• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential extensive winter event, I-95 west and with again a chance for NYC first inch(es) of snow Mon or more likely Tue Jan 16, 2024 (serves as OBS thread as well)

wdrag

13 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

Radar is not picking everything up it is still coming down steady and  lightly in its dry slot you shouldn't be shutting off totally - I am 10 miles west of Staten Island I have 3/4 of an inch only on the ground

Not here - that hole is a hole in Metuchen - barely a flurry now and it looks like it could kill most of an hour for me.  

• Sad 1

Just now, RU848789 said:

Not here - that hole is a hole in Metuchen - barely a flurry now and it looks like it could kill most of an hour for me.  

i am a few miles northeast of you and I just looked same here  flurries

14 minutes ago, WxDom said:

Hey RJay, yep met here. Holding down the fort at OKX tonight. Just measured 0.8" so far on eastern Long Island.

image.thumb.jpeg.8e3d9dc152b16c4173610f4c6727a675.jpeg

Ok great!  Thanks for all your hard work. We'll get you a meteorologist tag. We'll message you privately. 

• Like 3

Currently the coastal is off or just inland from the nc/sc border. The echos are building over the ocean as we speak. Also there is energy coming in from the west, if they end up blowing up near delmarva is another story. Nyc should continue to snow this morning, precip is developing over philly moving straight to us here in the metro and closing the snow hole in the next 30 mins or so...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bxstormwatcher360 said:

Follow the pressure drops. Its gonna be a coastal really soon.

barometric-pressure.png

the HRR is overdone and I have my doubts about the coastal increasing coverage around here

hrrr_ref_frzn_neus_1.png

Just got back from responding to a shore-power electrical fault alarm on a 62 foot viking yacht at local Marina.   Temp is 29 and freezing rain has made everything glazed and crunchy.  The owner of the vessel didn't Lock the 50Amp plug grommet in place, resulting in ice shorting out the breaker on the bulkhead. 

Very treacherous docks to be walking on.  Problem quickly resolved.   Main Road was fine, but side streets are an Icy mess.  Took some measurements before crawling back into bed.  We now have a compacted 2.25-2.5 inches. 

Fun little storm.  Friday has the potential to be a good storm to track.  Winter is here.   Hope we can capitalize before the mild and stalled out crud Locks in next weekend.  We don't need anymore rain in coastal ocean county.  

• Weenie 1

3 hours ago, RU848789 said:

As of 1 am, we're up to 1.1", so we had about another 1/4" last hour, but the radar has dried up to our SW and it's heading here, so expecting less this next hour, unless that fairly large hole closes up. Still 24F. Probably going to nap for a few hours...

After a snooze, just checked the radar history and after an hour of nearly nothing, snow picked back up around 2:30 pm and then became moderate around 3:30 pm and I went out in it around 4:30 pm and measured 1.6" with the temp now at 25F. It is really pretty out there with moderately falling beautiful dendrites and nearly no wind. Had a nice little walk in the silent snow.

The NWS cut back on snowfall a bit for the 95 corridor from Philly to NYC, down to 3-4" and SE of 95 to 2-3", as per the maps. Not a surprise with a bit less snow falling overnight vs. the forecast and with a mix (and maybe plain rain) probably occurring SE of 95 by 7-9 am and a mix by 9-11 am for 95 (based on a few point/click forecasts I looked at - the AFD wasn't very helpful). 

When any changeover to non-snow occurs will be critical in whether the 95 corridor gets to 3-4", as we're going to need to get a few hours of at least moderate snowfall to get there after the coastal starts to crank by 6-7 am, according to the discussion. Pretty sure most of the area SE of 95 already has their 2-3" or will by 6-7 am, based on posts I've seen on the weather boards.

2DxECDx.png

ngr9CdF.png

Just flipped over to sleet. 3.5" on the ground here along the bayfront. Heavier band pushing through in a few minutes, might flip it back to snow. Otherwise think that's about it for me here. Side residential roads are a little slushy but main roads have more visible asphalt than not.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, greenmtnwx said:

Other than some light snow showers or light mix it looks like snow is generally wrapping up in the New York City area

I actually think the best snows are still to come,everything that is blowing up to our west is going to start moving east and consolidate near the coast. Depending on where the coastal is or how it strong develops,it might still be snowing/mix thruout the day.

Coming in from my morning jebwalk to the store,im actually shocked to see almost 2 inches down..its been snowing even when nothing is shown on radar too. I can see us reaching 3+ depending on where the mix line makes it,either way we go back to snow on the backside which i think we bank on later.