• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 15th-17th 2024 Arctic Blast/Snow Event

John1122

Nice flurries here tonight as well. It has snowed off and on all day today. Hate that I can’t stay for round 2 on Thursday and Friday. Thankful to be only 5 hours away and get to live like yall do once or twice a year in the winter.

• Like 9

Interesting satellite imagery this afternoon. Not quite clear enough to see the snow cut off line yet, but some of the features we have talked about before, especially some leeside convergence
1BCKro3.png
I have outlined in magenta the approximate outline of Frozen Head/ Cross mt and High Knob. Outside the Smokies, these are the highest mountains in our area. To the lee side (downwind of the topography) you can see low level wind convergence producing plumes of clouds, what I've pointed black arrows at.
They almost look like litt;e funnels on Infrared imagery. 
QnZ96ID.png
Because this is only a 2D image, I can't tell if the spreading out is lift, the mountains blocking the flow, or a combo of the two. 

Here's a gif so you can see it in motion:
giphy.gif
Also notice how the Smokies kind of shunt the flow toward lower peaks on either side. 

Finally, even though eastern areas haven't cleared out yet, here is an absolutely gorgeous mesoscale floater look at the TN Valley:
qEtZHRv.png

Great post as always….

IMO this is the biggest reason why the Central Valley doesn’t have more tornadoes when you have cells traveling SW-NE. A south to SE low level wind gets disrupted because of the southern valley mountains. It’s why I’ve said before that cells moving east or SE has more of an opportunity to rotate because NE low level winds give you enough degree of intercept.

• Like 3

-2 and power just went out, gonna be a fun morning 
Ouch not good! I've just fallen below zero now. Being by the river I think tends to keep my spot a little warmer, if 0 is warm. Probably fall a few more degrees at least before sunrise, so probably low of -3 for me. PWS in my area away from the river are colder -4 to -8.
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Silas Lang said:

-5 is what my thermometer shows. 

We are still going down, right now down to -9.9 coldest I have recorded been here since April 1997; as a kid I can recall the record cold of 1985 where Nashville bottomed out @ -17 a record that still stands to this day 

• Like 3

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic