• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan/Early Feb Medium/Long Range Discussion Part 3

WinterWxLuvr

Even if the storm around the 5th is too far south/offshore, as it strengthens and moves NE, it reinforces the 50-50 low and the increasing h5 heights in the NAO space- could set us up for the next wave ejecting eastward around the 10th.

1707566400-tGcs3ynW9kM.png

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Even if the storm around the 5th is too far south/offshore, as it strengthens and moves NE, it reinforces the 50-50 low and the increasing h5 heights in the NAO space- could set us up for the next wave ejecting eastward around the 10th.

1707566400-tGcs3ynW9kM.png

we’re seeing it now. STJ is wide open and the Aleutian low is in a perfect spot. N ATL trough is stable

IMG_4446.thumb.png.c807c1560539ca3a018457a04f3b9d12.png

• Like 10

50/50 low and N. Pacific low as the two dominant N. Hemisphere features.. that's what it looks like in the big snowstorm examples. Let's see if the model holds those features as we get closer, like inside 12 days.. I say that because it's been so warm lately, and model flux has been above average this year. 

13 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Or you could crack it open after a Raven's victory over the Mahomeboy-Swifties on Sunday.

Neither one are my team, but I am pulling for the Ravens.  My son is a Lions fan, my friend is a Ravens fan.  We're gonna be at my pad on Sunday watching both games.  I hope its the Ravens vs Lions in the SB

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, anotherman said:

Suddenly that bleep head is all over it.  But seriously, I've mostly just ignored it all year, someone just posted an example of this today with BAMWX, but its become a "thing" for all these competing hypster accounts to pick a fight with each other over some inane timing difference, often intentionally being obtuse about it.  Like with BAM, they go nuts about "everyone calling for cold" then cite the warmth this week, then say yea but it will get cold later in Feb, which is what everyone is saying.  But they are relying on their loyal audience not knowing that and thinking they are owning everyone else.  Its dishonest, annoying, and a clown show.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

29 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Suddenly that bleep head is all over it.  But seriously, I've mostly just ignored it all year, someone just posted an example of this today with BAMWX, but its become a "thing" for all these competing hypster accounts to pick a fight with each other over some inane timing difference, often intentionally being obtuse about it.  Like with BAM, they go nuts about "everyone calling for cold" then cite the warmth this week, then say yea but it will get cold later in Feb, which is what everyone is saying.  But they are relying on their loyal audience not knowing that and thinking they are owning everyone else.  Its dishonest, annoying, and a clown show.  

Webb called me a biased weenie for using 2010 as an analog a couple months ago on another platform. i’ve been on it (as have other) since the summer. he assumed that i thought that the Nino was Modoki… i just said it could act like it at times, which seems to be true in Feb, given the warm WPAC and low MEI. he said that i picked it because it was one of the snowiest winters in the NE and MA and not much else

and now he’s using it for MJO progression on twitter. you just have to laugh, no?

• Like 9
  • Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

Webb called me a biased weenie for using 2010 as an analog a couple months ago on another platform. i’ve been on it (as have other) since the summer. he assumed that i thought that the Nino was Modoki… i just said it could act like it at times, which seems to be true in Feb, given the warm WPAC and low MEI. he said that i picked it because it was one of the snowiest winters in the NE and MA and not much else

and now he’s using it for MJO progression on twitter. you just have to laugh, no?

He’s got zero credibility at this point. Just like JB always calling for cold, and warminstas cherry-picking torch patterns.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

14 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

Yea I mentally logged all his antics.  2010 was high on my analogs.  I never understood his obsession with "east based nino" this year.  First of all, I absolutely hate these semantic arguments.  This is a spectrum.  There is no hard divide where something goes from "east based" to "basin wide" to "modoki".  But IMO this year is most definitely NOT east based.  It's a basin wide.  1998 and 2007 were east based.  This year has the same profile as 2016 and 2010 only it's in between the intensities of those other 2.  

And for me, IMO, the difference between basin wide and modoki is minor.  The important thing is we do not want a true east based nino where the warm water is all banked up against south american and cools dramatically by the central pacific.  That places the forcing too far east.  But if you look at the anamaly locations of 2010 and this year they are nearly identical, this year is just stronger.  There are trade offs, a true modoki is likely to have the Pacific low set up further west which can be ideal if there is no blocking...but it also can set up so far west it mutes the STJ influence and if you end up with blocking that can be less than ideal.  There is also a correlation between the pacific low being tucked against AK and blocking so frankly so long as its not a super east based nino I'm fine.  I don't engage in this ridiculous "is it or isnt it modoki" nonsense because the data says it doesn't even really matter.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Yea I mentally logged all his antics.  2010 was high on my analogs.  I never understood his obsession with "east based nino" this year.  First of all, I absolutely hate these semantic arguments.  This is a spectrum.  There is no hard divide where something goes from "east based" to "basin wide" to "modoki".  But IMO this year is most definitely NOT east based.  It's a basin wide.  1998 and 2007 were east based.  This year has the same profile as 2016 and 2010 only it's in between the intensities of those other 2.  

And for me, IMO, the difference between basin wide and modoki is minor.  The important thing is we do not want a true east based nino where the warm water is all banked up against south american and cools dramatically by the central pacific.  That places the forcing too far east.  But if you look at the anamaly locations of 2010 and this year they are nearly identical, this year is just stronger.  There are trade offs, a true modoki is likely to have the Pacific low set up further west which can be ideal if there is no blocking...but it also can set up so far west it mutes the STJ influence and if you end up with blocking that can be less than ideal.  There is also a correlation between the pacific low being tucked against AK and blocking so frankly so long as its not a super east based nino I'm fine.  I don't engage in this ridiculous "is it or isnt it modoki" nonsense because the data says it doesn't even really matter.  

i mean, you tell me… here’s the projected pattern for Feb compared to strong/super Ninos and weak/moderate Ninos. you tell me

IMG_4450.png.a3a364938ef0820db450301d448919dc.pngIMG_4451.png.0fe1fa0524057fc65da98031ccc16784.pngIMG_4438.thumb.png.5144d6b02e295502902d9e388c4ee094.png

• Like 7

5 hours ago, BlizzardNole said:

We sure are overdue!  Epic dumps (some did not hit the whole region):  1979, 1983, 1987, 1993, 1996, 2000, 2003, 2010 (2), 2016 -- every 4th to 5th winter on average with the longest stretches being 7 and 6 years.  Now we are at 8 years...

Yes and throw in a couple normal snow but very cold and it’s more often. We forget the biggies and the 10 day or longer sieges. But they happen  Not every 10 years only either. 

The law of averages tends to be that so yes we are overdue to fulfill it 

Euro 240....hmmmmm.  Not bad..could be better

Fun days ahead with this omega block. Gonna see all sorts of wild runs. We have to see how strong the “shredder” ends up being.

Congrats DT, Jesus Christ 2-3’ in VA it’s still snowing at the end of the run

f0b0514526c8b3db0b75f2befe6aa9ce.jpg

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Heisy said:

Fun days ahead with this omega block. Gonna see all sorts of wild runs. We have to see how strong the “shredder” ends up being.

Congrats DT, Jesus Christ 2-3’ in VA it’s still snowing at the end of the run

f0b0514526c8b3db0b75f2befe6aa9ce.jpg

He better enjoy for the nextt 12 hours, because it's gonna be gone at 12z

• Like 2
  • Haha 4