• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow Friday 1/19/24: is it a period of light snow (less than 2"), or is there a chance of a 5" swath in part of the NYC subforum? Event OBS.

wdrag

3 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

I think they are being generous even saying 3 inches for this. 3 inches is the absolute ceiling for this in our area and if it does happen, I think it’s closer to central NJ. Definitely not widespread here. All of the good lifting and surface convergence is south of us with the inverted trough and the good upper dynamics/diffluence with the jet streak and upper low is also south of here. I believe we are going to have bigger dry air and subsidence issues than people are thinking right now, especially given we are north of the IVT, that is going to probably eat up a decent amount of QPF and it may be a virga fest for awhile at the start

Yup. Crazy dc is having a better winter lol we can’t catch a break 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

I think 2-3 is a good forecast for nyc. I don’t understand the negativity this morning 

Because some like to whine. Others like to be overly pessimistic so when they get 2” instead of 1” they get excited. And others just need to keep typing the same shit over and over to show theyre right in some weird mommy and daddy issue from their childhood. 

but i got a B+ in psych 102 so maybe im way off.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

5 minutes ago, nycsnow said:

Cause a week that had such potential is basically turn into a cold non event  week 

Tomorrow still hasn’t happened…

and we have timed two winter events inside the coldest week of the winter. 

35 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

I think they are being generous even saying 3 inches for this. 3 inches is the absolute ceiling for this in our area and if it does happen, I think it’s closer to central NJ. Definitely not widespread here. All of the good lifting and surface convergence is south of us with the inverted trough and the good upper dynamics/diffluence with the jet streak and upper low is also south of here. I believe we are going to have bigger dry air and subsidence issues than people are thinking right now, especially given we are north of the IVT, that is going to probably eat up a decent amount of QPF and it may be a virga fest for awhile at the start

6 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Because some like to whine. Others like to be overly pessimistic so when they get 2” instead of 1” they get excited. And others just need to keep typing the same shit over and over to show theyre right in some weird mommy and daddy issue from their childhood. 

but i got a B+ in psych 102 so maybe im way off.

Haha. How many ways can you say you don’t like this event for NYC in one post? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RU848789 said:

And here's the map for NWS-Philly, as well as the latest NBM.  Still no real support for more than 3" from any of the globals.  I hope the NWS and others predicting more than that have it right.  

Xce0YLN.png

JzUy0il.png

I think the snow growth and lift is what their banking on which is depicted by some of the short range models 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

I think the snow growth and lift is what their banking on which is depicted by some of the short range models 

This is what Upton has for Staten Island I don’t get it lol their discussion says 2-3

Friday
Snow. Total snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches. Highs in the lower 30s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Gusts up to 20 mph in the afternoon. Chance of snow 90 percent. 
Friday Night
Mostly cloudy. A chance of snow in the evening. Lows around 18. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of snow 50 percent.

12 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

Had some blockbuster events though....the Jan 82 storm that brought the DC flight down into the Potomac, the April 82 blizzard, followed by the Feb 83 blockbuster....then nothing til Jan 87. That was it for the whole decade, really...

Those are the only three storms I remember from the 80s.... the funny thing about the January 1982 storm is I remember the news reports about the flight going down much more than I remember the snow lol.  I remember April 1982 very clearly, I woke up at 3 am to see the first flakes fall, so I was keeping up to date with the forecasts for that storm even back then lol, it's my very first clear snowfall memory at the tender age of 8.  I even remember we got another snow event at the end of that week in the middle of the day on the 10th.  And February 1983 was the first snowstorm I ever experienced on Long Island after our move there the previous November and my first 2 foot storm!

January 1987 was our first 6"+ storm since February 1983, so I remember that well too.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

And here's the map for NWS-Philly, as well as the latest NBM.  Still no real support for more than 3" from any of the globals.  I hope the NWS and others predicting more than that have it right.  

Xce0YLN.png

JzUy0il.png

My only comment: The GFS/EC were significantly underdone on qpf the 16th (ice and flake size compromised reported snow amounts, but absolutely no question those globals we're under done for there 16th-the data is in the 16th thread).  If it was only the globals that were reliable, then no need for high res, which can be overamped but also can be a bit more reliable. 

Also on the dry air... eating up snow I80 north... could be, but if it snows a touch north of I80 midday today and near I80 this evening-some modeling has this, then the more dynamic event tomorrow should be able to produce hazardous snowfall of your choice amounts (frozen ground in our NYC subforum and road treatments will be necessary I think in this Drive Carefully event. 

I think I'll go to work today and not worry. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

Well in fairness, you had snow on ground for a week. there was a possibility of 0 for a while there last weekend.

It’s disappointing but we have snow on the ground and will get more tomorrow to freshen it up. Hopefully the NWS is right in it being more aggressive. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I generally never used it this far out.  I do know its very good on the mean inside 24 usually.  I am still surprised to see a mean of 5 and max of 8-10 though

I don't recommend using the HREF snowfall totals verbatim.  Its snow-liquid ratios tend to be too high.  IMHO, Best to take the probability-matched mean QPF and then convert to snowfall using expected snow-liquid ratios (should be generally 15 to 18-1 in this case).

SREF PMM 24 hour prec forecast valid 19 Jan 2024 - init 18 Jan 0Z.png

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Allsnow said:

I think 2-3 is a good forecast for nyc. I don’t understand the negativity this morning 

because NYC metro is still in a snow drought like it or not with only around 2 inches through January 18 and I would bet we will tracking dry slots tomorrow with many areas ending up underperforming and south Jersey getting at least twice as much as the metro...........

2 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

because NYC metro is still in a snow drought like it or not with only around 2 inches through January 18 and I would bet we will tracking dry slots tomorrow with many areas ending up underperforming and south Jersey getting at least twice as much as the metro...........

Being in a snow drought is more reason to enjoy a nice 2-3 of snow on top of old snow…

• Like 6

2 hours ago, snowman19 said:

People are thinking this because generally IVT verify north of where they are progged to be

This should be better than the last storm, 3" isn't outside the realm of possibility.  I would say that 3-4" is probably the most anyone should be hoping for.