Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan/Early Feb Medium/Long Range Discussion Part 3

WinterWxLuvr

15 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

pretty large 00z -> 12z shift from the EURO. 

12z

1706562000-jnIvkr5FQUs.png

00z

1706562000-39VMxk2pXJ0.png

There are some pretty significant differences at h5. Results in a much stronger low closer to the coast on the 12z run. Can't see that stuff on a snow clown map. B)

1706518800-Vm72YvWMDks.png

• Like 6

The changes over the past 48 hours in the euro have been pretty large. It’s now in the place the gfs was then. The gfs which changed quite a bit in sending this system into the Ohio valley hopefully will return to its roots. I just feel we are so close to an event that might produce for at least some areas of the forum.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Seems like the same issue we've had outside of basically the last week. It's just not cold enough.

Not sure this fits under the same category. This would be a marginal setup in any decade (except maybe the snowin' 60s, lol). But the fact that some parts of the forum maybe able to squeeze something out of this is encouraging, imo

18 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

The changes over the past 48 hours in the euro have been pretty large. It’s now in the place the gfs was then. The gfs which changed quite a bit in sending this system into the Ohio valley hopefully will return to its roots. I just feel we are so close to an event that might produce for at least some areas of the forum.

Similar to the GFS, it would need to come together a little faster and further south for our region. The general setup has looked interesting even at range. Lack of cold air has been the big issue. HP is in a nice spot- important with a marginal airmass. Verbatim the Euro is a paste bomb and it mostly works because of the quickly strengthening low close to the coast. Places that get snow would be rain initially then flip to heavy wet snow with column cooling.

1706508000-OjmVFabt9A4.png

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Agreed. I think E PA / N NJ wins this one. Not sure about NYC metro. High elevs in our sub may get a little bit, too

Most likely. All 3 ens means at 12z have a strong signal for snow across PA and into SNE. EPS is the most robust now with what the 12z op did, and would get some snow into far N MD.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Similar to the GFS, it would need to come together a little faster and further south for our region. The general setup has looked interesting even at range. Lack of cold air has been the big issue. HP is in a nice spot- important with a marginal airmass. Verbatim the Euro is a paste bomb and it mostly works because of the quickly strengthening low close to the coast. Places that get snow would be rain initially then flip to heavy wet snow with column cooling.

1706508000-OjmVFabt9A4.png

What I noticed on the 12 Z run was the euro was indeed slower. I’m not certain of how much further south it might’ve been. But if this thing does trend just a little bit slower and a little bit further south, we could be looking at a significant event for at least part of our region 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, winter_warlock said:

Still 5 to 6 days out.  Last 2 storms werent nailed down till within 24 hours lol  and even then it had to ve tweaked the last minute..   it will change a few more times

True, but we had the cold air. This time we don't.

• Like 1

EPS Control was a weenie run for having the chance to track stuff during a "dead" period.

The storm that favors NE of us on Sun/Mon swipes PSU-land

Back-to-back clippers swing in from Canada on Wednesday and Thursday leaving a general T-3" regionwide 

Reasonable sized storm for CVA the following Wednesday

1707307200-23QEpaVjLIM.png

would be a very solid 10-day period starting this Sunday

• Like 18

22 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

EPS Control was a weenie run for having the chance to track stuff during a "dead" period.

The storm that favors NE of us on Sun/Mon swipes PSU-land

Back-to-back clippers swing in from Canada on Wednesday and Thursday leaving a general T-3" regionwide 

Reasonable sized storm for CVA the following Wednesday

1707307200-23QEpaVjLIM.png

would be a very solid 10-day period starting this Sunday

Nice... and this is entirely before the "good" pattern starting Feb 8-12ish??

• Like 6

Nice... and this is entirely before the "good" pattern starting Feb 8-12ish??

We’re a long way out, but Feb 8-10 has a threat in it similarly to how the control did it. Split flow the STJ is going to undercut the central conus/Canada ridge. 12z GFS had a similar evolution a few days later. We can def score in this type of pattern. Would be a great sign if we do!

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Heisy said:

We’re a long way out, but Feb 8-10 has a threat in it similarly to how the control did it. Split flow the STJ is going to undercut the central conus/Canada ridge. 12z GFS had a similar evolution a few days later. We can def score in this type of pattern. Would be a great sign if we do!

and to think people are punting the rest of the winter. fucking insane

gotta suck to be that jaded

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9
  • Weenie 1

I mean the weeklies are about as perfect as you could ask for lol. It starts with the split flow pattern we see at the end of the 12z eps today and it’s literally deep winter thru the end of the run. Pretty sick. Really hope it’s even close to right we’ll end the season above average if so no doubt

• Like 11

20 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

seems like mid-Feb into early March could be very, very fun. not even a single tick backwards, keeps moving forward in time

ezgif-5-a4bbf9ae7a.thumb.gif.756e78a7fefac5a520999be6764ad912.gif

I’m pretty sure it’s coming. My only concern is despite a height pattern that says the snow axis should be centered south of 40* the ens mean continues to have the snow focused pretty far north.  Today’s euro control is another good example also. Look at the 30 day mean h5 and you think “omg Raleigh to DC must be getting smoked” but then look at the snow and it’s mostly all NW of DC centered central PA up into New England again. This isn’t a one run fluke it’s been consistent every run lately. 

@Terpeast curious your take. Usually I disregard snow output at range completely but given everything lately and how much we have riding on this upcoming pattern I’ll be honest it has me at least mildly perplexed. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Heisy said:

I mean the weeklies are about as perfect as you could ask for lol. It starts with the split flow pattern we see at the end of the 12z eps today and it’s literally deep winter thru the end of the run. Pretty sick. Really hope it’s even close to right we’ll end the season above average if so no doubt

Yep looks great! One thing i'd like to see is the good look at the end of the ensembles. They keep kicking it a day forward.....but i'll be patient!

Here's yesterday's 12z EPS:

sYlcSAT.png

VS today 12z EPS:

HXTYOl7.png

Looking forward to seeing the blue connect with the blue!!!

17 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

and to think people are punting the rest of the winter. fucking insane

gotta suck to be that jaded

Some punted end of  Dec.  Most here are sincere but for a few this is their myopic, emotional deformities dumping ground. It’s chilling to think what that attitude does to those they have dominion over. 

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I’m pretty sure it’s coming. My only concern is despite a height pattern that says the snow axis should be centered south of 40* the ens mean continues to have the snow focused pretty far north.  Today’s euro control is another good example also. Look at the 30 day mean h5 and you think “omg Raleigh to DC must be getting smoked” but then look at the snow and it’s mostly all NW of DC centered central PA up into New England again. This isn’t a one run fluke it’s been consistent every run lately. 

@Terpeast curious your take. Usually I disregard snow output at range completely but given everything lately and how much we have riding on this upcoming pattern I’ll be honest it has me at least mildly perplexed. 

H5 looks great. Near perfect. But what matters is what we have at the surface. How cold does it get, not just when it's dry, but when it's precipitating. Do we get a good high to the north when we get an incoming wave? Where does the r/s line lie? Those details obviously can't be resolved this far out, and I'd be highly skeptical of snow maps at 3 weeks out. Take last week for example - 3 weeks or even 1 week prior, snow maps barely showed an inch and we ended up getting ~10 in one week! I don't remember seeing a snow map like that on the weeklies that far out. If anything, they were further north across PA into SNE, even up until 2 days before the second wave, and then it dunked south at the last possible minute.

• Like 7