Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 18-19 Storm Threat: Bob Chill made me do it

stormtracker

Updated LWX AFD:

.LONG TERM /FRIDAY THROUGH TUESDAY/...
Renewed chances for snow Friday with another blast of cold air for the weekend. 

Another upper level trough of low pressure and its associated strong cold front look to pass through the area late Thursday night into much of Friday. This storm system looks to bring another round of wintry weather to the region. Current 12z ensemble/deterministic guidance shows a slightly stronger wave of low pressure compared to what we saw today. Temperatures will be slightly colder at the onset and even during the duration of this event compared to earlier in the week. Both the 12z GFS and ECMWF illustrate a low pressure system ejecting from the central Appalachians northeast toward the Virginia Tidewater and coastal Carolinas. The 12Z ECWMF is a bit stronger and features a bit more forcing/QPF compared to the GFS and GEM counterparts. 

With the low off to the south more cold air is readily available for a predominantly snow event for most locations. Some rain and perhaps freezing rain/sleet may mix in along and east of I-95 where warmer air could push in. As for accumulations, they should remain light, but will be highly dependent upon the track of the low 
pressure, moisture availability, and timing of precipitation (with the bulk falling potentially during the daylight hours). Confidence has increased somewhat per the 12z guidance, for a minor impact event, but will need to be further evaluated as we are 3 days out. Highs Friday look to remain below average with temperatures in 
the upper 20s and low 30s.  

Behind the strong front and wave of low pressure comes another blast of Arctic air Friday night into Saturday. Lows Friday night will fall back into the single digits and teens with gusty northwesterly winds pushing wind chills into the single digits. By Saturday, low pressure will continue off the New England coast 
with northwesterly flow aiding in upslope snow over the Allegheny Front. Additional accumulations are expected in these locations with cold and windy conditions east of the mountains as strong high pressure returns to the region. Deepening low to the northeast and high pressure building into the Plains will feature a strong pressure gradient especially across the mountains. Will likely see gusty northwest winds Saturday and Sunday morning, which will bring continued feel like numbers in the teens and single digits. Below zero wind chills are likely over the mountains during this time. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

I could see this maxing out at a 6" - 9" event. 

Gah damn, I like this EJ.

to be fair, people who said Eskimo Joe was a deb need to understand, there hadn’t been a 1” snow at DCA in 722 days, debbing makes sense and is what we’ve had to deal with. 

he calls it like he sees it

4 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

I could see this maxing out at a 6" - 9" event. 

I ask because I remember @brooklynwx99 and I think @CAPE noting hiw this period (at least 7 days ago) had all the keys pieces for a KU except the STJ wave. I see there are hints now that the TPV wants to try and phase it. My inner weenie was wondering if some sort of upside surprise is completely off the table? I would assume guidance would have thrown us a bone already given this is under 66hrs now.

11 minutes ago, csnavywx said:

Little bit of 850-700mb frontogenesis showing up on the EC (matches some of the high-res runs) between 00-09z Fri. Might be a sneaky narrow band that sets up ahead of the main event if it can top-down saturate enough.

Get me just north of a nice east-west oriented 850-700 fronto band for a few hours. Oh yea.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Is that Paul Bearer before he was Paul Bearer? Lol

No. That's definitely Attitude Era, you can see the signs. So that was probably when he was with Kane. Around 1998. Before he was Paul Bearer, he was Percy Pringle in various promotions in the southeast. Interestingly enough, the real life Paul Bearer is William Moody and he was in fact, a mortician.

5 minutes ago, primetime said:

No. That's definitely Attitude Era, you can see the signs. So that was probably when he was with Kane. Around 1998. Before he was Paul Bearer, he was Percy Pringle in various promotions in the southeast. Interestingly enough, the real life Paul Bearer is William Moody and he was in fact, a mortician.

Yeah I put I'm the Banter thread that I saw that he was Paul Bearer, the Kringle, the Paul Bearer again, lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Get me just north of a nice east-west oriented 850-700 fronto band for a few hours. Oh yea.

Absolutely. I've had a lot of overperformers pull this little trick and end up extending the duration of snowfall via earlier start times, especially when the lift is near/in the DGZ. Sharper trough would help that along.

• Like 8

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic