• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 15th-17th 2024 Arctic Blast/Snow Event

John1122

It looks like it in counties that touch 40 in East Tn and points south. The globals are the best case scenario, giving 12/13:1 over those areas but it lowers into the 10:1 range as the day wears on. The Canadian/GFS look similar. The hi-res models seem to see more warmth but it may be a bias with them. At one point on the NAM your area has 11:1 ratios and McGhee-Tys is closer to 7:1.
Yeah I think a lot of bias is playing into the ratio forecasting much like mixing is. I think the depth and strength of the cold isn't really being modeled well by most and that ratios will be higher likely than most models are showing.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, John1122 said:

It looks like it in counties that touch 40 in East Tn and points south. The globals are the best case scenario, giving 12/13:1 over those areas but it lowers into the 10:1 range as the day wears on. The Canadian does the same. The hi-res models seem to see more warmth but it may be a bias with them. At one point on the NAM your area has 11:1 ratios and McGhee-Tys is closer to 7:1.

Good points John. I know the Nam and HRRR have a warm bias here. Remember 21-'22 Winter my seasonal was 29.7". If the HRRR had been right it would of been less than 10 !

• Like 2

CMC and HRRR with slight NW trends. For Nashville metro, you take the 15z HRRR over 12z 10/10. Hopefully, the extent of the NW precip shield expands to include more of the populace. Still worried about dry air north of 40/west of 65. Regardless, that 700 jet will be howling over my location.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, ShawnEastTN said:
14 minutes ago, John1122 said:
It looks like it in counties that touch 40 in East Tn and points south. The globals are the best case scenario, giving 12/13:1 over those areas but it lowers into the 10:1 range as the day wears on. The Canadian/GFS look similar. The hi-res models seem to see more warmth but it may be a bias with them. At one point on the NAM your area has 11:1 ratios and McGhee-Tys is closer to 7:1.

Yeah I think a lot of bias is playing into the ratio forecasting much like mixing is. I think the depth and strength of the cold isn't really being modeled well by most and that ratios will be higher likely than most models are showing.

So...if this bias is showing in the short range models, does that mean some locations could possibly see something like 50% more snow than modeled? Goodness. 

• Like 3

I don't mean to sound like a Debbie downer, but I've seen this set-up over the years bring major disappointment to snowlovers in Chattanooga. I'm cautiously optimistic we are on the cold side of the precip, but I can't help but be concerned about the lurking warm air nearby. What I'm seeing is Chattanooga (the southern area bordering Georgia) will be in the 34°-36° temperature range tomorrow for a good portion of the day. Atlanta might even reach 50°. We aren't that far from Atlanta. I would really hate to see the Arctic cold air stall just to our north and west and keep us mainly in a mixed bag of precip until the changeover.

All the pros on here, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I really do see that as a HUGE concern for Chattanooga.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, ShawnEastTN said:

Speaking of OBS, are we going to use this thread for OBS as well or new thread?

I prefer the same thread for everything but whatever anyone else wants. (I go back and read these during the off-season and like not having to go through multiple threads to get from predictions to results.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, John1122 said:

I prefer the same thread for everything but whatever anyone else wants. (I go back and read these during the off-season and like not having to go through multiple threads to get from predictions to results.)

Agreed

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

I don't mean to sound like a Debbie downer, but I've seen this set-up over the years bring major disappointment to snowlovers in Chattanooga. I'm cautiously optimistic we are on the cold side of the precip, but I can't help but be concerned about the lurking warm air nearby. What I'm seeing is Chattanooga (the southern area bordering Georgia) will be in the 34°-36° temperature range tomorrow for a good portion of the day. Atlanta might even reach 50°. We aren't that far from Atlanta. I would really hate to see the Arctic cold air stall just to our north and west and keep us mainly in a mixed bag of precip until the changeover.

All the pros on here, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I really do see that as a HUGE concern for Chattanooga.

There are best and worse case scenarios for your area that are more extreme than most others. But to get the heaviest snow sometimes being right next to the change over to rain is best. Best case for you guys looks like the RGEM. It stays plenty cold and snows all over Hamilton Co even to the border. Worst case is the 3k NAM, but it's more in the way the precip lines up. I will say this in my experience. If you start off as snow in a situation like this, it's normally harder to change over to freezing rain/sleet because the Arctic air is seeping in more and more as the event takes place and the snow helps cool the column. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Silas Lang said:

So...if this bias is showing in the short range models, does that mean some locations could possibly see something like 50% more snow than modeled? Goodness. 

Reading the latest MRX discussion, they seem to think most likely ratio is 12 to 1 to 15 to 1 ratios area wide. They only mention the southern border counties as the only exception. 

Seems they are not worried about warm air and also mention wherever the area of .50 to .80 precipitation sets up could get well beyond 6 inches. They seem very bullish overall. Don't see that often! 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Silas Lang said:

I look at it more as achieving what's modeled. I honestly take the snowfall maps and shave 30-40 percent off and expect that as actual snow accumulation. Occasionally you get to 100 percent or more, but it's way more common to get in that 60-70 percent range. That's more reasonable and why MRX says 3-6 inches with possible dollops of higher amounts. 

• Like 2

I don't know if I remember the year accurately but in the 2010's we had a similar overrunning event like this initially MRX forecast 2-5" for central valley and 1-2 southern valley, 3-6 for plateau, northeast & mountains. As the event unfolded it way way over performed in ratios and energy including a lee low. As the night dragged on they kept updating the totals until most everyone was forecast 10"-12" even southern valley. I ended that storm at 10". There are definitely times we score well beyond initial forecast in these setups. Though for every over score we probably have 2 busts.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jaxjagman said:

Short range models look more faster with this system.HRRR even shows some mixing almost all the way to the Ky border but the thermal profiles dont support that

Not sure why but some of the models have been depicting p-types that aren't temp supported. Several have shown rain as the dominant p-type around the s/se side of the precip field but temps never getting out of the 20s while it shows it. I've never seen it before with model outputs. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

It is a valid concern. I'm in the same boat here 5 miles from the NC/TN border. The hrrr is ticking north in the mid range now. 

I would expect mixing for you and myself Monday during peak heating atleast. 

Just now, ShawnEastTN said:
1 minute ago, Jesse from KY said:
I am just curious if NWS Jackson will upgrade some of the TN/VA border counties to a Warning.

Probably if it begins over producing they will. Very possible those border counties in KY might over perform.

It sure wouldn't hurt my feelings if we overperformed! Lol.

• Like 3

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic