Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 15th-17th 2024 Arctic Blast/Snow Event

John1122

3 minutes ago, fountainguy97 said:

Clearly some form of warm nose has remained anchored over the mid-valley.  Notice how that bright banding (blue which indicates melting aloft) hits a wall and changes to white across NE TN.  Pretty neat to watch unfold.IMG_1281.thumb.jpeg.8e1148c3987083a09d87c3c8ee9a2f69.jpeg

What a weird barrier I-40 is. An odd look overall. 

3 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Sitting at about 5.25" of snow.  I hate it for the rest of the TRI folks who were dealing with snow/rain issues.  Probably will come close to 6" of snow if these last bands work out.

6" here. Suddenly stopped as broken area coming through. Some of those showers with the batch coming off eastern plateau are heavy and may put down a quick inch or two. I expect you to get 8-10 at least Carver. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Daniel Boone said:

6" here. Suddenly stopped as broken area coming through. Some of those showers with the batch coming off eastern plateau are heavy and may put down a quick inch or two. I expect you to get 8-10 at least Carver. 

I got the goose feathers and it stopped for about 10 minutes then picked back up. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, fountainguy97 said:

Our main show is exiting over the next couple of hours. Then we have several several hours of lighter and spotty precip behind.  What Ptype will it be? No one knows lolIMG_1282.thumb.jpeg.df5dfdebcfa630927f70d1ba1fe69253.jpeg

We've had a cycle of massive heavy snow, to tiny grapule/sleet, bigger sleet, snow/sleet, back to massive flakes. 

This has repeated every 10-15 mins for a few hours it seems.

Currently sleeping and 23, just shy of 8"

• Like 2

Just went on a long drive out to the Rhea/Roane county line. Spring City might get a foot. They had over 6" when I left and it was snowing about as hard as I have ever seen. I parked my truck for 20 minutes and got just under 2" on the mirrors and the toolbox.
Yep I'm right across the river from Spring City and I'm measuring 9 inches.
  • Like 2

Right at 8in now! That band from Knoxville pulled right up over my area. I have literally been right on the line for the rain/sleet/snow today. Bays Mtn seems to have kept the west 1/3 of county heavy snow with little to no mixing. If I had any I don’t know when it was. Meanwhile out by I81 it was very little snow until the last hour. I think they have had about 1.5in. Such a sharp gradient in this county! I don’t ever remember seeing such a big difference in snowfall.

• Like 1

Got out and rode around Knoxville for a few hours. Roads going downhill fast. Knox County doing their best to scrape/plow, but the rates were so high that their tracks were covered within seconds. UT campus isn’t much better. Saw a pile of snow that had been removed from the roads that was a good 8+ feet tall.

Biggest idiot drivers - those in pickup trucks. Apparently they are invincible in regards to ANY road conditions. I had to pull over several times to let them pass me because they were riding my rear end.

Second group of idiot drivers - people in Chevy and GMC SUV’s. Don’t know why it was this specific brand, but they were about as bad as the pickup trucks.

Thirds group of idiots - smaller crossover SUV’s.

Either I was over cautious, or they were over confident. All of them were flying around and treating the roads/conditions as just another normal day. I have drove enough off road at Windrock and Royal Blue that I respect the conditions and know how to operate my Jeep to keep it under control. And more so, I know how to react when things start going wrong. Doubt I could say the same for them.

Overall…..had fun out riding around!!! Stay safe and be careful if anyone has to get out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I think we have a combo of things causing the mixing. That's why it's hard to pinpoint. For my local. I'm at 2000ft. The sounding below is hrrr initialization which is off at the surface. I'm currently at 32.0. I highly doubt I'm having warm nose melting. I think rates slack and I lose moisture in the DGZ (yellow portion of the red line) as you can see with the green and red separation.

also. The DGZ is super high between 550-650mb or roughly 11,000-15,000. That's HIGH. Most of the moisture is well below that. Typically it's much much lower. I think that's the smoking gun for the issues with Ptype today. Unusually high DGZ.

so I think that's likely going to cause problems tonight during this final portion of the storm.

outside my local in the valley I think it's a combo of the extra elevation of warmth and this that's causing issues.  

IMG_1284.thumb.jpeg.5ea4becd32a0fe6988088f84138374f8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic