Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan/Early Feb Medium/Long Range Discussion Part 3

WinterWxLuvr

3 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

it seems like the crap Pacific is due to a +EAMT that is supercharging the Pacific jet for a bit… this is similar to December, but it shouldn’t be as bad given a colder source region and lingering AN heights into AK and Siberia 

once the effects of the +EAMT wear off and the Pacific jet retracts (which, again, it likely will), we should see a more favorable pattern develop mid month, similar to what happened in Jan

Ain't gonna lie...don't like the idea of throwing away three weeks of prime climo. Waiting until mid Feb basically gives us one shot at getting a big one. (Prime climo starts to decline after PD). Hope we can sneak in something else before mid Feb...

What we have now is AWESOME--however, by itself it won't help us to get above average, I don't think. And that's the bar for this winter imo, given the uncertainty after this year.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

Ain't gonna lie...don't like the idea of throwing away three weeks of prime climo. Waiting until mid Feb basically gives us one shot at getting a big one. (Prime climo starts to decline after PD). Hope we can sneak in something else before mid Feb...

What we have now is AWESOME--however, by itself it won't help us to get above average, I don't think. And that's the bar for this winter imo, given the uncertainty after this year.

Getting 2 over-performers this week is making me pretty optimistic for the rest of winter.  El Niño winters tend to be Jan to March, from what I've learned from the experts around here. The models are also not doing well in the long-range.  They will likely show something completely different next week. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

it is what it is though. this winter was always going to come down to one or two big storms. i’m also pretty sure that some in the MA are also AN to date after today. they have to be 

16 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

it is what it is though. this winter was always going to come down to one or two big storms. i’m also pretty sure that some in the MA are also AN to date after today. they have to be 

Not quite, but a solid step in that direction. Median for my part of the sub (BWI) is 15 inches; average around 18". This week could get us to 8-10" depending on today.

34 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

They are, but if they go the next couple weeks with no snow they will be back to below again lol  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DDweatherman said:

Yep I'm at 15" and counting for the season. Ahead of average, but 3 weeks of prime average adding will put me behind (27" seasonal avg)

I'm in the same boat.  Ill probably be SLIGHTLY above climo for this date by the end of today...but by the time we get to our next window of opportunity, if the next 2-3 weeks go the way I currently think, I will be WAY behind again.  

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

They are, but if they go the next couple weeks with no snow they will be back to below again lol  

For most of the MA if they go this far into winter with a large enough deficit they almost never make it up throughout the rest of the season. DCA could very well be more than halfway to climo after today, a repeat of this week but in mid-Feb would be sufficient to get to AN for the season.

Well, now we have a choice: We can either spend the day dreading what losing 2-3 weeks may do, or enjoy what's falling right now. Dreading would be easy to fall into (very easy), but I'm gonna try my darndest to practice gratitude and appreciate this. Besides, we don't know if we get more or not...may as well lean all the way into this!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Well, now we have a choice: We can either spend the day dreading what losing 2-3 weeks may do, or enjoy what's falling right now. Dreading would be easy to fall into (very easy), but I'm gonna try my darndest to practice gratitude and appreciate this. Besides, we don't know if we get more or not...may as well lean all the way into this!

Plus there's still the part of February after the pattern changes back to a favorable one.

• Like 1

February was never suppose to be this horrible
  • Like 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, Ji said:

February was never suppose to be this horrible

I get the disappointment with the upcoming look (I am too). But all the same: Dread tomorrow or enjoy today...for me I'm gonna try and enjoy today. Snow is more precious these days...so why not enjoy it while it's here?

I get the disappointment with the upcoming look (I am too). But all the same: Dread tomorrow or enjoy today...for me I'm gonna try and enjoy today. Snow is more precious these days...so why not enjoy it while it's here?

I’m going to dread today and tomorrow. I love digital snow more than real snow though I love both
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, AlexD1990 said:

I get what you're driving at, but I also don't see a high pressure in Quebec?

I know @psuhoffman is kind of being a bit humorous and tongue-in-cheek with the "perfect track rainstorm" look.  But really, the pattern and flow at that time is horrible.  It's not like it's a marginal or halfway decent look yet we're still getting screwed, where previous years we'd have fared better.  We wouldn't far well in ANY year with that pattern, I believe.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I know @psuhoffman is kind of being a bit humorous and tongue-in-cheek with the "perfect track rainstorm" look.  But really, the pattern and flow at that time is horrible.  It's not like it's a marginal or halfway decent look yet we're still getting screwed, where previous years we'd have fared better.  We wouldn't far well in ANY year with that pattern, I believe.

The way I figure it, if the elephant really is affecting seasonal snow, than we might as well enjoy what happens now. Who knows by the time I'm an old man people may ask what snow was like lol

17 minutes ago, Scarlet Pimpernel said:

It's just a troll job.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, mattie g said:

It's just a troll job.

I know, I know...but it's just not funny especially coming from someone who is well respected and knowledgeable (and I very much respect PSU's input and knowledge, don't get me wrong!).  We get enough "regular" non-trolling whining and complaining in here as it is, why add to it?

17 minutes ago, paulythegun said:

GEFS extended (which I assume just reverts to el nino analogs after two weeks out, but that's an uninformed cynical guess) looks good in early to mid february. 

wzq111q.png

R0bF59s.png

The pattern should get good again, just in time for me to return from Seattle on the 10th.  

2 hours ago, brooklynwx99 said:

it seems like the crap Pacific is due to a +EAMT that is supercharging the Pacific jet for a bit… this is similar to December, but it shouldn’t be as bad given a colder source region and lingering AN heights into AK and Siberia 

once the effects of the +EAMT wear off and the Pacific jet retracts (which, again, it likely will), we should see a more favorable pattern develop mid month, similar to what happened in Jan

Have you found that Mountain Torque actually does that though? I once calculated all the +EAMT events and found no strong correlation to the current and future pattern. Pressure over the Himalaya's was easy to read/record too, on the satellite data going back to 1948.  They said that it correlates to 10mb warming, but I even got a weak signal there too.