• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/8-1/10 Potential Winter Storm

57 minutes ago, madwx said:

31/29 here.  should be off to the races once it starts.  would expect snow to begin in 2 hours or so.  models have backed off morning snow a bit here but really get things cranking with the defo band in the afternoon

Yeah this is looking like its going to be anice hit for us. But I am not looking forward to the drive on 151 during that defo band tomorrow afternoon and tomorrow night. That's not going to be fun. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thundersnow12 said:

Borchardt coming into work tonight for LOT and just straight up disagreeing with previous shifts snowfall forecast. Loser 

Wow... Cliff's notes version reading the 822 PM update pretty much is "the snowfall guidance from the prior shift is way too high but the impacts are the same."

Flakes in Elgin started around 9:30 PM. 

Steady snow at night in January at 32-33 degrees can definitely coat roads. Ground is never all that warm in January. Although I slightly downplayed amounts in NE IL tonight, it'll be slick when it's snowing with this denser wet snow...and some of the obs in this thread from where it's snowing and down to 32-33 seem to suggest it can accum at a half decent rate where the heavier returns are. 

1 hour ago, StormChaser4Life said:

A lot of mixing issues here thus far. Longer than what models depicted. Definitely getting nervous totals going to bust here tonight. 

I was in Peoria about 1.5 hours ago and drove out to Farmington. In town is was white rain and even on 474 around to the jail. Once I got between jail and Hanna City is was ripping snow and road was pretty bad by 8:20. It took me just under an hour to get from Binny’s to Farmington.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Thundersnow12 said:

Borchardt coming into work tonight for LOT and just straight up disagreeing with previous shifts snowfall forecast. Loser 

Was gonna comment how confused I was reading that. Seems like things trended wetter and maybe snowier across much of the area. I thought 6:1 ratios were expected all along.

The updated LOT snow grids are about 1-2" lower on average than the prior, with similar or slightly higher (by about 0.05") QPF. It's not a big change. Storms with a ton of QPF, a period of heavy rates and low ratios are horrible for the roads and are very impactful. With that said, temperatures across most of the LOT forecast area will be 31-33 degrees during most of the snow (warmer along the lake and mainly at or slightly above freezing (even inland) during peak heating). It will be hard to measure high totals. Someone certainly can where the band pivots...2"/hour adds up fast. But where those heavy rates aren't quite as persistent it'll be harder to stack it that fast. Doesn't reduce the impact. Getting 1-1.20" of QPF as wet snow followed by gusty winds is definitely enough of a combo for power-outage concerns, especially where it's near or slightly above freezing for a good portion of the snow. 

• Like 2

So how do the updated grids (which has me at 5-10 for the next 24 hours based on the update Borchardt seems to have done a few minutes ago) match up with this posting from 8:51 PM that shows 8-12 (based on the Probabilistic Forecasts)?

Not knocking anyone, just wondering how different numbers can come from a NWS office within an hour of each other and it looks like Borchardt published the 8:51 PM update too?

https://www.weather.gov/lot/winter

12 minutes ago, michaelmantis said:

So how do the updated grids (which has me at 5-10 for the next 24 hours based on the update Borchardt seems to have done a few minutes ago) match up with this posting from 8:51 PM that shows 8-12 (based on the Probabilistic Forecasts)?

Not knocking anyone, just wondering how different numbers can come from a NWS office within an hour of each other and it looks like Borchardt published the 8:51 PM update too?

https://www.weather.gov/lot/winter

I'm seeing snow maps on that page from 3:36 PM still. I looked at the NDFD (NWS forecast grids) on WxBell, the snow amounts went down about 1-2" from the 3:36 PM forecast.

The rest of my post isn't addressed at anyone in particular so not lecturing, just explaining. I'm not sure what LOT does, but in eastern region we have mandatory near term updates every 3 hours. I'm guessing they have similar at LOT. Evening shift is more than entitled to another look at the forecast based on observed trends, rapid update models, early arriving 0z models, etc...and yes even another set of eyes. Different mets are allowed to have slightly different interpretations. Evening shift involves a full set of TAF (airport forecast) updates which is extremely important for ORD and MDW. It's also the last look at the forecast before the morning commute, so if it's snowing during the morning commute it's the last chance to message it with leadtime. I don't see this as a drastic change by LOT this evening or as anything that's out of the ordinary to tweak a high-impact forecast for an ongoing winter storm. Given how mild this storm is, slightly lower numbers are always a risk. Still should be fun and exciting tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WeatherMonger said:

Imagine being in MI tonight. Half of them have traded off a storm for a championship and the other half traded off a championship for a storm :lol:

I'll take the National Championship thank you :thumbsup: :D

• Like 1