Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan/Early Feb Medium/Long Range Discussion Part 3

WinterWxLuvr

48 minutes ago, Ji said:

oh geez.....maybe it wont be as bad as it seems. Winters after a moderate to strong El Nino have not been awful for the most part

The last two nina's following a strong nino were awful so I dunno, I expect next year to be pretty bad.  

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The last two nina's following a strong nino were awful so I dunno, I expect next year to be pretty bad.  

Agreed. That map Ji posted looks like 2022-23. I wasn’t joking about planning a trip out west. 

7 minutes ago, AtlanticWx said:

i would say 2010-11 was pretty good. we got a pretty crazy snowstorm rates wise in january

Yeah, and that storm was so close to being even better. Just slightly too warm at the start. Places northeast of us did much better.

10 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Agreed. That map Ji posted looks like 2022-23. I wasn’t joking about planning a trip out west. 

No way to know the exact character of the ENSO event or how the winter will play out. Get a few weeks where the Aleutian ridge morphs into a -EPO and we might have a January 2022 type period.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fozz said:

DCA is not representative of this region and should not be used to generalize the winter climo of the whole area. It has good data but it’s a very warm spot at zero elevation on a river in the center of a heat island.

it's representative of the million people who live in DC/Arlington/Alexandria, with some minor variation.  It's not supposed to represent some way out suburb.  We had these same arguments in the NYC forum where folks in like way out NW NJ were pissed at Central Park's climate record/obs/whatever.  Well ok, it's the climate site for NYC not your random suburb.  Sorry.

3 hours ago, stormtracker said:

DCA is the be all end all, not up for discussion.

I hate where I live. :(

hey man it's not so bad - you don't need a car here, we have great restaurants, and the civic institutions are unparalleled.  Yeah, it's weak on the snow front.

17 minutes ago, AtlanticWx said:

i would say 2010-11 was pretty good. we got a pretty crazy snowstorm rates wise in january

then 95-96 after 94-95.....2003-04 after 2002-03.... 73-74 wasnt awful.....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pazzo83 said:

it's representative of the million people who live in DC/Arlington/Alexandria, with some minor variation.  It's not supposed to represent some way out suburb.  We had these same arguments in the NYC forum where folks in like way out NW NJ were pissed at Central Park's climate record/obs/whatever.  Well ok, it's the climate site for NYC not your random suburb.  Sorry.

Yes it is representative of most people who live inside the beltway, though even there DCA seems to be on the lower end of the range.

But that’s very different from representing the entire DC/Baltimore metro area. Especially when even people east of the fall line say that it doesn’t reflect their winter climate.

• Like 1

The main issue with DCA is being right on the river - but that can keep it a degree or two cooler than the rest of the city just as much as it might keep it warmer.  The optimal site is probably like the White House or some place in Dupont/Columbia Heights.

hey man it's not so bad - you don't need a car here, we have great restaurants, and the civic institutions are unparalleled.  Yeah, it's weak on the snow front.

I think I’m doing DC wrong. Maybe it’s cause I grew up in Arlington, but I’m counting down the days til it makes sense for me to move back into Arlington

Anyway the euro is out to hour 60. Looks like rain

1 minute ago, Fozz said:

Yes it is representative of most people who live inside the beltway, though even there DCA seems to be on the lower end of the range.

But that’s very different from representing the entire DC/Baltimore metro area. Especially when even people east of the fall line say that it doesn’t reflect their winter climate.

Well I mean you shouldn't use it for that.  Would we use Central Park to describe the climate of someone living in Orange County NY or something?  No - it's the climate site for the city.  But since these sites tend to have the longest/most uninterrupted/verified climate record, they are the ones mot often cited.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fozz said:

How did 2016-17 end up so atrocious?

I chased an early Jan beach blizzard at Rehoboth in 2017. Got 5-6" in my yard from that storm, and there was a couple other smaller events. Wasn't awful, at least over here.

• Like 1

This looks really good... This is my "perfect pattern" for cold, with a +PNA. All 3 features are there, I like the way it's building a High pressure in the southern NAO region on the ensemble mean. Let's see if it holds going forward. 

https://ibb.co/vxr6JJq

That northern AK +anomaly really correlates with cold at like 0.5, and doesn't depress precip. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Need to confirm with @Stormchaserchuck1....because we just can't know.

I know that since I moved north of Baltimore, it has snowed 12/22 April's here. I don't think March patterns have been great.. and I would bet against a cold March this year with negative anomalies building in the ENSO subsurface, but the +pna really picked up this Winter when we went negative in the subsurface (counter-intuitive) so we'll see how it evolves. 

Yeah the Euro - as depicted - would probably be almost 12 hours of White Rain in the city, changing from a rain snow mix around 9pm then continuing into the morning with zero accumulation. Probably over 0.3" of QPF in and around the city with a bit more NW of the city where maybe rates overcome 34F at the surface. I'd take this as a best case! And I'd wager about 2" on my elevated (20 feet high) metal deck!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

all you chief - I’ll start the second thread that’ll bring the storm back from the brink… if it’s not already there

That would work for me. I just was hoping someone else would start it.