, by which time it's over or nearly over.

• Like 3

Just now, Terpeast said:

Tbf I don't think most of us are panicking outright. We're just starting to see what's really under the hood (using Bob Chill's words) behind the smoothed H5 means. A week ago, or even a few days ago, it was looking like the fun would begin around Feb 10. Now we're looking at Feb 14-15, and the window of opportunity is starting to get narrower. The clock is starting to run out on us, is what we cannot deny. Sure, we could go on a 2-week heater between Feb 20 and March 5 and beat climo by a large margin - that can still happen, and I WANT it to happen. But again, I wouldn't be surprised if that window gets narrower and narrower with time and we score only one moderate event until the next wave of warmth, by which time it's over or nearly over.

I think it was always sorta between the 10-15th and it got narrowed down closer to the 15th. I also think people underestimate how much can happen in three weeks. most prolific periods, when they do happen, don't actually last for that long

• Like 2
  • Weenie 2

2 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

it would also be different if you were in NE or even NYC. some of you can reach or even break climo in one storm

Yeah, I still think we have a shot at beating climo and all it takes is one storm. 

NYC & north are SOL at this point, though.

• Like 1

Just now, Terpeast said:

Yeah, I still think we have a shot at beating climo and all it takes is one storm. 

ehhhh NYC has pulled comebacks like that before. we've had periods where we've gotten 30" in 3-4 weeks. north into CT? really hard sell

• Weenie 1

9 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

We could probably trip into "beating" climo (climo being a median of 15 inches here) with a couple advisory events. But as far as beating the average? If this isn't a KU pattern, how are we gonna do that in one storm? 

Now I need clarity on the hecs, mecs and becs terminology...how many inches are associated with each category? Lol

28 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

we went from potentially insane torrid stretch to getting ready to panic in like three days? everything is still on track for the second half of the month into early March

There's 2 separate schools of positive winter thoughts/discussion happenin and it can be hard to filter lol.

I think most everyone agrees that getting no more snowfall is far less likely than getting 1 (or dare I say 2) additional accumulating snowfalls. More is always better lol but I don't see how we don't add to our totals without a complete reversal of how we currently see late Feb followed by a shitblinds March. Nobody is canceling that except for the notorious Schleprocks we have around here goin' all wowzee wowzee woo woo (wah wah lol). 

Where things are degrading is big storm optimism. We know our yards real well here. Uphill climo starts in earnest around the 3rd week of Feb and then big anomalous patterns are required in March. Doesn't mean we can't or won't get shellacked but history has a lot of arguments about a big finish once we cross into that 3rd week. 

The ironic thing this year is that even if we were to get a single 12" storm in late Feb, the winter appeal of our Jan magic week will put it to shame. Lol. Kids were sledding packed powder for 7 straight days with full coverage. South slopes took forever to go brown. 12" on Feb 23rd? Man, you better have your camera ready and take first run on the sledding hill cuz that appeal will last 48 hours tops and will likely be potatoes within 24

• Like 2